Why Can't Samsung Re-Issue Note 7 With Right-Sized Battery?

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been following all of the news reports of what Samsung is going to say on Sunday, and it just keeps bothering me: if the batteries were not the right size to fit the space (per WSJ) why not release the GN7 with new batteries? That would be far better than waiting another 8-9 months for whatever the GN8 brings, and NO, the GN7 nor my iPhone 7+, are NOT adequate replacements for the GN7.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard that's not the only issue. It's the battery capacity wasn't right for the battery size/shape, the phone body wasn't able to accommodate the battery volume properly, the software was not properly identifying and reacting to heat related anomalies and something else I didn't understand at all. It sounds like it was an array of issues, and simply releasing phones with different batteries didn't work (that was the first recall/exchange). They'd have to redesign a lot, at further expense, would get very few sales and take this $20 billion loss probably into the $30-40 billion area as soon as some yahoo with a grudge abused one and made it burn for YouTube.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been following all of the news reports of what Samsung is going to say on Sunday, and it just keeps bothering me: if the batteries were not the right size to fit the space (per WSJ) why not release the GN7 with new batteries? That would be far better than waiting another 8-9 months for whatever the GN8 brings, and NO, the GN7 nor my iPhone 7+, are NOT adequate replacements for the GN7.
Because the Note 7 Name is ruined for now. People will always associate it with fire or explosive battery. The phone was a great phone. I had to give mine up because of work and travel. Will get an Note 8 when it is released.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Easy -- they tried that and still failed. People won't trust the product as much and the name is tarnished. It is better for them to call it a mess up and come out with something new that won't have that "bad karma" with it.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, none of these reports so far are the OFFICIAL findings, which we will find out on January 23rd. So until then, it's still speculation what reason(s) caused the Note 7 to burn up :(
That and as mentioned, it would take a re-tooling of the device (and pull engineers off the Note 8 if there will be one) to reissue it. And the perception of the device is pretty low, except by those that follow and use the Note series and refuse to give up on it (further fueling the bad news about it).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is already $20 billion into the worst phone of 2016 with zero revenue to offset it. They'd be inanely moronic to spend a single cent more on it.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would still get the note 8 if it come out. I have a sh*t load of samsung devices and never had any issues with them. Im mad at the situation and how samsung handled it but I'll still get the note since no other company is eve trying to make anything comparable. The stylo doesnt even come close. The htc pocket pc were better then what the stylo is now and those phones are almost 10yrs old.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, here's hoping they establish a refurb market for the Note 7 - it would be such a waste to fill a landfill with millions of Note 7 devices.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Even if you were to set aside issues relating to components that caused the problem, there are the negative perceptions that are now connected to the N7, also after the travel bans that have been placed on the N7 it would be a nightmare to deal with, The best path is to recycle what they can and move forward. it's very near to the N8 coming out it would be kind of pointless now.. (I still loved the N7 tho).. This is just my humble opinion tho..

Cheers
BR
RIP N7

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is already $20 billion into the worst phone of 2016 with zero revenue to offset it. They'd be inanely moronic to spend a single cent more on it.

I think moving on with a new name and device altogether is a smart move for Samsung. Re-releasing the Note 7 with tweaks might not be enough to convince people that it will charge and work/function accordingly.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Note 7 Comming back

What is this I keep hearing that Samsung found out the main problem with the Note 7 was the battery.
And they are talking about putting new batteries in the Note 7 and bringing them back on the market ?

They are suppose to release the Galaxy S8 first.

Then they are gonna re release the Note 7.

Anybody else heard anything about this.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Comming back

No they wanted them all back to get them out of the hands of the people who had them to avoid being liable for injuries. And to test them to see what went wrong. They are not coming back. S models are released in the spring. Note models in the fall. The next note is a ways away

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Word has it they have millions of Note 7. All they need is a Battery.
And Samsung has good batteries to put in them.
And Samsung is talking about selling the Millions of Note 7's that there is nothing wrong with.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Not coming back. They are not bringing back the Note 7. Only a Note 8 at the end of the year.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

They aren't. The Note 7 has been officially canceled. They'll make a Note 8.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

What is this I keep hearing that Samsung found out the main problem with the Note 7 was the battery.
And they are talking about putting new batteries in the Note 7 and bringing them back on the market ?

They are suppose to release the Galaxy S8 first.

Then they are gonna re release the Note 7.

Anybody else heard anything about this.
Where exactly do you "keep hearing" this?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Even if it did come back, you still won't be able to take it on a plane. It's over, lol. Give up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech