"Did Samsung or Verizon brick my Note 7?"

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Love my GN7! Has been flawless up till Today, Th 10-27-16. As I consider a few replacement phones (Now down to LG V20 & S7e) I have not been charging it overnight as I sleep. I do leave it on @ night though . I charge it on top of my dryer as soon as I get up... just in case. Today, I pressed the home button to see how much battery life was remaining as I plugged it in. The phone would not turn on. I tried with & w/o power cord plugged in & tried press & hold power button to force a restart....no help! I thought it was bricked!

I searched to see if other GN7 users got bricked by Samsung or Verizon in order to force them to turn in their phones. Found no such confirmation. I did find a troubleshooting article on GN7 (from b4 recall) that said to force a manual restart:
Press & hold both POWER & VOL DOWN buttons for >7 seconds......
ThIs worked & got me a small menu on the screen with tiny letters. I had 4 choices & one was to restart. (Used the buttons -I think vol--to navigate & home key to select.)
It restarted & seemed normal.
Whew!
An hour later just b4 I had to leave, It was dead again or was it? When I pressed home, I got illuminated bottom L&R icons to go back & to see what's open but screen remained off.
I needed to make some bluetooth calls from my car & I assumed that even with phone screen off BT would still work.
I appeared to work as I did get the phone book on my car screen (Does not happen if do not have phone with me) But tried a couple calls & indicated connecting but never did, just hung up after a couple minutes. So, could not make any call even to Verizon.

Next my car screen changed from displaying phone book to displaying bluetooth not set up do you want to search for a phone.....
wtf?!

I kept pressing home button on phone & finally got login & phone turned on (But BT in car still not working!) I made a few calls. Later after returned to car & not using phone for 2 hrs. I saw that car BT was working once again & so was phone screen & I made a couple BT calls.

Now phone seems to be working OK.

But, I now deem it unreliable.

So, either Samsung or Verizon was "messing with me" (unlikely) or the phone is defective.

Also there are now reports of the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge catching fire. I realize that these may be fraudulent as probably are some of the GN7 fire claims but, makes me wonder.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Those can also be symptoms of a bad battery. Especially if the phone detects that there is a sudden jump or drop in battery voltage.

or the phone is defective.
Well, we KNOW this is the case.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Love my GN7! Has been flawless up till Today, Th 10-27-16. As I consider a few replacement phones (Now down to LG V20 & S7e) I have not been charging it overnight as I sleep. I do leave it on @ night though . I charge it on top of my dryer as soon as I get up... just in case. Today, I pressed the home button to see how much battery life was remaining as I plugged it in. The phone would not turn on. I tried with & w/o power cord plugged in & tried press & hold power button to force a restart....no help! I thought it was bricked!

I searched to see if other GN7 users got bricked by Samsung or Verizon in order to force them to turn in their phones. Found no such confirmation. I did find a troubleshooting article on GN7 (from b4 recall) that said to force a manual restart:
Press & hold both POWER & VOL DOWN buttons for >7 seconds......
ThIs worked & got me a small menu on the screen with tiny letters. I had 4 choices & one was to restart. (Used the buttons -I think vol--to navigate & home key to select.)
It restarted & seemed normal.
Whew!
An hour later just b4 I had to leave, It was dead again or was it? When I pressed home, I got illuminated bottom L&R icons to go back & to see what's open but screen remained off.
I needed to make some bluetooth calls from my car & I assumed that even with phone screen off BT would still work.
I appeared to work as I did get the phone book on my car screen (Does not happen if do not have phone with me) But tried a couple calls & indicated connecting but never did, just hung up after a couple minutes. So, could not make any call even to Verizon.

Next my car screen changed from displaying phone book to displaying bluetooth not set up do you want to search for a phone.....
wtf?!

I kept pressing home button on phone & finally got login & phone turned on (But BT in car still not working!) I made a few calls. Later after returned to car & not using phone for 2 hrs. I saw that car BT was working once again & so was phone screen & I made a couple BT calls.

Now phone seems to be working OK.

But, I now deem it unreliable.

So, either Samsung or Verizon was "messing with me" (unlikely) or the phone is defective.

Also there are now reports of the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge catching fire. I realize that these may be fraudulent as probably are some of the GN7 fire claims but, makes me wonder.
S7 edge fires are not new. There isn't a phone out there that doesn't have fires, the n7 was just higher rate and media gave it full attention.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Mine has become slow and unresponsive at times, SwiftKey is freezing, clearly it needs an update it won't get. I plan on replacing it but had an operation that got in the way. Maybe tomorrow.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
OK, Not a single reply that others have had this happen to them so, it is a bad phone.

Tonight, I had a 1 hr. Phone call with no issues. Then I made an important business call & after 10 minutes, during a very important part of the call, I heard a loud long beep & my phone restarted itself!
Wtf?!

Will not use GN7 anymore unless absolutely necessary.

I was leaning towards S7e vs. LG V20. Now I’m inclined to dump Samsung since a new phone should not behave like this. Still can’t see an LG V20 Despite today being launch day, Best Buy has none.
I also need to see a few camera comparison reviews S7e or GN7 vs. V20.

Selky4G

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I have been meaning to post about what my N7 has been doing for the past week or so, but I'm having some serious health problems so I haven't taken the time to write it up. After seeing this post I wanted to share, even though mine is not doing exactly what yours is. It is having issues with its charge, though. It was great for the first couple months. Battery life was excellent. It could be down to 10 or lower and I could receive or make a call and talk a bit with no problems, or do other things with no fear of it shutting down. It could get so low and stay that way for what seemed a good amount of time.

It started recently where it would get down to 15% and die. Caught me off guard a couple times, having died without my knowledge until I would go to check the time or something. Then within days it worsened to where it would get down to 25 and could just suddenly die, again unbeknownst to me. As a result I've been really keeping an eye on it and trying to charge as soon as it gets there. It was happening a lot, but now it isn't doing it every time it gets down that low.

I really was trying to hang on to it, especially while I'm dealing with poor health, despite many reasons to get rid of it. I just HATE losing the pen most of all. But the lack of support is a big reason to not keep it, especially now that it is doing this. :(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance