Samsung Pay and Discount Memberships

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
For some reason the last two times I've tried to scan my membership discount cards it hasn't worked. Thankfully I still had the actual cards with me but I don't understand why it isn't working. It worked on my last Note 7 and I've even rescanned the one card multi times.

Anyone else having issues or suggestions on how to fix?

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
For some reason the last two times I've tried to scan my membership discount cards it hasn't worked. Thankfully I still had the actual cards with me but I don't understand why it isn't working. It worked on my last Note 7 and I've even rescanned the one card multi times.

Oddly enough the same thing started happening to me with my local Shoprite. I have no issue with my gym card and that still works. The gym even uses the old style laser scanners and it still works (and often overlooked feature of Samsung phones).

It worked perfectly on my Note 5 and my first Note 7. It hasn't worked at Shoprite even once with this replacement Note 7. I know the Mobeam technology is working because my gym card works but I find it hard to believe it's an issue with the phone itself. I downloaded Beep'N'Go, which is what I used before Samsung Pay supported membership cards, and will try it next time I'm there.

What store isn't working for you?

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Come to think about it, my Harris teeter card wouldn't scan when last I tried. I guess I thought it was the scanner

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I have tried using one particular membership card and it does not work though it did with my original Note 7. I hope Samsung addresses this issue.

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Same problem. My King Soopers card worked on my last phone but not on the new one. Samsung pay works great for my credit card though. I don't understand why

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OMG I'm so glad I'm not crazy. Worked flawlessly on my original note. Giant and Weis are the two I've tried and failed.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
OMG I'm so glad I'm not crazy. Worked flawlessly on my original note. Giant and Weis are the two I've tried and failed.

It could be due to the latest Samsung Pay update that lets them restore membership cards when you switch devices. I tried going back to an older version but the app immediately forced me to upgrade and wouldn't let me use it without it.

I'll try to open a case with Samsung today. I'd suggest we all do the same to help it get some attention.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
It could be due to the latest Samsung Pay update that lets them restore membership cards when you switch devices. I tried going back to an older version but the app immediately forced me to upgrade and wouldn't let me use it without it.

I'll try to open a case with Samsung today. I'd suggest we all do the same to help it get some attention.

I actually wondered this as well since this is the first time in all my times installing it that it "restored" prior cards. And I've had to install it at least 6 times (don't ask).

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine were restored when I got on my replacement phone. I tried deleting and then adding my rewards card agan and that didn't seem to help. I was then worried that it was a hardware issue. Hopefully there is an easy fix and soon!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine were restored when I got on my replacement phone. I tried deleting and then adding my rewards card agan and that didn't seem to help. I was then worried that it was a hardware issue. Hopefully there is an easy fix and soon!

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and I still have the problem. Looks like the Samsung Pay app needs an update.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I've only used it for my Costco and BJs cards and they both worked fine.

Some cards are definitely still working. My gym membership card, which isn't a national chain and is just a local place, still works. That proves the Mobeam technology is still working. Why it's not working for several store cards is a mystery but I'm hopeful it's just a bug in the latest Samsung Pay.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they have an agreement with certain companies to use them and that changed recently?

The issue doesn't appear to be related to agreements with specific companies. Keep reading to see why.

I just opened a case with Samsung Pay Support to make sure they were aware of it. They initially had me delete the membership card and then clear the cache on the Samsung Pay Framework and on Samsung Pay itself. Once I did that they had me add the card back in and they said this has resolved the issue for other people.

I did that and then went to the same grocery store and I still had the same problem. I'd be interested to hear if this resolves the issue for anyone else but I doubt it.

I also had the Beep'N'Go app on my phone and the same Shoprite card loaded in there. I tried that and it worked immediately. Beep'N'Go uses the same Mobeam technology that Samsung Pay uses (built into Samsung phones) so that means that functionality is still working. The issue is clearly with the Samsung Pay app itself. It must not be formulating the barcode correctly. Beep'N'Go is what I used to use before Samsung Pay supported membership cards so I'll probably go back to that until they fix the problem.

It can't hurt to call and open a case for yourself so they understand the issue is widespread. The number for Samsung Pay Support is 844-726-7297.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The issue doesn't appear to be related to agreements with specific companies. Keep reading to see why.

I just opened a case with Samsung Pay Support to make sure they were aware of it. They initially had me delete the membership card and then clear the cache on the Samsung Pay Framework and on Samsung Pay itself. Once I did that they had me add the card back in and they said this has resolved the issue for other people.

I did that and then went to the same grocery store and I still had the same problem. I'd be interested to hear if this resolves the issue for anyone else but I doubt it.

I also had the Beep'N'Go app on my phone and the same Shoprite card loaded in there. I tried that and it worked immediately. Beep'N'Go uses the same Mobeam technology that Samsung Pay uses (built into Samsung phones) so that means that functionality is still working. The issue is clearly with the Samsung Pay app itself. It must not be formulating the barcode correctly. Beep'N'Go is what I used to use before Samsung Pay supported membership cards so I'll probably go back to that until they fix the problem.

It can't hurt to call and open a case for yourself so they understand the issue is widespread. The number for Samsung Pay Support is 844-726-7297.

I emailed Samsung and they gave me those same instructions, which I basically already did. Problem still exists but yes, everyone needs to contact Samsung.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I hope they fix it soon, too. Any chance this could be carrier related? I'm real quick to blame non functioning "out of the box" stuff on Verizon since they so enjoy gimping things...(though this clearly would be an accidental gimp that would of course be the result of another gimp they introduced).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital