Samsung to Disable Note 7 Functionality Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
One of our replacement Note 7s had a couple of glitches, so we took it to Sprint for repair yesterday. The Sprint tech couldn't fix the glitch and called Samsung tech support. After the conversation with Samsung, the Sprint tech still had trouble getting the phone to work. He found out Samsung disabled gmail access on the phone so it wouldn't work anymore. Then we found out today that Samsung plans to do this to all Note 7s in 2-3 weeks. Just a heads up in case you aren't aware of this so that you can be prepared.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe this post. People should stop speculating, trying to use scare tactics to get others to get another phone . The lies from those hired or whatever to knockout the Note 7 was accomplished. Like the SW plane incident. Totally false. The carpet wasnt burnt, also notice he said the phone was turned off?.That was the last straw for Samsung which caused the complete ban rather than the no charging And power down ban. So conveniently this man said his phone was turned off. I believe it was manipulated to smoke. .And in an emergency evacuation what airline let someone go back in the plane to get a left piece of luggage. Notice no more reports since Samsung announced they were stopping oroduction. Just leave people alone. And people don't believe all the speculation and unsubstantiated reports.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe this post. People should stop speculating, trying to use scare tactics to get others to get another phone . The lies from those hired or whatever to knockout the Note 7 was accomplished. Like the SW plane incident. Totally false. The carpet wasnt burnt, also notice he said the phone was turned off?.That was the last straw for Samsung which caused the complete ban rather than the no charging And power down ban. So conveniently this man said his phone was turned off. I believe it was manipulated to smoke. .And in an emergency evacuation what airline let someone go back in the plane to get a left piece of luggage. Notice no more reports since Samsung announced they were stopping oroduction. Just leave people alone. And people don't believe all the speculation and unsubstantiated reports.

Exactly. And these daily posts about phone disabling are totally unnecessary. Those of us still using the phone DO NOT CARE! I'm using mine until it's bricked, a deadline is announced, or the S8 is out.

hou33guy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way to disable updates and change the imei so if they decide to stop the note 7 imei on the networks i wont be affected

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to disable updates and change the imei so if they decide to stop the note 7 imei on the networks i wont be affected
Can't change your imei, but you can disable software updates. I've done so. Use an app like package disabler pro to disable all the update services. Don't need them updating my phone until I send it back in.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I said it before. There could very well be an app just like Gmail that could have caused thermal runaway. More than likely it was just someone wanted an iPhone 7 and couldn't get it because they were past the return window on the N7 so they destroyed it.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I said it before. There could very well be an app just like Gmail that could have caused thermal runaway. More than likely it was just someone wanted an iPhone 7 and couldn't get it because they were past the return window on the N7 so they destroyed it.

And why wouldn't someone want an iPhone 7 though, I mean Phones that randomly spontaneously, just, well, you know, explode? Putting public lives in danger and all that jazz. Apparently these Phones are all the rage right now!
I'll just leave this here:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32960624/iphone-7-catches-fire-destroys-vehicle/#page1

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
One of our replacement Note 7s had a couple of glitches, so we took it to Sprint for repair yesterday. The Sprint tech couldn't fix the glitch and called Samsung tech support. After the conversation with Samsung, the Sprint tech still had trouble getting the phone to work. He found out Samsung disabled gmail access on the phone so it wouldn't work anymore. Then we found out today that Samsung plans to do this to all Note 7s in 2-3 weeks. Just a heads up in case you aren't aware of this so that you can be prepared.

What did Sprint say about returning the device? Are they sending fireproof boxes so that you will be able to send the phones back?

jackash0912

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Weird my Gmail works just fine.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I heard through the grapevine (which is why I searched and ran across this thread) that this was happening too. Apparently a Verizon rep said Samsung is looking to push an update that you can't refuse and will essentially brick the phone. I don't have any other real details, but wouldn't surprise me if this happened.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
The end is near. I finally shut mine off late yesterday after i activated a S7 bought of eBay. I'll go with the S7 until a new note comes out

blackhawk77#WN

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't pay attention to anything Reps say, I'll believe it when Samsung announces it. The Verizon rep I talked to this week had no idea that all the note7 are supposed to be returned, he just though they were going to sell it anymore.

cnotes63

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I just left the Verizon store playing with the pixel phone an the rep there told me that his wife had a note 7 an Verizon told him he has until the 19 th of next month to have the phone off the account he said he think the are sending out something on the 19th of next month to kill the phone so he told me to try an give the phone back by than my pixel don't ship until the 28th they only had the 32 gig models in the store

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Disabling access to Gmail on just the phone is only possible through a full OTA update that has a signature both the bootloader and Knox accept. That didn't happen and the Sprint rep lied to you or Samsung lied to him/her. I'll say lied, because there is nothing that could have been said that is even remotely close to that :p

Samsung is not going to disable any phones. There is a huge liability issue there. They will let the carriers blacklist them instead.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Until I see proof I won't believe this story either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC