Will Samsung open the Gear VR 2 to work with other devices?

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So I have 2 gear vr ( for sale if someone wants one) my question is do you think they might open it up for use with non galaxy devices? The daydream vr can work with any phone ( pixel xl ordered btw). I know they cut off my n7 and I guess in theory I could purchase another device in the future, but it would be nice to be able to use it.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So I have 2 gear vr ( for sale if someone wants one) my question is do you think they might open it up for use with non galaxy devices? The daydream vr can work with any phone ( pixel xl ordered btw). I know they cut off my n7 and I guess in theory I could purchase another device in the future, but it would be nice to be able to use it.

Unfortunately, this probably isn't the forum to try to sell a Gear VR at the moment.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
There is a physics issue as much as a software one. The physical space in the gear vr is designed for certain shaped phones. Thickness, width, centering. The note 7 fits in very tightly. It would not take much to be too large or too small to fit.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I was successful at using cardboard. It's not as fluid as oculus, but it works. You need to download package disabled (or whatever it's called) and disable gear vr services, then get the cardboard for gear vr app in play store ($.99) and bam... be works with cardboard and the n7.

Disclaimer --

Hey stupid, these phones are known to spontaneously combust, are you sure you wanna strap one to your face?

blackhawk77#WN

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I pre-ordered my Gear VR through Amazon and received it on August 21st. Thankfully amazon approved my return even though I am well past the 30 days.

Now I am waiting for Oculus to tell me how to get refunds for my game purchases.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
There is a replacement piece that comes with the new Gear VR that changes the connection from USB C back to micro USB. I can use my S7 Edge in it. I also have my original Gear VR that came with my first (pre Note 7) S7 E, which is ridiculous. since I only have one set of eyes. I will probably give it to a nearby charity thrift shop.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Gear VR that came out with the Note 7 was usable with the Note 7, GS7e, GS7, an even GS6 and GS6e.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I was successful at using cardboard. It's not as fluid as oculus, but it works. You need to download package disabled (or whatever it's called) and disable gear vr services, then get the cardboard for gear vr app in play store ($.99) and bam... be works with cardboard and the n7.

Disclaimer --

Hey stupid, these phones are known to spontaneously combust, are you sure you wanna strap one to your face?

I am aware, I deactivated the phone from service. I juse figured I would keep playing with the vr until my pixel arrived considering I amean using a iphone 5s. I really couldn't do much for health reasons but was trying to check out cardboard and see what else was available seeing how I will have the daydream in a few months.

And besides it's the same phone I had been using this whole time, including the many hours my wife and kids spent in oculus

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought the Gear VR that came out with the Note 7 was usable with the Note 7, GS7e, GS7, an even GS6 and GS6e.
I still have two Gear VRs that came with my two S7 Edge that I bought in March. I used one once and the second one is still in the shipping box unopened. I should try and sell them on eBay.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I still have two Gear VRs that came with my two S7 Edge that I bought in March. I used one once and the second one is still in the shipping box unopened. I should try and sell them on eBay.

This is the main reason why I opted for the Gear Fit 2 the first time around with the Note 7 because I had a Gear VR for the GS6 series, then another Gear VR for the GS7 series and I couldn't stomach a third headset that will probably be replaced again in another year if I upgraded later. I thought about it when I sent in for the promos for the second Note 7 but then I went with the memory card. :)

So I think the Gear VRs you have as well as the one for the Note 7 are very marketable because of the downward compatibility!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox