If You Wanna Keep Your N7, come in

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
When mine is completely disabled, then I will search for a new phone. And yes I'm aware of the recall and no I won't blame Sammy if something happens.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok good just saw on CNN that we have starting October 13th until December 31st to return or exchange the Note 7. Hopefully, carriers will oblige by this.

I find this whole fiasco fascinating (and BEYOND infuriating). There is no recall in the truest sense of the word (YET!). I have received no communication from Samsung nor Verizon this go around as I did last time. Both reached out to me via email and text message after the first recall. What if I weren't a techie that reads tech blogs, trade journals, boards, subreddits, etc.? How would I know?

BTW, before you select few that seem to love to bounce from thread to thread shaming people that are reluctant to give up their phone, give it a rest. I'm not flying, not sleeping over at your house and live way out in the country.

If last night's statement from Samsung (populated via www ONLY) is their only communication to the consumer until they brick the device I will be even more angry at them than I am now.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
When mine is completely disabled, then I will search for a new phone. And yes I'm aware of the recall and no I won't blame Sammy if something happens.

Now that there is documentation of you knowing :) , you might not be able to blame them (legally), if something does happen. I hope nothing does. Stay safe ..

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Though I agree 100% with the sentiment and think the Note 7 is truly the greatest device ever, I think we might not be able to keep it. This might be the first device for safety reasons the IMEI could be killed. I expect phases, depending on the CPSC as example for the US.

1. A public announcement of a deadline
2. Emails to current active owners
3. A firmware update cutting charge to a very low amount
4. The IMEI numbers killed

I would normally be the person saying BS to this, but within the next few weeks not surprised if this happens. At a bare minimum, there will be zero support for any problems and no updates. Gear VR support is already killed.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I find this whole fiasco fascinating (and BEYOND infuriating). There is no recall in the truest sense of the word (YET!). I have received no communication from Samsung nor Verizon this go around as I did last time. Both reached out to me via email and text message after the first recall. What if I weren't a techie that reads tech blogs, trade journals, boards, subreddits, etc.? How would I know?

BTW, before you select few that seem to love to bounce from thread to thread shaming people that are reluctant to give up their phone, give it a rest. I'm not flying, not sleeping over at your house and live way out in the country.

If last night's statement from Samsung (populated via www ONLY) is their only communication to the consumer until they brick the device I will be even more angry at them than I am now.

Honestly, Samsung never said it will not bring the phone back to life. I could see them waiting until after the 1st of the year and brining it back as the S7E Pro...but it will look just like the Note7. My guess is the Note line "as a name" is probably dead.

I actually like that better...3 lines:
S 5.1
SE 5.5
SE Pro 5.7+ with pen

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Now that there is documentation of you knowing :) , you might not be able to blame them (legally), if something does happen. I hope nothing does. Stay safe ..

I am aware of the risk (extremely small) and yes it is documented. I would even go as far as to willingly sign a waiver to continue to use the phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK.. first, Samsung will work to disable the phone remotely, and yes, you can choose to turn off updates if you choose. But carriers can easily block the phone from working on their network... I suspect that it might come to that if they see any sort of significant number of models still in use. They know you have a Note 7, and they've all pretty much already abandoned it.

I fully expect the phone to get blacklisted at some point in the not-so distant future.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Getting rid of a phone that will not receive updates or security patches means you're a quitter? If I had a N7 I most certainly would return it. I know chances are slim that your N7 will catch on fire but if it does at this point the fault is on you. They are giving people the option to return the phone for something different and new so you should take it.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
It shocks me to read those who want to sign waivers, assume liability, etc just to use this phone.

Do you REALLY want to be 100% liable for when your phone explodes? What if it happens in a: restaurant, mall, cab, your car, your home, your apartment complex (where others live!), your school, work, etc, etc etc. Your insurance (renters, homeowners, auto) is NOT going to cover losses that occur when the you were TOLD to return the device because it is dangerous. You got deep pockets to pay for those potential lawsuits? What if it explodes while you are driving and you cause a major accident and kill someone? What if it explodes and burns down your apartment complex and kills someone? What if it explodes at 30,000 feet while you're flying (even IF you shut it off, we've seen they self-destruct)? What if you burn down your place of employment? Coworkers will love you won't they?

Think about what you are saying. Be smart. It SUCKS. I wanted this phone so bad.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate to be the harbinger of bad news.

But the Note 7 is done. Finished. Dead. Zero. Nada.

No carrier is selling the phone or providing exchanges, and Samsung has not even mentioned anything about future replacement units (which seems consistent with the reports that Samsung has killed off the Note 7 for good).

Because it's done and that Samsung is asking everyone with a Note 7 to power down their phone and to return it, they won't be obligated to push any update for it. No Nougat, no security patches, no Android O, not even Action Memo. The only update you'll probably see is an update that cripples the entire phone to the point where it's almost unusable.

Seriously, folks. Do the right thing. Reset it, shut it down and go return it. It's not worth keeping anymore since its resale value will pretty much be zero and it will likely never be supported.

I know very few phones match this one in terms of capabilities and features, but that is no excuse to keep a phone that already has such a bad reputation tied to it, to the point where it's prohibited in some places.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It shocks me to read those who want to sign waivers, assume liability, etc just to use this phone.

Do you REALLY want to be 100% liable for when your phone explodes? What if it happens in a: restaurant, mall, cab, your car, your home, your apartment complex (where others live!), your school, work, etc, etc etc. Your insurance (renters, homeowners, auto) is NOT going to cover losses that occur when the you were TOLD to return the device because it is dangerous. You got deep pockets to pay for those potential lawsuits? What if it explodes while you are driving and you cause a major accident and kill someone? What if it explodes and burns down your apartment complex and kills someone? What if it explodes at 30,000 feet while you're flying (even IF you shut it off, we've seen they self-destruct)? What if you burn down your place of employment? Coworkers will love you won't they?

Imagine if something happened and it ended up injuring a friend or loved one. Would these people be comfortable saying "Blame me. It was my fault" and "I knew this could happen, but I was not afraid" directly to the face of their injured child or significant other?

I'm sure we know the answer to that.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Up until when do we have to return this phone? Im gonna call Tmobile. Because I wanna take my time to research the next phone I want. At the end of the day I am the one who went through 2 recalls and will be forking over money. No one is giving me a free phone or a discount right now. So I'm gonna give it back, but if there is some time I will choose what I want first. And I have no back up phone right now.
Keep your note 7 until you can exchange it for the device you actually want...u have at least 4 good weeks with this device before they would even consider a cutoff date.....

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I just posted this in another thread but besides putting custom ROMs on your Note 7 (if its possible for your model), what will people really get from keeping their Note 7 that would offset all the negatives that I described below? I LOVED the Note 7 but I've never owned a phone that was recalled and will no longer receive support and especially with the Note 7's price tag.

I know people love the Note 7, I loved mine before I returned it during the first recall but here is why I don't see really anyone keeping their Note 7 now:

1. No software updates from Samsung (Android 7 aka Nougat)

2. No security updates

3. No support from Samsung (warranty replacements, technical support, etc)

4. No accessories from Samsung or 3rd parties (Amazon, Ebay, Target, etc)

5. No carrier support at all

6. Devices could be disabled in the near future after the refund period ends

7. IMEI's blacklisted from being used on carrier networks (if possible)

8. Device could possibly cause damage or injury and owners would have no legal recourse since they didn't return the phone within the return period (whatever that period will be from the carriers or retailers)

9. Can't use carrier insurance, 3rd party insurance (mostly likely) or Samsung's Protection Plan since it would be ineligible if you keep the device after this new global refund period is over

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I just posted this in another thread but besides putting custom ROMs on your Note 7 (if its possible for your model), what will people really get from keeping their Note 7 that would offset all the negatives that I described below? I LOVED the Note 7 but I've never owned a phone that was recalled and will no longer receive support and especially with the Note 7's price tag.

I know people love the Note 7, I loved mine before I returned it during the first recall but here is why I don't see really anyone keeping their Note 7 now:

1. No software updates from Samsung (Android 7 aka Nougat)

2. No security updates

3. No support from Samsung (warranty replacements, technical support, etc)

4. No accessories from Samsung or 3rd parties (Amazon, Ebay, Target, etc)

5. No carrier support at all

6. Devices could be disabled in the near future after the refund period ends

7. IMEI's blacklisted from being used on carrier networks (if possible)

8. Device could possibly cause damage or injury and owners would have no legal recourse since they didn't return the phone within the return period (whatever that period will be from the carriers or retailers)

9. Can't use carrier insurance, 3rd party insurance (mostly likely) or Samsung's Protection Plan since it would be ineligible if you keep the device after this new global refund period is over

Number 6 is the only real problem for me. Already have all of the accessories i need, can happily stay on the current OS and not too concerned about security updates. why would i need carrier support for (unless they shut the service off).

As far as number 8, i'm rolling the dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.