Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Optimus Prune
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 vs iPad Mini vs Nexus 7

Finally Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 has come to us at MWC 2013, and it seems to own the powerful hardware platform, but what will it be rated compared to the competitors Nexus 7 and iPad Mini? Just read the battle of "".
    If you want to know something about flash player go to this blog flash-video-player.blogspot.com

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 vs iPad Mini vs Nexus 7

My wife has a 32GB iPad Mini with LTE and it's very good. I'd like one too, but at half the price, the Nexus 7 was looking really good. Now, I see this as a better alternative to the iPad Mini than the Nexus 7. It really depends on the price, will it be closer to the Nexus 7 or the iPad Mini?

Not in the same league with ipad mini or Nexus 7 for that matter. The Note 8.0 will be in a class by itself. Can't wait to see when it is coming etc.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

I am an Android fan. But....
    To be fair, why not comparing to the newer iPad mini 2 coming out soon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Since the iPad mini 2 isn't announced, that makes it difficult to compare. Once it is announced, I'm sure it will be compared to the Note 8.0.

At this point the Note 8 is probably gonna be able to beat both the iPad Mini and the Nexus 7 since the Nexus 7 is a budget tablet with great secs for that price but it's been out for a while, and the iPad Mini is just outdated specs and a crappy screen with a ridiculous price tag. It's been called Apple's least competitive product ever from what I've read.

The iPad mini is actually a very good tablet. The screen looks good, and it runs plenty fast. It's not cheap, but it's solid for the price. Calling it outdated and uncompetitive is just silly. It's not cheap, but it's quality matches it's price.

The Nexus 7 has the benefit of GPS w/o the 3G radio. The price is low, but it's also smaller, but is missing the rear camera, also it's all plastic.

The Note 8's hardware is more like the iPad mini, but needs to be closer to the Nexus 7 in price. If it's about the same price as an iPad mini, I'm taking the mini.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 vs iPad Mini vs Nexus 7

I don't see how it's a good tablet. Hell, I saw a $99 pan digital tablet that had 1 GB of RAM. The mini is planned obsolescence at its finest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The iPad does not have outdated specs and the screen is a little lower res but much better color and contrast. Also 35% more viewable screen. I would take the Mini screen over either the Nexus 7 or the Samsung any day. Lets keep in mind the Nexus series are all sold at cost in an effort to jump start the Android tablet market which is still weak or to get the stock experience out there in the marketplace. The iPad Mini is selling like hotcakes, far better than the sold at cost Nexus 7. Should be a new Nexus 7 soon which will stil be a better deal than the Samsung and if the next Mini is retina as expected then it will rule the market place even more than it does now. Personally I still prefer larger tablets but I seem to be in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    At this point the Note 8 is probably gonna be able to beat both the iPad Mini and the Nexus 7 since the Nexus 7 is a budget tablet with great secs for that price but it's been out for a while, and the iPad Mini is just outdated specs and a crappy screen with a ridiculous price tag. It's been called Apple's least competitive product ever from what I've read.

iOS doesn't need 2 GB of ram as Android does due to better internal efficiencies including not having to run a JVM. There are plenty of detailed reviews measuring ram usage that prove this. Or you could read a little about iOS and Android internals.

Quote Originally Posted by seanpr View Post
    I don't see how it's a good tablet. Hell, I saw a $99 pan digital tablet that had 1 GB of RAM. The mini is planned obsolescence at its finest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wondered if we'd be seeing you again snook. Point us to these reviews then.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

ROM
    Stockness

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    iOS doesn't need 2 GB of ram as Android does due to better internal efficiencies including not having to run a JVM. There are plenty of detailed reviews measuring ram usage that prove this. Or you could read a little about iOS and Android internals.
    The Mini doesnt even have a full gig of RAM! Try running a few things at once and see if you "need" over 1gb. Youll find out real quick the Mini most definitely needed more than 512mb!! When I played with a Mini at BB I had to close a bunch of stuff to make it usable.

Now that some people have it, how do you like it compared to the N7?
    I am thinking of getting one and selling my n7. I'm a school teacher and graduate student and want something for that can help me be more productive. Pictures of student work, Annotations, etc... Just not sure I can afford the $400 (or $200ish if I can sell my n7 for 200ish).

Is it worth it? It is it a great improvement over the n7?

Has the S Pen made a difference in using a tablet for work activities? Or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi217 View Post
    Now that some people have it, how do you like it compared to the N7?
    I am thinking of getting one and selling my n7. I'm a school teacher and graduate student and want something for that can help me be more productive. Pictures of student work, Annotations, etc... Just not sure I can afford the $400 (or $200ish if I can sell my n7 for 200ish).
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I also have a Nexus 7 and decided to take the plunge and give the Note 8 a test run. After the first day, I thought I'd probably return it. But the more I use the S-pen and set up the Note 8 to work the way that I want it to work the less I think about returning it.

If you have a lot of note-taking and annotation work like Yogi, I'd say it's subjectively worth the upgrade over the Nexus 7. It is a tough upgrade, though, since by the time you add a case, perhaps a card, and taxes you are hitting $475+. That's some rough cabbage.

To illustrate why it is worth it to me, here is an example from this afternoon. [Note- this is after having rooted and installed Multi Window Manager. Can't do this out-of-the-box with the apps I am about to mention.] I had a conference call via Webex this afternoon. I booted up the Webex and then used the multi-window feature to open a PowerPoint project document in Kingsoft Office. I edited the PowerPoint by adding notes with the S-pen while at the same time following the Webex. That's good stuff. It's not PERFECT, mind you. Real estate is a little scrunched, especially when room is needed for a keyboard or text input window, and you have to be careful to save your work before dismissing the document you are working on, but all-in-all this is going to make my travel and airplane time much more productive.

Of course, that's if I WANT to be productive. The multimedia aspects of the Note 8 are all better than the Nexus 7, as you'd expect. The screen is nicer (subjectively), movies look better, Ravensword looks amazing and is silky smooth. I certainly would not justify a $400+ upgrade on these minor multimedia improvements alone, but they are slightly better in every regard. It's the S-pen and dual-pane capability that justifies it for me in my own, gadget-obsessed mind.
    Thanked by 2:

I have a note 2, nexus 7 and now note 8.0. The nexus disappointed me. It's running 4.2.1 but it's choppy and i had multiple apps crash. Note 8.0 has been great so far. I like the screen better and design and s pen plus it's faster and works so much better than my nexus 7

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

The pen is quite nice. You just have to play with it to figure out how you would ise it best. I was playing last night and found out that with note taking I can write in cursive and it knows exactly what im writing and converts to print.

Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    The Mini doesnt even have a full gig of RAM! Try running a few things at once and see if you "need" over 1gb. Youll find out real quick the Mini most definitely needed more than 512mb!! When I played with a Mini at BB I had to close a bunch of stuff to make it usable.
    I've got a mini and it's very zippy. I've had a bunch of things open all at once and I've never had any slow down or lagging. I think the 512mb is fine for that device. Anyhow I've not seen the note 8.0 yet so can't say which one is the best of the 3. I used to have a nexus 7 and I prefer my mini to that. However being a note phone owner I'm biased towards the note 8.0

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Android Central forums

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

The S pen of Galaxy note 8 is amazing, but its price is too high. I don't want spend the Extra Bucks for the S-Pen. So my favorite is Nexus 7.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by zwj1234 View Post
    The S pen of Galaxy note 8 is amazing, but its price is too high. I don't want spend the Extra Bucks for the S-Pen. So my favorite is Nexus 7.
    Well, let's face it, if you don't have a use for the S-pen, there is no compelling reason to buy the Note 8.0. That's' why I find it funny that all of these reviews out there are comparing the Note 8.0 with the iPad mini or Nexus 7. Or calling the Note 8.0 overpriced by fifty or a hundred bucks. If someone can point me to another seven or eight inch tablet in the market that accepts hardware stylus input, I'm all ears. Otherwise, these reviewers are comparing pickup trucks to Priuses and trying to say one is better than the other.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Optimus Prune; 04-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Andy847, psyke45 and jlmtorch like this.