New Note will NOT utilize data if home wi-fi is available - HELP!

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have always used data in my home, not wi-fi. I have a good wi-fi connection, but I have never felt the need to switch over unless I'm doing heavy downloading. There are corners in my house where wi-fi is a little weak, so I stay on Data. Never had a problem with the Note 4 and the first Note 7 (before the recall). Got the new phone a week and a half ago and . . . maybe there's a setting I'm missing - the phone basically has no connection to any type of data IN my home.

Once I turn on wi-fi, it works fine, but . . . in and around my home, it seems to sense wi-fi is available and it is refusing to utilize Data. It's NOT going to wi-fi automatically, I have to manually turn on the wi-fi.

Is there a setting I need to turn off or on or . . . what's going on here?!?! HelP!

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Settings - wireless & networks - WiFi - advanced - smart network switch.

Also try .... Settings - wireless & networks - more - download booster

I'm on Verizon fwiw

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm on Sprint... those options aren't there. I have the automatic wi-fi connection toggled off.

Smart Network Switch and Download Booster are nowhere to be found under my settings; at least, I can't seem to find them. :)

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings, Data Usage and make sure that Mobile Data is turned on. Might not be the issue since you said it's only an issue in your home.

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm also on Sprint. Settings, WiFi, toggle WiFi on, at the top you should see advanced. It's in there.

Okay - do I want "Smart Network Switch" on or off? It was off; I went ahead and toggled it on to see if it would do anything. It now says "normal switching"... which hopefully is what i want.

Edit: I think that's what I needed.

Thanks!