Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By dvigue
  • 1 Post By Andy847
  • 1 Post By sndplace
  • 1 Post By karsdroid
  • 1 Post By jdub1981
  • 1 Post By Andy847
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,011 Global Posts

Default got my note 8 today....

all i can say DO NOT LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS on the screen! the screen is WAY , FAR better then they say...way better then the Ipad mini but obviously worse then the Nexus 10...but the nexus 10 has raised the bar VERY far..

the look, feel, and width are perfect...i am really considering returning my Nexus 7 , and selling my Nexus 10 and keeping this..

my advice? go see it for yourself....
    Thanked by 4:
    karsdroid, nicoled985 and cybercrs like this.

Default Re: got my note 8 today....

The reviewers have been inconsistent about the screen. Some have said it's poor whilst others have said it was fine. CNET even went as far as to say it was stunning so go figure. Sammy usually do good screens so I'm sure it's nice. Hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Android Central forums

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I'm sure the screen looks fine; there was a lot of negativity about the 10.1 screen and I personally have no issues with it; yes, the DPI is not all that great compared to some high end tablets, but it still looks good when playing video's.

got mine yesterday and i love it!! i've had the s3, moved up to note 2, and now this.....love the spen. screen looks great. gave my transformer prime over to my husband. the size of this is perfect.

Almost every review I've read on any of the Galaxy Note's have been written by websites that seem to be heavily influenced toward Apple's Ipads. They give such biased opinions on the Note Series. I've never had a problem with my 10.1's screen and I'm sure the 8 has just as good if not better.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB
    karsdroid likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    1,011 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy847 View Post
    Almost every review I've read on any of the Galaxy Note's have been written by websites that seem to be heavily influenced toward Apple's Ipads. They give such biased opinions on the Note Series. I've never had a problem with my 10.1's screen and I'm sure the 8 has just as good if not better.
    yes..good point especially THEVERGE.com. they are massive apple fanboys..its unreal. i love all platforms...the text on the note8 is LEAGUES over the ipad mini..i notice ZERo jagged edges..

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

I never really listen to them about the screens from Samsung since owning 4 of there devices and knowing how good they are. I want the Note 8 but still waiting on word if the International one with cell radios will word here. If not then I'll pick up this one. Having the Note 2 myself want to know hows the feel in the hands. Ill find out in a few weeks when i decide and pick one up
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.

I was so thinking the same thing about the screen! I love it! The reviewers ive watched for the most part downplay it as well. It's so crazy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

The same crap was spouted about the Note 10.1. Everyone's a professional without ever holding the devices in hand. I am 100% satisfied with the screen on my Note 10.1 and I am certain the 8 is every bit as good. If you are a screen snob and HAVE to watch all your media in the highest HD possible, you wouldn't have bought a Note device to begin with because the Note line is for people who buy their tablets to get work done. If I wanted to watch the Super Bowl in HD, I would have spent the 500 on an HD tv to hang in my living room. But I needed the tablet for school and work meetings so I bought what I needed. I am very very happy with my purchase of the 10.1 and would have bought the 8 if it was available. My ONLY wish is that the 10.1 had the pull down notification like the 8 has instead of the corner settings menu.
    Thanked by:

I think that the screen quality can be subjective. I have an iPad 2 and the screen is just fine for me, but I the ppi isn't as good as the Note 8.0. This tablet looks cool. If I were in the market to get one, I would probably be interested. Especially since it has the S-pen.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

I've also read disparaging remarks about battery life, but l find its hanging in there nicely!! Even with heavy use l get the whole day plus some. i charge at night because I'm used to charging then not necessarily because it totally needs it.
    cybercrs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sndplace View Post
    I never really listen to them about the screens from Samsung since owning 4 of there devices and knowing how good they are. I want the Note 8 but still waiting on word if the International one with cell radios will word here. If not then I'll pick up this one. Having the Note 2 myself want to know hows the feel in the hands. Ill find out in a few weeks when i decide and pick one up
    Yes the International one will work here based on the specs. 850-1900 HSPA which is ATT or Rogers and friends. That version is only the 3G version though so I were you I would wait out the month and see what happens with the LTE version. It may also be just an international version but we'll have to wait to see what radio frequencies it uses. It might work here as well or they might release that version here with voice capabilities. The other option is that it will just be a data radio version. They said the LTE would be released a month later.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Battery life is not bad on mine. Alot of reviewers compare it to ipad mini. This is not ios. IOS and apple in general have a very optimized os. Unfortunately, this also creates a walled garden effect. Android on the other hand is completely customizable and open and thus far, with my limited knowledge of android with my note 2 and note 8, I absolutely love it. I knew going in I wasnt gonna get 10 hours of battery life. But for general usage I get about 7-9 hours of screen on time depending on what types of tasks ive done that day.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk
    karsdroid likes this.

I went out and got mine last night from Best Buy. I'm loving it so far. The screen looks great, pretty good battery life on it. I am a little upset about my Nova launcher not really being optimized for it. I managed a fix for it though. On my GN 10.1 I have the app drawer and settings in the upper right corner, but on the 8 seems like Nova doesn't have this option. So since I don't like to use the dock, they have a way to put a round icon for the app drawer on Each Home Screen. Takes up some real estate, but not a problem. Touchwiz just isn't customizable enough for me.
    So Far had no problem with setting up the Watch On app, but I didn't see any way to setup more than your TV and Satellite Box. How do you set up other inputs like my Soundbar and Blu Ray? That I can do in Peel app. I'm liking the Watch On app's guide better though.

