What makes the Note 7 screen resist fingerprints and oil so well ?

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I use my Note 7 a lot each day, one thing that amazes me is how resistant the screen is to fingerprints and oil. My previous phone was a HTC One M8 and as soon as you touch the screen once or twice it's coated in oil from your fingers, I had to wipe that phone down so many times it drove me nuts. I was curious what about the Note 7 screen made it so resistant. I'm not typically a screen protector guy, so to have that kind of fingerprint/oil resistance on Note 7 with no screen protector was one of the best features of the phone for me.

I've yet to trade mine in as it's taken me a while to decide what to do about having a replacement phone I'm more than happy with, as I await the Samsung 8 variations which sound like they will look and perform amazing. I was curious as I look into the 2017 phones, what I should consider as far as screen specs, as I'm not really sure what makes the Note 7 screen the perfect match for me.

Is it simply Corning glass 5 ? The super amoled Note display ? Dose the Corning 5 glass or super amoled display have some sort of oleophobic coating or something ?

Also, if I need to get a screen protector to somewhat replicate the amazing anti fingerprint and oil resistance of the Note 7 screen on my Note 5, should I just be focusing on ones that state they are oleophobic or some other feature as well ?

Do only tempered glass screen protectors have the oleophobic coating or do non glass protectors have it also ?

I tried to research the Corning glass 5 and Note 7 screen and haven't found may answers. Currently I still have the Note 7 like I said, but picked up a refurbished Note 5 via Groupon black Friday sale, relieved when it came in that it was in flawless condition and fast charged. However while the Note 5 screen is very nice, it does collect finger prints and oil more so than the Note 7, no where near as bad as the HTC One M8 though. Was also confused what type of screen protector to get as I don't use them typically, it's just hard to use another phone aside form Note 7 and for me and not have the amazing fingerprint/oil resistance.

Thank so much in advance for any replies,

Tony!

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing with my Note7. The coating seems to be working and holding up substantially better than any other flagship I've owned to date.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I wondered the same thing and thought it was Gorilla Glass 5. After now having an S7 Edge though, I've noticed it has the same type of fingerprint resistance. Samsung really needs to start marketing this stuff better. Obviously there's something on these screens that resists oils, but I've never heard any type of news about it. I never used a screen protector on my N7 and don't have one on my S7E. They will not replicate the resistance the phones screen has. I had a screen protector on my Note 4 that was allegedly coated with the oleophobic coating. It still showed smudges and had to be wiped down. Samsung has something special going on with these screens.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Only thing I can think of is that the texture of the glass, or that of what is underneath it helps hide fingerprints? It's not a totally gloss, smooth black surface like the jet black iPhone I have now. I think it's not a matter of the Note resisting fingerprints, rather than is masks them?

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the coral blue, the backside the fingerprints really collect and show. The screen side for me, I honestly never had to wipe the screen since getting the phone late August. With normal use, I don't eat cheetos then touch the screen of course heh.

That's with heavy all day use, games, Web surfing, texting, a lot of touching then screen. The screen is so vibrant I know some prints won't be as noticeable, but even when I turn the screen off, it has very minimal prints, oil, swiping streaks. Even when just taking a call and having touched my face, where other phones would need a good wipe down, the screen remains pristine for me.

A poster above mentioned they should market their screen build, I agree for sure. The screen seems way to good not to be a bullet point in specs and advertising. I can't go back to a phone with a print/oil magnet anymore, hope the S8 all versions screens have the same qualities of the Note 7.