Samsung hit with lawsuit over note7 & s8 may halt

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I thought about that but didn't want to say it out loud. If Samsung doesn't know what caused the N7 problems, how can they continue making phones? As of yet, they haven't been able to duplicate the problem. Maybe the conspiracy theorists are on to something. Who knows? But it would be catastrophic if they aren't able to figure it out in time. I'm sure the S8 is already "made", but really, what if they aren't allowed to release them? Ugh...

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Likely it will be a made up answer to what happened. No pun intended but my father gets a kick out hearing this. He says it's funny because no one can say why they catch fire. He asks every time he sees me has it exploded yet. Nope I don't want an iPhone is my answer. In short I think Samsung will make it up just to put the new line out.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
If this results in millions of people being sent 5 bucks down the road, I think it's kind of silly personally. I feel for the people who have legitimately been hurt or limited by what has happened with this phone, but in my opinion the offered exchanges/reimbursements/refunds seem to have been more than enough of a remedy. As for the carriers that can't understand common sense and following Samsung's directives? I don't know, but I don't think suing Samsung is the correct answer.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Exactly of anything used in n7 is also used in s8 then we got a problem because clearly n7 is not just battery issue by itself. I hope this is not the demise of Samsung and if they care for their brand they do need to take their time with s8 or else they are dunzo. Regardless I hope s7 edge comes in blue coral ! Lol.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
If this results in millions of people being sent 5 bucks down the road, I think it's kind of silly personally. I feel for the people who have legitimately been hurt or limited by what has happened with this phone, but in my opinion the offered exchanges/reimbursements/refunds seem to have been more than enough of a remedy. As for the carriers that can't understand common sense and following Samsung's directives? I don't know, but I don't think suing Samsung is the correct answer.
I love Samsung devices. I'll buy more in the future. But to say that the $25 credit was more than enough compensation for returning two phones and ending up back at square one just over two months later is incorrect. I understand there were other perks for people but $25 and an SD card is what I ended up with and the likelihood of the SD card having any use is up in the air, depending what phone I go with.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to say this. I had an iPhone 4s catch fire and didn't even care. All I wanted was my phone replaced with a new one. I vape and have had batteries go up. Why sue over something they are more than willing to fork out for if you play it right? I think we are looking at a big payoff for those that may have been harmed but the carriers charging you has nothing to do with Samsung.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could get in on this class action. Alas, I'm in Canada and we only had less than 40,000 Note 7s sold. Very unlikely to be able to get a class action suit going here with those numbers of total sales.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
The fact that Samsung can't replicate the problem speaks volumes. I am willing to bet that the majority of those "explosions" was due to mistreatment and mishandling.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
In short I think Samsung will make it up just to put the new line out.

And then what happens if the S8 starts catching fire? The position Samsung is in now would be nothing in comparison to the one they'd be in if the S8 started to catch fire and people found out that they lied about discovering the cause of the Note 7 fires.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Everyone wants Samsung to pay for it, if I were Samsung I'll just play it safe with the s8.

Micro USB and no fast charging. You're welcome world. Heck I might even pull an Apple and go proprietary port.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
And then what happens if the S8 starts catching fire? The position Samsung is in now would be nothing in comparison to the one they'd be in if the S8 started to catch fire and people found out that they lied about discovering the cause of the Note 7 fires.
What I am getting at is if they can't make them burn then it could lead to false info. It is wrong but could happen. I really hope that the cpsc is conducting testing on these as well just to say one way or the other what caused it or could cause it. If people keep their N7 they had better be able to handle controlling the situation should it go up. The rash of repeated reports of the same stories will not help Samsung in any way. I just feel like the fact that no one actually knows is a bad sign for any future Samsung phone.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The problem for Samsung is that they are trying to recreate an issue that has happened in a statistically small number of devices. I'm sure they're looking for similar usage patterns in the devices that have failed. They'll also need to look at differences in design between the S6, S7, and Note 7 to see if they can find any potential design errors/flaws. I think, as with most "disasters", it will be a combination of factors that created the device failure. I've seen a theory that it might have something to do with the heat generated by the processor, and its proximity to the battery. Perhaps they'll find that heating and cooloing of the processor caused something in or around the battery to fail. Who knows? Until they can create, and repeat the flaw a statistically significant number of times, they are going to have trouble reclaiming a large number of those that left the Note/Samsung brand.I hope they find the issue(s) soon.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung hit with lawsuit over note7 & s8 may halt

If Samsung wants to duplicate the issue I think they need to put the phones in tight jeans, bend over, sit down on them, and then drop them on the floor several times. I believe the study that thinks the batteries are in tight quarters and are being damaged by situations like that, just my opinion.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The fact that Samsung can't replicate the problem speaks volumes.

Yes.. it does... but not in the way you think. I've said this in another thread with respect to the same statement. I've been in development, QC and QA for a long time... you know the defects and failures that keep us in the office for long hours and over weekends? The ones that spawn meetings with upper level management and constant conference calls for an update on the status? The ones that we can't explain or reproduce.

Pick up your Note 7 and look at it... Not even the manufacturer can explain why, when or how it will spontaneously ignite.... but they do, and have, with well over 100 officially reported incidents in the US alone. That shouldn't make you feel safer.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
The problem for Samsung is that they are trying to recreate an issue that has happened in a statistically small number of devices. I'm sure they're looking for similar usage patterns in the devices that have failed. They'll also need to look at differences in design between the S6, S7, and Note 7 to see if they can find any potential design errors/flaws. I think, as with most "disasters", it will be a combination of factors that created the device failure. I've seen a theory that it might have something to do with the heat generated by the processor, and its proximity to the battery. Perhaps they'll find that heating and cooloing of the processor caused something in or around the battery to fail. Who knows? Until they can create, and repeat the flaw a statistically significant number of times, they are going to have trouble reclaiming a large number of those that left the Note/Samsung brand.I hope they find the issue(s) soon.
Yes that was the one I had posted about. I work with enough electronics that it was one issue I saw, but at the same time I have had mine so hot you could start cooking an egg on it. Maybe it is just as simple as the cable and charger causing the failure. I wish I could get in on testing! As I have said before I used my old N4 cable on my first N7 and it got hot. Cable was causing it, so I threw it out.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung hit with lawsuit over note7 & s8 may halt

If Samsung wants to duplicate the issue I think they need to put the phones in tight jeans, bend over, sit down on them, and then drop them on the floor several times. I believe the study that thinks the batteries are in tight quarters and are being damaged by situations like that, just my opinion.
Like he says sit on it in jeans and drop it. That could be the cause as well. That's the problem here. No one would admit to having sat on it and bent it. That is why I never put a phone in my pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781