The Pros so far:
    1. Finally someone makes a Power/Usb cord longer than the usual for the tablets sold previously. That I'm really impressed with.
    2. Note taking seems good with S Note, although with Note Taking, I sometimes hit the back or Home button, which can be a pain. Wish they had the On screen buttons like the 10.1.
    3. Battery life seems pretty good. To early to tell exactly how much I'm using, but seems adequate.
    4. Speakers are loud enough for me, wasn't expecting too much there.
    Cons:
    1. Price, I still think it's expensive, but it ended up not deterring me from getting one.
    2. I just wish they had the 32gb, because I'm already at 7.90 gb after all my apps, games, and stuff.
    3. Multiview is a bit confusing, but with no help I finally figured out how to get the apps in split screen and get the submenu to cascade them or make full size windows. I already knew about long pressing the back button to get the row of multiview apps. I bit more confusing than the GN 10.1.
    4. Can't seem to find any good places to get Wallpapers for the GN 8. I don't know the image sizes to use and so far, just tried using the ones for the Galaxy Note 2 and they seem to work. I hate the ones that come with the device. LOL.
    5. I'm really surprised that for the Price, you don't get any extra S Pen Tips for the S Pen. I got extra ones in the box with my Galaxy Note 10.1. Even the extra full size Samsung Slate digitizer Pen I got off of Amazon came with extra ones.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. I have the MOKO Slim folio Case for it, it's ok, but a bit thicker than I'd like. It works great as a stand though and that's why I got it. Good for protecting it and it fits well. Just put a Minisuit screen protector on it and have a 32gb Micro SD card in it. May buy another Regular Pen Sized S Pen for it, have one for my 10.1 at home, want one for this when I take it with me. Other than that, I'm pretty set.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB
    somdave2005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sndplace View Post
    Looks like the info is starting to be released now. Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 saunters past FCC with AT&T-friendly LTE

Try amazing wallpapers from tbe amazon app store. Its free and has hundreds of images, several categories.

Just got my Note 8.0 this weekend as a birthday present, and I like it a lot. I've never had a tablet of any kind before, although I'm on my second iPod Touch and never go anywhere without the little gadget. I'm not a huge fan of the iPad mini, so I thought I'd leave the walled garden this time and go with Android. I picked the Note for the size, shape and clarity of the screen and the S Pen and its software. I'm a cartoonist and was fascinated by the drawing possibilities built into S Note. Spent the whole weekend alternately scribbling away, rearranging the items on the Note's home screen and browsing the web with Chrome.

Everything seems to be working fine so far, although I'm frustrated by the lack of any kind of manual, since I am old enough that I learn best from books. When I got my first Touch I was able to buy a book that outlined the basics, but there doesn't seem to be one for the Note tablets-- only the phones. Is my Note tablet's software enough like the phone's that a book aimed at the phone users would help me? Is there a good online resource specifically focused on the Note tablets?

Thanks.

I received my Note 8 a few days ago and I love it. I had tried a Nexus 7 earlier this year for a few weeks, but this blows it away. The biggest advantage is the SPen. It makes taking notes a breeze. It also works excellent in converting to text in Polaris Office. The speech to text is very accurate too.

I registered the device on the Samsung web site and received my Google Play gift a couple of hours later. No problems.

this tablet will be really handy in the office for taking notes and getting info to my clients. I too have had an iPod Touch and thought I wanted an iPad, but I think I'll be happier with this.

Got a sweet deal on Newegg as a new customer. 15% off equaled a total shipped price of $339.99. Not a bad deal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by yardcoyote View Post
    Just got my Note 8.0 this weekend as a birthday present, and I like it a lot. I've never had a tablet of any kind before, although I'm on my second iPod Touch and never go anywhere without the little gadget. I'm not a huge fan of the iPad mini, so I thought I'd leave the walled garden this time and go with Android. I picked the Note for the size, shape and clarity of the screen and the S Pen and its software. I'm a cartoonist and was fascinated by the drawing possibilities built into S Note. Spent the whole weekend alternately scribbling away, rearranging the items on the Note's home screen and browsing the web with Chrome.

Everything seems to be working fine so far, although I'm frustrated by the lack of any kind of manual, since I am old enough that I learn best from books. When I got my first Touch I was able to buy a book that outlined the basics, but there doesn't seem to be one for the Note tablets-- only the phones. Is my Note tablet's software enough like the phone's that a book aimed at the phone users would help me? Is there a good online resource specifically focused on the Note tablets?

Thanks.
    You can find pretty much everything at the links below.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 | Wi-Fi | Samsung Mobile
    Galaxy Note 8.0
    Support - Wi-Fi Tabs GT-N5110 | Samsung Galaxy Tab

Cool, might have to try to get one!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ROM
    Stock ICS

After three generations of iPad, I have jumped into the Note 8. Although it is certainly at a high price point, the S-pen and multi-window features set it apart from the competition. With moderate use, I have yet to get below 25% by the end of the day. I don't have good handwriting, but the Note 8 handles block letters and cursive with > 90% accuracy. Notes are added easily via Adobe Reader to .pdf files. The display looks great, and the auto-brightness works well. With Evernote), Office Pro, and the terrific text recognition, I'm much more productive on my tablet. Between this and my HTC One I am in tech heaven!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums

Thumbs up Re: got my note 8 today....

Thank you very much, playbook! Those links look like exactly what I need-- they should come preloaded into the Note's bookmarks. Needless to say, they are there now, in their own special folder.

Now to figure out how to use the multi window feature ...
    Galaxy Note 8.0 white 16GB

Just wanted to add that while I was hunting around in the links that Nflplaybook posted. I found exactly what I needed-- a .pdf of the manual to my new device. I should be OK now-- it's dry reading, but it is all written down. Thank you very much.
    Galaxy Note 8.0 white 16GB