Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By mitchellvii
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A Note 10.1 owners initial impression...

Let me start off by saying that the entire Note line's fatal flaw is the weak note-taking software. Although a nice gimmick, it is not something to be used by the serious professional. When compared to the gold standard of note-taking, OneNote, S-Notes is sadly lacking in almost every aspect.

1. It can't search on written text.
    2. It can't move blocks of text.
    3. It can't embed tags.
    4. It can't embed context sensitve audio other than for the entire page.
    5. It's text search function is painfully slow.
    6. It's proprietary version of .snb files cannot be viewed in Windows.
    7. It does not allow the user to create their own templates nor save styles.
    8. It does not allow the user to place a cursor for text entry anywhere on the screen by tapping.

I could go on and on. S-Notes is a toy for light journaling and maybe students (if they aren't serious) but a business person would find limited usefulness.

Ok, that being said, the Note 8.0 for what it is, a lightweight Android device with pen input for less than $500 is very nice. At 189 ppi the screen is ok but nowhere near as crystal clear as the iPad 4 or the Surface Pro. Still it is a big improvement over the Note 10.1. Nevertheless, one is struck with the "big phone" vs "tablet" feel to it. Although it is slightly more expensive than the iPad Mini, it is a superior device from a functionality standpoint in every conceivable way. It is exceptionally light and to me at least did not feel cheap.

My recommendation is a buy if you want a lightweight tablet with a pretty good screen and a pen for light note taking and sketching. Serious business people should buy a device which can handle full inking on OneNote, which limits you to far more expensive devices (but then again, you are a business person and this should not be an issue).

Global Posts
    31,327 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: A Note 10.1 owners initial impression...

Thanks for sharing. Always nice to have honest input.

Default Re: A Note 10.1 owners initial impression...

OneNote is now available for the Note 8. Also, Evernote for Android has handwriting now. An active stylus is a big win over tablets that don't have it, even if the stock apps aren't as powerful as we would like.