Samsung hit with lawsuit over note7 & s8 may halt

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
suddenly the N7 is 1000 times more dangerous? LOL. This is one of the reasons I have no interest in driving a Tesla. :)

In terms of failure rate, I'd say that's not far fetched... 100+ failures in the US alone in the span of, what maybe 6 weeks? A phone like the S7, which has a much higher number of units in use - and fewer reported failures (or we'd be hearing the howls to have that recalled too) - over a span of 8+ months....

Look, like I said, use it if you want, but the phone isn't safe.... so unsafe that its been pulled from the shelves and Samsung has taken a multi-billion dollar kick to the crotch over the mess.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
The problem for Samsung is that they are trying to recreate an issue that has happened in a statistically small number of devices.

So then, here's the deal. The Phones that actually did explode/catch fire, consider these then damaged devices evidence. They get sent in to be examined by Expert Analysts in the field. This alone would explain what was the problem with these supposed faulty products IF this was actually the case.
The fact that the supposed owners of these supposed exploded Note 7's refused to turn their devices in speaks volumes!

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Worked pretty well with the early report of Gorilla Glass 5 being nearly as soft as plastic based on the video of one blogger. That story was trumpeted over and over. I bet most people do not even know it was false and just go by what they heard on social media. It was an error by the blogger. I do not think it was malicious on his part.

I am not actively using my Note 7, though I will not turn it in until I see the root cause of these fires. I do not think less of someone who turned their N7 in. A $900 phone is a lot of money to waste for some people. At the same time I pretty much ignore all the fear mongers. I have spent more than 25 years transporting truckloads full of explosives and other dangerous items for the military that make this exploding N7 look silly. I am more concerned about some fool crashing into me out on the road because they are too busy chasing Pokemon that a N7 burning up. You have to put things into perspective, but hey, maybe some people have lived such a sheltered life that a phone catching on fire scares them!

Thank You!!! You are my man! You speak the language!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I just don't think the S8 has much to do with the faulty Note, except perhaps in terms of PR ( it will obviously play better if the issues surrounding the Note are clearly explained).

But the S line has not been affected by this, and will likely have a different design, battery, processor and feature set.

The Note 7 had a very rare perfect storm happen to it. I doubt it will ever happen again.

TomOfTx

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
In terms of failure rate, I'd say that's not far fetched... 100+ failures in the US alone in the span of, what maybe 6 weeks? A phone like the S7, which has a much higher number of units in use - and fewer reported failures (or we'd be hearing the howls to have that recalled too) - over a span of 8+ months....

Look, like I said, use it if you want, but the phone isn't safe.... so unsafe that its been pulled from the shelves and Samsung has taken a multi-billion dollar kick to the crotch over the mess.

I am not saying there is no risk using the N7. I keep my N7 in a fire proof LiPo safety bag. I just want a more clear determination of the cause of these fires. The manner in which Samsung (and the CPSC) quickly recalled the N7, shipped out new "safe" replacement N7's, then soon after recalled all N7's including the "safe" replacement ones, just smells incompetent to me. If Samsung or someone else is able to determine the cause of the fires, great, at least this way going forward the public may have more confidence in future devices Samsung is selling.

I have no vested interest in the outcome of the N7 investigations other than to be an informed consumer for future purchases. Sorry, but I do not take what a government agency says as the gospel when they do not know the cause of the problem with the N7 either.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not saying there is no risk using the N7. I keep my N7 in a fire proof LiPo safety bag. I just want a more clear determination of the cause of these fires. The manner in which Samsung (and the CPSC) quickly recalled the N7, shipped out new "safe" replacement N7's, then soon after recalled all N7's including the "safe" replacement ones, just smells incompetent to me. If Samsung or someone else is able to determine the cause of the fires, great, at least this way going forward the public may have more confidence in future devices Samsung is selling.

Oh most def. And that is precisely why Samsung is not only going to have to find and isolate the root cause, but be extremely transparent in terms of releasing that to the public... They lost the 'trust us, we found it' card when the 'safe' Notes started going south.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I am hearing things at work that samsung is going outo of business in the mobile department and that even blackberry may buy them ... hope not because I love samsung phones until they blow up that is.. I can't get myself to like pixel phone it looks like an iPhone ... there is no pretty phone out there either personally only s7 edge in pink gold I guess. So if samsung tru.you can't find the issue and announce it for real then they will have issues with s8 line and trust for sure

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I almost had the thought that someone within Samsung or one of their affiliates was trying to sabotage Samsung by doing something to the batteries....I mean I wouldn't rule that possibility out

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am hearing things at work that samsung is going outo of business in the mobile department and that even blackberry may buy them ...

i might be one of the few but i TOTALLY could see them closing/selling their mobile division after this debacle... Just a few short years ago i would have said, "noooooooo way", but having seen Sony sell off their laptop division, Toshiba completely discontinue the production of computers/laptops and how Nokia was once the "King" in cell phone production and is barely a pawn in the business today, i can easily see this occurring. Especially when those companies demise wasn't even due to ONE Particular thing.

i've been "all in" with Sammy for years, but if they take their chips and go home & close their mobile doors, sadly a big chunk of my life involves, "sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for their next best thing", but honestly, i can EASILY see it : (

all in2.jpg

BTC

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Worked pretty well with the early report of Gorilla Glass 5 being nearly as soft as plastic based on the video of one blogger. That story was trumpeted over and over. I bet most people do not even know it was false and just go by what they heard on social media. It was an error by the blogger. I do not think it was malicious on his part.

