What would Samsung's next course of action be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
IMG_3267.jpg

It never ends for Samsung and the Galaxy Note 7.

From that case on a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 and recently, another one in Taiwan, the Note 7 just seems to be magnetic to bad press related to battery fires.

So, Samsung would have to decide on a next course of action in response to more bad press. Note that these will come down to what they find from their lab investigations from the Southwest case.

• Inform the general public and media about the potential dangers of lithium batteries - Communication is key. The general public don't seem to be as well-informed on the potential dangers of these batteries as they should. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to be as transparent as possible and let folks know on these batteries and why they do carry a safety risk. This applies to any of the 2 possibilities (Isolated, faulty replacements) but some may accuse them of covering up the issue if it applies to the first possibility.
  • Keep selling the device as usual - If lab tests conclude that there's no serious widespread fault with the new Notes, this may be one of their options. However, considering that carriers seem weary on selling the Note, the likelihood of this is rather slim, and may also cast some more doubt over how the case is being handled.
  • Recall the device for the second time - If faults are found in the replacement devices that may be present in other replacements, one option Samsung has is to recall the device for a second time. However, this will also further damage the reputation of the Note 7 and will likely also hurt Samsung's rep as well in the mobile space. While transparency in informing what is causing these issues and the changes being made may help, a second recall would cause more PR damage.
  • Pull the plug and cut their losses - Another option Samsung has is to halt the production and sales of the Note 7 worldwide and to give current users a refund. While many seem to find this a suitable solution, it also introduces new problems as it casts some doubt over the future of Samsung's mobile portfolio and decisions, and also can make customers feel less confident in the company as the move to pull the plug would look as if Samsung had lost confidence in its own product, which may also attract more negative PR on the company, albeit for a different reason.

Basically, any decision they make will attract some form of bad PR. Recalling the device for a second time isn't ideal, but so is pulling the plug, as both will attract some form of bad PR.

It's up to Samsung to make a decision, but Samsung needs to know that what's a priority now is their current customers. The Note 7's crumbling reputation means that future sales will not be as high as initially projected, so they can forget on the prospects on it being a sales champ. What they need to focus on is what's best not only for their reputation in the future but also what ensures that customers will feel that they are sufficiently cared for.

It's a very tough balance, and it's not as easy as just announcing a recall or pulling the plug on the product.

Really, aside from getting a different device from your carrier as part of their exchange program, the one thing we can do now is to see how this develops.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's not even the Note 7 issues that have put me off Samsung. It's the fact they will only be making EDGE phones going forward, at least Flagship phones, and I want no part of it.
Google Pixel here I come

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
They should know by know. Personally just bring out the note 8 before Xmas. The same but battery fixed and gorilla glass 6 and 5 seems to be a disaster too. Whilst doing that bring back hdmi support and infra red remote

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not even the Note 7 issues that have put me off Samsung. It's the fact they will only be making EDGE phones going forward, at least Flagship phones, and I want no part of it.
Google Pixel here I come
I might be in the minority, but I haven't found issues using the edged display on my N7.

Weirdly, I was able to use an S6e+ without accidental touches, but damn, it's unergonomic and somewhat uncomfortable.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Pull the plug and cut their losses - Another option Samsung has is to halt the production and sales of the Note 7 worldwide and to give current users a refund. While many seem to find this a suitable solution, it also introduces new problems as it casts some doubt over the future of Samsung's mobile portfolio and decisions, and also can make customers feel less confident in the company as the move to pull the plug would look as if Samsung had lost confidence in its own product, which may also attract more negative PR on the company, albeit for a different reason.

I think all the options make consumers less confident in Samsung as a company, and that this option does not lower confidence any more than the others. It might be a stretch to assume that Samsung's stopping production of the Note 7 = losing confidence in their product. It could just as easily be seen as stepping up and admitting a real issue and taking care of every customer with a refund. Certainly not all owners will feel that way (particularly here in the forums), but IMO the general public would be looking to see if Samsung "did the right thing". Continuing to produce and sell Notes while additional events occur might be seen in the opposite light. I don't feel that way, but the public may very well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think all the options make consumers less confident in Samsung as a company, and that this option does not lower confidence any more than the others. It might be a stretch to assume that Samsung's stopping production of the Note 7 = losing confidence in their product. It could just as easily be seen as stepping up and admitting a real issue and taking care of every customer with a refund. Certainly not all owners will feel that way (particularly here in the forums), but IMO the general public would be looking to see if Samsung "did the right thing". Continuing to produce and sell Notes while additional events occur might be seen in the opposite light. I don't feel that way, but the public may very well.
Good point you have there.

