View Poll Results: Do you want the GN8.0 to have phone abilities?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck yea! I don't mind looking crazy every now and then

20 60.61%
  • No, I'd rather just carry 2 separate devices

13 39.39%
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By lpt2569
  • 1 Post By vincentallen2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default First Thread! Woo! So Phone Capabilities??[POLL]

I honestly can't see anyone holding an 8 inch tablet up to their head to talk on the phone.. might be more realistic with a bluetooth but still.. I'm happy with my note 2 for now. Does everyone want to see this thing with phone capabilities or not?

Default Re: First Thread! Woo! So Phone Capabilities??[POLL]

I don't think this thing is going to have calling capability in the U.S. That's just my guess. Interestingly, all Samsung tablets (except for the original 10.1 and 8.9) sold here in Asia (and maybe Europe) can be used as phones. That includes the Tab 2 10.1 and Note 10.1. And I have seen a couple people hold 7 in. Tabs to their heads to talk. I've used my 7.0 plus as a phone a couple of times in the privacy of my home, but only on speaker phone.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

No thanks Note 2 is big enough

News said that its price is no competitive compare to iPad Mini in price.
    If you want to know something about flash player go to this blog flash-video-player.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Confused as to why this is in the phone section and not the tablet section...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Rosaura1234 View Post
    News said that its price is no competitive compare to iPad Mini in price.
    The ipad mini is still overpriced.
    Last edited by xlDeMoNiClx; 02-01-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Personally I don't see why a device this big would even be given phone capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

That's why I have the Note 2.....best of both device in a reasonable and comparable size.

Quote Originally Posted by UsedName View Post
    That's why I have the Note 2.....best of both device in a reasonable and comparable size.
    I just use an Evo and a Nexus 10. Never saw much appeal in the Note 2 personally. Look good though.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

I really want to downgrade to one device. I hated that sprint never allowed phone capabilities for the original tab. I'm hopping someone on any platform allows this for the US market. I don't think it will have a negative affect on phone sales.

Would prefer it not to. My primary device is a Windows Phone and given my HEAVY Microsoft integration it plans to stay that way. The GNote 8.0 will be the replacement to my HTC Flyer, as a note-taking, lightweight productivity device. I have a MacBook Pro running Windows 8 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion for the heavy productivity and for the most intense tasks... I have a Windows 8 desktop PC. Would be nice if there was a click in keyboard for it too, but that's a minor inconvenience.
    Windows Phone Central Retired Moderator
    Android Central
    Visitor

From what I've read, internationally it will be a phablet but in the USA, a wifi tablet only.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl

Full article:

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Thread! Woo! So Phone Capabilities??[POLL]-uploadfromtaptalk1361760787556.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    Personally I don't see why a device this big would even be given phone capabilities.
    Here is why...I want this to be me!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Thread! Woo! So Phone Capabilities??[POLL]-galaxy-note-8.jpg  
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock Sense 3.6 ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    Here is why...I want this to be me!!
    +2 Trillion and 7
    lpt2569 likes this.

I can't find any reason to get a 8 without phone support as the only reason I would even get it is to replace my phone, most people hardly talk on their smartphones anyways, I know I don't, my phone is really nothing more than a texting an internet device, and the few times I do use my phone is hands free in my car, so a larger phone would be better all around cause having two separate devices sucks, the only better solution is the Asus padfone that we don't get in the US, if we did that would be my phone, barring that the note 8 with call capability is the next best option, without phone capability though I see note reason in getting the note 8 over the note 10.1, especially given that you can find the note 10.1 for only $10 more than the note 8.

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by shiltz View Post
    I can't find any reason to get a 8 without phone support as the only reason I would even get it is to replace my phone, most people hardly talk on their smartphones anyways, I know I don't, my phone is really nothing more than a texting an internet device, and the few times I do use my phone is hands free in my car, so a larger phone would be better all around cause having two separate devices sucks, the only better solution is the Asus padfone that we don't get in the US, if we did that would be my phone, barring that the note 8 with call capability is the next best option, without phone capability though I see note reason in getting the note 8 over the note 10.1, especially given that you can find the note 10.1 for only $10 more than the note 8.
    It doesnt have "built-in" phone support that doesnt mean you cant use it just like you use your phone. I found a nifty app called tablet talk. With the app on your phone and on your tablet you join the 2 over bluetooth or wifi. Now I can send and receive texts on my tablet and make calls as well. Works perfectly. Whats more is after the 2 are joined you can import all your contacts straight to your tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    It doesnt have "built-in" phone support that doesnt mean you cant use it just like you use your phone. I found a nifty app called tablet talk. With the app on your phone and on your tablet you join the 2 over bluetooth or wifi. Now I can send and receive texts on my tablet and make calls as well. Works perfectly. Whats more is after the 2 are joined you can import all your contacts straight to your tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk
    How is the battery on the Note 8 hold up with this apps? Since I got my GN8, I've use Mighty Text on my S3 and GN8 to keep SMS in sync. I will try this out since it have SMS and make calls over BT or WIFI.