My strategy on flying with my Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I do not intend on interfering with the flight crew or disobeying the flight crew. So if I need to turn it off I will and take some other precautions as well. As long as the FAA will allow the Note 7 on planes I will fly with my Note 7. I know there’s a lot of paranoia ‘bout having a Note 7 on a plane. The picture below is how I plan on stowing my Note 7 in my computer bag. Hopefully people won’t get freaked out that there’s a Note 7 on board and this will allay their fears. Most people may not know what a LIPO SAFE bag is but if you race rc you should know what it is and if you don't you can google it.

20161006_183733.jpg

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if it comes to that, I'll just get a different phone. I love the note 7, but not going this route. I don't fly much, so probably not much of an issue for me.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I do not intend on interfering with the flight crew or disobeying the flight crew. So if I need to turn it off I will and take some other precautions as well. As long as the FAA will allow the Note 7 on planes I will fly with my Note 7. I know there’s a lot of paranoia ‘bout having a Note 7 on a plane. The picture below is how I plan on stowing my Note 7 in my computer bag. Hopefully people won’t get freaked out that there’s a Note 7 on board and this will allay their fears. Most people may not know what a LIPO SAFE bag is but if you race rc you should know what it is and if you don't you can google it.

View attachment 241665
So wait, do you not have one of the new ones (green battery icon)? Or is there still a flight restriction on them even if they have the green battery icon?

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the new replacement one with the green battery icon. Yesterday it was reported, but not confirmed yet, that a replacement AT&T Note 7 flamed out on a Southwest Airlines plane. Even though he allegedly had a green battery icon replacement he was instructed to power down his unit before flight.

Brian Savoir

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So wait, do you not have one of the new ones (green battery icon)? Or is there still a flight restriction on them even if they have the green battery icon?
I flew from Palm Springs Airport to LAX and then to Tokyo 2 days ago and the Crew inside the airport were checking for the green battery. It was a United Airlines flight to LAX and an ANA flight to Tokyo. I was not told that I could not use my Note 7.

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I flew from Palm Springs Airport to LAX and then to Tokyo 2 days ago and the Crew inside the airport were checking for the green battery. It was a United Airlines flight to LAX and an ANA flight to Tokyo. I was not told that I could not use my Note 7.

Did they make everyone pull out their cell phone to see what brand/model it was first? I am perfectly fine turning off my cell phone on a plane (I normally do anyway) however I just don't see how these policies are enforcable unless they are looking at every single cell phone that is carried onto the plane.

Brian Savoir

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Did they make everyone pull out their cell phone to see what brand/model it was first? I am perfectly fine turning off my cell phone on a plane (I normally do anyway) however I just don't see how these policies are enforcable unless they are looking at every single cell phone that is carried onto the plane.
To me it seemed more like an honor system. They did not mandate everyone pullout their phones they asked that if you did have a note 7 please show it. Seems like it was not a really big deal to my two flights especially the 11 hour overseas flight. I will see what happens on the way back.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have just flown 4 different SW Flight with my Note 7 replacement. They make an announcement about powering it off. No one checks. No one goes person to person asking for phones. Not once.

And prior to the replacements being issued I flew with my original more than 6 times and again NO ONE CHECKED anything.

Not one time.

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
To me it seemed more like an honor system. They did not mandate everyone pullout their phones they asked that if you did have a note 7 please show it. Seems like it was not a really big deal to my two flights especially the 11 hour overseas flight. I will see what happens on the way back.

That's what I was thinking - I'm happy to turn mine off anyway.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
It's kind of silly to have to go to these measures just to carry a modern phone on a plane (or anywhere). If it comes to this, time for a new/different phone.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh wow, that sucks but I'm also now reading that some of the newer phones have apparently caught fire....ugh...mine got up to 105° yesterday and it wasn't charging, it was just updating a ton of apps. I didn't realize I had it set on update on WiFi only (I almost never connect to WiFi).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084