Samsung’s new Galaxy Note 7 compensation program will reportedly let customers get a Galaxy S8 free

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
According to Mobile Syrup, Samsung Canada won't be extending this offer to Canadians.

I never bought a Note 7 so this does not affect me directly, but if Samsung will be treating Canadian customers this way I might keep my business elsewhere for a long time (I hate saying 'never', as who knows what the future brings ).

But disappointed in Samsung Canada.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I agree with this. The phones aren't going anywhere. Perfectly fine to wait a few months before making a decision.

I wish I didn't jump so soon on the N7 and pre order. If I get the Note 8 later next year or an S8 Edge I will wait about a month and purchase it in store. The return process was a pain for the order and I just got it finally taken care of today.

However I might go with Apple my next phone so I can buy directly from the Apple Store or online and not have to deal with the carrier stores anymore after all this.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I wish I didn't jump so soon on the N7 and pre order. If I get the Note 8 later next year or an S8 Edge I will wait about a month and purchase it in store. The return process was a pain for the order and I just got it finally taken care of today.

However I might go with Apple my next phone so I can buy directly from the Apple Store or online and not have to deal with the carrier stores anymore after all this.

All good possibilities. I'm holding on to my Edge (Which still hangs with the big boys) until something compels me. I'm in no hurry just to say I have the latest. Been there and done that. After about a week, no one cares.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
According to Mobile Syrup, Samsung Canada won't be extending this offer to Canadians.

I never bought a Note 7 so this does not affect me directly, but if Samsung will be treating Canadian customers this way I might keep my business elsewhere for a long time (I hate saying 'never', as who knows what the future brings ).

But disappointed in Samsung Canada.
Samsung Canada is doing an atrocious job with this recall. They are acting like complete pricks, and aren't extending any perks or good-will to the customers at all beyond the bare minimum. They don't honour 3rd party sales and refuse to replace phones without a receipt. I have a free Note 7 and they refuse to replace it because it's free and they feel that they don't owe me anything, my time be damned and all. Absolutely stunning when you think about it.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This are going from bad to worse....I don't even know who to feel bad for anymore, consumers or Samsung.
Consumers. Samsung deserves everything that they are getting and more. Who here has been compensated for any time lost on this mess? What did you get, measly $25 or $100 off of what is effectively last years' device if you choose to downgrade? To add insult to injury, they are now creating new promos in Korea, but not anywhere else.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My gripe was getting a 7 month old phone at pretty much full price and being stuck with it for two years unless I paid it off early. I messed around with the S7E in store and just wasn't a fan of the more defined edges and couldn't go back to a smaller screen on the S7, so the Pixel XL was the best choice.

I totally understand this and feel the same way. I went with the S7 Edge but the edge is driving me nuts, I'm constantly launching apps/folders by accident. I'm with T-Mobile and on the JOD program, so I figure the phone will cost me about $190 for 6 months and then I'll move onto the S8 and then wait to see if there is a Note replacement in the fall (or whenever it's launched), if there is then I'll upgrade to that. The situation sucks but it is what it is.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there will be a Note 8! Samsung has confirmed it indirectly. Financial incentives will be given to Note 7 owners at least it will start in Korea. They also said the availability of such a program in other markets will be dependent on the situation in each country.
Financial incentives or not, here - take my money! Give me the Note 8 already. Dammit!
Thank God! 🤗😇😍😎

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It's all up to the individual experience. For me the experience was good for the first week and after that horrible and it still continues. Samsung refuses to replace my device because I got it for free. What difference does that make? They either want the device off the market or don't. I'm not just going to give them the Note7 for nothing while I've spent a considerable amount of my time dealing with the first recall and now with trying to get a replacement as part of the second. It also seems that the process is moving much better in the US than in Canada. I guess our market is just not that significant to Samsung.
I will gladly take your Note 7! Right now I'm fighting with T-mobile to keep mine at least until the S8 comes out so I don't have to downgrade then pay to upgrade again but they won't let me do it, instead they want to charge me $747 for the Note 7 instead of continuing to let me finance it. I'm kinda wondering if I just buy it if they'll have to take it back once the s8 comes out since its technically still a recalled phone (this is assuming Samsung doesn't brick them first).

Teamjones

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
How can they charge you for a recalled phone? If you pay it I would bet when the s8 came out they would have to buy it back.

Last edited:

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I will gladly take your Note 7! Right now I'm fighting with T-mobile to keep mine at least until the S8 comes out so I don't have to downgrade then pay to upgrade again but they won't let me do it, instead they want to charge me $747 for the Note 7 instead of continuing to let me finance it. I'm kinda wondering if I just buy it if they'll have to take it back once the s8 comes out since its technically still a recalled phone (this is assuming Samsung doesn't brick them first).
Oh I've had plenty of offers for my phone here but legally I'm not allowed to sell it or give it away. It's nonsense, this whole thing.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh I've had plenty of offers for my phone here but legally I'm not allowed to sell it or give it away. It's nonsense, this whole thing.
Ugh tell me about it, it's so frustrating I blame it on the media...I'm just guessing but supposedly there are at least 1mil Note 7's still floating around in use yet no one else has reported they're phone catching fire. So if it wasn't for the media making a huge deal over less than 100 cases of phones catching fire none of us would be going through this mess and Samsung could have had more time to find a solution before discontinuing the phone all together. I dunno maybe I'm just grumpy or tried of having to keep defending the phone but I'm not having issues with mine and all I want to do is hold on to it a couple of months longer without having to buy it out right. Ok I'm done whining....for now 😋.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Consumers. Samsung deserves everything that they are getting and more. Who here has been compensated for any time lost on this mess? What did you get, measly $25 or $100 off of what is effectively last years' device if you choose to downgrade? To add insult to injury, they are now creating new promos in Korea, but not anywhere else.
I've only lost 10 min over the recall. I'm not complaining. I just waited until everything was in place so I could have a quick experience. I would be pissed if I had lost hours of my time too.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've only lost 10 min over the recall. I'm not complaining. I just waited until everything was in place so I could have a quick experience. I would be pissed if I had lost hours of my time too.

I lost nearly 3 days battling with Samsung and other things related to this recall. I'm quite unhappy about that.