I might also add that if they choose to go this route, they'll have to make sure that current customers are taken care of so they'll come back to the brand, whether a redesigned and slightly rebranded Note 7 or an S8 comes. Refunds are one option, but I think they need more than that just to mitigate that bad rep.

Not saying they will, and as an owner, I don't think it's all that suitable, but it's something to think about.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
As a compensation for us Note 7 customers who have been affected by these on going concerns it may be a good idea for Samsung to provide us not only credit for the Note we own now but a slight discount to any future purchases of a S8 or Note 8 ??

This will provide " damage control " and give us an incentive to return to them.

Heck I'd be " okay " with a year's worth of pedicures haaaaaaa

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
As a compensation for us Note 7 customers who have been affected by these on going concerns it may be a good idea for Samsung to provide us not only credit for the Note we own now but a slight discount to any future purchases of a S8 or Note 8 ??

This will provide " damage control " and give us an incentive to return to them.

Heck I'd be " okay " with a year's worth of pedicures haaaaaaa
I've already said Samsung should give a credit to the ones that stick it out with them on the note 7 for a note 8 or 9. And I mean the ones that stay with the note 7 and not run with their tails between their legs for another phone. Samsung needs to take care of their diehard note users that take the whole journey with them.

BarfingMonkey

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I've already said Samsung should give a credit to the ones that stick it out with them on the note 7 for a note 8 or 9. And I mean the ones that stay with the note 7 and not run with their tails between their legs for another phone. Samsung needs to take care of their diehard note users that take the whole journey with them.
They won't

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung needs to fix any problems that make the phone prone to overheating. Until that is done, they need to stop production, and do whatever it takes to fix the issues.

Saying that Lithium batteries are inherently dangerous is NOT a solution. Phones shouldn't overheat period.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung needs to fix any problems that make the phone prone to overheating. Until that is done, they need to stop production, and do whatever it takes to fix the issues.

Saying that Lithium batteries are inherently dangerous is NOT a solution. Phones shouldn't overheat period.
Lithium batteries are inherently volatile.

But that's why phones have a bunch of safeties built-in to reduce the chances of this occurring.

Something is definitely up with the Note 7.

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am happy with our Note 7's. Not paying any attention to all this other mess. All phones get hot when using them or charging.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site

It's not so much folks leaving "with their tails between their legs" as much as some folks are just fed up that this issue has not been resolved after the first recall. And it's understandably so. The majority of people out there only have one cellular device, and if they have particular restrictions placed on that device, say when traveling, that's a slight (or maybe big) inconvenience. Such is how the world is now, reliant on their mobile devices for business, entertainment, and personal purposes. People want a device that they can rely on for the amount of money they invested. Nothing wrong with that.

I doubt Samsung would offer N7 owners any thing significant to remain with their brand since most of us have received at least the promotional items retailed at $150 or more. Some of us even applied for promotional items multiple times, coming away with a few hundred dollars worth of things.

Samsung owes us nothing but an apology, and a solution for what to do next if folks decide to stay with them.

olga421

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
No issues with the N7 replacements here in Canada ,so I believe there some funny monkey business happening in the USA, so I dunno Samsung is a very big competent company ,and for them to release a problematic phone the second time around I dunno

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I love this phone. I don't want to give it up because I've never had a phone that I enjoy more. Maybe it will be good because I'll get something done other than playing around on it all day. Sigh!

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 241743

It never ends for Samsung and the Galaxy Note 7.

From that case on a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 and recently, another one in Taiwan, the Note 7 just seems to be magnetic to bad press related to battery fires.

So, Samsung would have to decide on a next course of action in response to more bad press. Note that these will come down to what they find from their lab investigations from the Southwest case.

• Inform the general public and media about the potential dangers of lithium batteries - Communication is key. The general public don't seem to be as well-informed on the potential dangers of these batteries as they should. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to be as transparent as possible and let folks know on these batteries and why they do carry a safety risk. This applies to any of the 2 possibilities (Isolated, faulty replacements) but some may accuse them of covering up the issue if it applies to the first possibility.
  • Keep selling the device as usual - If lab tests conclude that there's no serious widespread fault with the new Notes, this may be one of their options. However, considering that carriers seem weary on selling the Note, the likelihood of this is rather slim, and may also cast some more doubt over how the case is being handled.
  • Recall the device for the second time - If faults are found in the replacement devices that may be present in other replacements, one option Samsung has is to recall the device for a second time. However, this will also further damage the reputation of the Note 7 and will likely also hurt Samsung's rep as well in the mobile space. While transparency in informing what is causing these issues and the changes being made may help, a second recall would cause more PR damage.
  • Pull the plug and cut their losses - Another option Samsung has is to halt the production and sales of the Note 7 worldwide and to give current users a refund. While many seem to find this a suitable solution, it also introduces new problems as it casts some doubt over the future of Samsung's mobile portfolio and decisions, and also can make customers feel less confident in the company as the move to pull the plug would look as if Samsung had lost confidence in its own product, which may also attract more negative PR on the company, albeit for a different reason.

Basically, any decision they make will attract some form of bad PR. Recalling the device for a second time isn't ideal, but so is pulling the plug, as both will attract some form of bad PR.

It's up to Samsung to make a decision, but Samsung needs to know that what's a priority now is their current customers. The Note 7's crumbling reputation means that future sales will not be as high as initially projected, so they can forget on the prospects on it being a sales champ. What they need to focus on is what's best not only for their reputation in the future but also what ensures that customers will feel that they are sufficiently cared for.

It's a very tough balance, and it's not as easy as just announcing a recall or pulling the plug on
Really, aside from getting a different device from your carrier as part of their exchange program, the one thing we can do now is to see how this develops.
It's simple to me.( Does that make me simple😀). Samsung, for long term reasons must do the right thing(and be perceived by the public as doing so). Stop the sale of the Note 7. Recall all Note 7 phones presently in circulation. Locate all incendiary problems the device has and solve them. Resume sales of the Note line with a Note 7S moniker thus distancing the company from the Note 7 and implying the problem has been finally solved.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's not so much folks leaving "with their tails between their legs" as much as some folks are just fed up that this issue has not been resolved after the first recall. And it's understandably so. The majority of people out there only have one cellular device, and if they have particular restrictions placed on that device, say when traveling, that's a slight (or maybe big) inconvenience. Such is how the world is now, reliant on their mobile devices for business, entertainment, and personal purposes. People want a device that they can rely on for the amount of money they invested. Nothing wrong with that.

I doubt Samsung would offer N7 owners any thing significant to remain with their brand since most of us have received at least the promotional items retailed at $150 or more. Some of us even applied for promotional items multiple times, coming away with a few hundred dollars worth of things.

Samsung owes us nothing but an apology, and a solution for what to do next if folks decide to stay with them.
Either way, the ones that a the ride to the end

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Either way, the ones that a the ride to the end

I think Samsung owes us more than an apology after we forked over almost $1000 for a dangerous life threatening device - not to mention the hassling and inconvenience. Some people may have made off with some goodies by ordering early, even though at this point it looks more like a con. But many of us received only a cheepo $25 discount.

So yeah, IMHO we're owed more than a simple apology.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think Samsung owes us more than an apology after we forked over almost $1000 for a dangerous life threatening device - not to mention the hassling and inconvenience. Some people may have made off with some goodies by ordering early, even though at this point it looks more like a con. But many of us received only a cheepo $25 discount.

You are able to return for refund and get your money back.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

3 free possible gifts from the samsung promos, 25 dollar discount, and you are still able to get a refund if you return the device....what more can you want from the company????....samsung has given you enough

Status
Not open for further replies.