I am not actively using my Note 7, though I will not turn it in until I see the root cause of these fires. I do not think less of someone who turned their N7 in. A $900 phone is a lot of money to waste for some people. At the same time I pretty much ignore all the fear mongers. I have spent more than 25 years transporting truckloads full of explosives and other dangerous items for the military that make this exploding N7 look silly. I am more concerned about some fool crashing into me out on the road because they are too busy chasing Pokemon that a N7 burning up. You have to put things into perspective, but hey, maybe some people have lived such a sheltered life that a phone catching on fire scares them!
Omg thank you! I'm so tired of ppl acting as if these phones are just spontaneously combusting 😂😂😂

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung hit with lawsuit over note7 & s8 may halt

Class action lawsuits are usually full of bull**** and they serve only to benefit the law firm and the class representatives. They are going to walk away with a settlement with tens and hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions but the rest of the class will get like a $5 credit to use at the Samsung store or something.
Not always... while I'll agree this Samsung one is, I was part of a class action lawsuit against Audi for water leaking into the car through the plenum drain which actually happened to my 97 Audi. I live in good old rainy Oregon and the first winter I had my car, one morning as I'm leaving for work I dropped something in the backseat and I reached back to grab it I found there was an inch of water on my floor. I had to spend over $1,400 of my savings to have my seating ripped out and redone (luckily wiring wasn't damaged). Then I filed for the suit, which at the time they had promised us a response by July of that year (4 months later). I finally got a check for the full amount paid over 4 years later.

Td;lr Not all class action lawsuits suck but you have to be one of the first people to file and you have to be able to back up your all of claims.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I think this is a silly angle for the class action proposal. But with all class action suits, it's up to the judge. They're the ones that certify the suits as a class action and its boundaries. Too many just go with the flow and don't really think about justice. The certification should not happen without the judge making sure the actual victims are adequately being compensated. I don't know it that requires detailed billing, a cap on fees to the attorneys or what.

And of course, this is the first of many, many class action suits against Samsung for the disastrous Note 7.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes that was the one I had posted about. I work with enough electronics that it was one issue I saw, but at the same time I have had mine so hot you could start cooking an egg on it. Maybe it is just as simple as the cable and charger causing the failure. I wish I could get in on testing! As I have said before I used my old N4 cable on my first N7 and it got hot. Cable was causing it, so I threw it out.

But couldn't it be a combination that requires a faulty battery, AND an overheating processor? If either doesn't happen, or only one is bad, then no explosion. It would require both to be an issue to cause meltdown. The multiple cause issue would definitely explain the statistically small numbers.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a silly angle for the class action proposal. But with all class action suits, it's up to the judge. They're the ones that certify the suits as a class action and its boundaries. Too many just go with the flow and don't really think about justice. The certification should not happen without the judge making sure the actual victims are adequately being compensated. I don't know it that requires detailed billing, a cap on fees to the attorneys or what.

And of course, this is the first of many, many class action suits against Samsung for the disastrous Note 7.

You might think so, and I am not a lawyer; but the biggest obstacle for any of these suits is to prove both sufficient negligence to result in damages on the part of the manufacturer, and a failure to appropriately void or mitigate the problem once it was recognized. As much of an irritant that it was, Samsung was quite proactive in issuing the initial recall, preparing and offering replacements, and working with the CPSC in aspects of the recall and stopped production announcement

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
You might think so, and I am not a lawyer; but the biggest obstacle for any of these suits is to prove both sufficient negligence to result in damages on the part of the manufacturer, and a failure to appropriately void or mitigate the problem once it was recognized. As much of an irritant that it was, Samsung was quite proactive in issuing the initial recall, preparing and offering replacements, and working with the CPSC in aspects of the recall and stopped production announcement

While I think the angle being argued in this class action try is ludicrous, I think there are tons of buyers that have legitimate reason to sue Samsung. The botched two recalls. The first was premature and probably has sufficient evidence that Samsung knew of possible problems before the fires proliferated. The fact that they rushed unsafe "safe" phones so quickly and had even more fires in a short period of time without pinpointing the problem, well that was just dumb.

Again, the judges will determine fairness, but let's hope customers don't get shafted again with lawyers reaping all the money with customers getting credits, rebates, or some other nonsense.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
The lawsuit is about lawyers getting the lions share & the N7 owners getting pennies on the dollar. Having said that a lawsuit could make corporations act more responsible in the future.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
i might be one of the few but i TOTALLY could see them closing/selling their mobile division after this debacle... Just a few short years ago i would have said, "noooooooo way", but having seen Sony sell off their laptop division, Toshiba completely discontinue the production of computers/laptops and how Nokia was once the "King" in cell phone production and is barely a pawn in the business today, i can easily see this occurring. Especially when those companies demise wasn't even due to ONE Particular thing.

i've been "all in" with Sammy for years, but if they take their chips and go home & close their mobile doors, sadly a big chunk of my life involves, "sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for their next best thing", but honestly, i can EASILY see it : (

View attachment 242868

BTC

I am hearing things at work that samsung is going outo of business in the mobile department and that even blackberry may buy them ... hope not because I love samsung phones until they blow up that is.. I can't get myself to like pixel phone it looks like an iPhone ... there is no pretty phone out there either personally only s7 edge in pink gold I guess. So if samsung tru.you can't find the issue and announce it for real then they will have issues with s8 line and trust for sure
I hope these are jokes. Blackberry couldn't even afford their own mobile department let alone coming close to purchasing Samsung's. They're pretty much the only ones doing well in Android.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think it is best to take Samsung to small claims court. The fees are low and considering that Samsung will likely not want to fly out a lawyer to attend a small claims court for a few hundred dollars in damages, they will probably settle on some kind of reasonable compensation, either through a product promotion or some kind of financial incentive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan