Popup browser

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi... Does anyone know how to get the pop up browser capability working on the note 8.0? This feature was mentioned in the features section of Samsung's Note 8.0 Web page but seems to be missing on the device... I was a big fan of this on the Note 2 and would be very disappointed if it was left off the Note 8.0.
Thanks
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Weird. There's really no point in them removing this feature. It's very useful. Even more so with a larger screen. And like I said... It's listed on the Note 8.0 web page
Popup Browser
Open a browser window without ever leaving an application. The Popup Browser allows you to select a web link in an email or message, and a browser window opens on top of your screen. Move the window anywhere on the screen so you can keep working within your original app, or expand it to full screen.

Popup Browser works only with the Internet browser on your device, not Chrome or other browser options.
http://m.samsung.com/us/article/tips--tricks-galaxy-note-8-0

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Weird. There's really no point in them removing this feature. It's very useful. Even more so with a larger screen. And like I said... It's listed on the Note 8.0 web page
Popup Browser
Open a browser window without ever leaving an application. The Popup Browser allows you to select a web link in an email or message, and a browser window opens on top of your screen. Move the window anywhere on the screen so you can keep working within your original app, or expand it to full screen.

Popup Browser works only with the Internet browser on your device, not Chrome or other browser options.
http://m.samsung.com/us/article/tips--tricks-galaxy-note-8-0

I followed the instructions both for the pop up browser and video both. No luck in getting it to work :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks... I just talked to Samsung's support... They did the and things... Download apps to emulate the pop up browser... I still find this disappointing due to the fact that it works on the Note 2 out of the box... Natively. Also... They advertised this feature... Kinda false advertising too. Not to mention we can't watch amazon content on the browser... I'm starting to regret purchasing this device... First experience with a true Samsung product too.

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks... I just talked to Samsung's support... They did the and things... Download apps to emulate the pop up browser... I still find this disappointing due to the fact that it works on the Note 2 out of the box... Natively. Also... They advertised this feature... Kinda false advertising too. Not to mention we can't watch amazon content on the browser... I'm starting to regret purchasing this device... First experience with a true Samsung product too.

I agree that it is pretty ballsy to continue to have the capability listed on their product page when it's not available. The Amazon issue has turned out to be universal, though. Doesn't work anywhere anymore, from what people are posting.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What amazon issues? Also, when I first setup my note 8 I recall having the use of popup but never choose that option and choose something else and click always. Now I dont see it anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What amazon issues? Also, when I first setup my note 8 I recall having the use of popup but never choose that option and choose something else and click always. Now I dont see it anymore.

Amazon instant videos are no longer playing even with flash side loaded......i spent a ton of time yesterday trying a million different browsers and no go.

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Why remove pop up browser from this device? It works perfectly fine on the note 2 and is possibly one of the more useful added features in touchwiz. I have until Friday to return mine. I wasn't going to but now I may.

nicoled985

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow over pop up browser? Lol I have note 2 and barely use pop up browser and pop up video works just fine
apavyga4.jpg

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

LoCaLsOlJa

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if this might help haven't got to play with the Note 8.0 but try going to settings/app manager and swipe left to the ALL tab, scroll down and look for Internet and try clearing the default. Hope it works had to do that a couple of times on my Note 2 because I hit the regular browser and saved as select always after clicking a link.

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It isn't over pop up browser...It's over a missing feature Samsung advertised...and removed for no real reason. Also dealing with their customer service was a horrible experience. The device is over priced...only comes in white...has little to no accessories available at launch...only a 16GB version available at launch....no flash on the camera...the hard buttons are a poor design for this type of device...the S pen is too short...registering for the 25 dollar Google Play credit was way too much work...and I still am not sure if I got it....the book cover is a flimsy joke at 50 bucks...
The list is of disappointment is endless for me...pretty much the only thing Samsung got right is the size of the device. I was personal going out on a limb trying it anyway...my only other Android experience is with pretty much pure devices.

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I also really liked pop up browser playing with the note 2. I think it's a great feature to be able to quickly glance at a link with out leaving an app. The dual screen mode didn't work with everything and isn't nearly as fast and efficient to use. The pop up browser seemed to be an option in most of the apps I tried on the Note 2.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It isn't over pop up browser...It's over a missing feature Samsung advertised...and removed for no real reason. Also dealing with their customer service was a horrible experience. The device is over priced...only comes in white...has little to no accessories available at launch...only a 16GB version available at launch....no flash on the camera...the hard buttons are a poor design for this type of device...the S pen is too short...registering for the 25 dollar Google Play credit was way too much work...and I still am not sure if I got it....the book cover is a flimsy joke at 50 bucks...
The list is of disappointment is endless for me...pretty much the only thing Samsung got right is the size of the device. I was personal going out on a limb trying it anyway...my only other Android experience is with pretty much pure devices.

Actually, of that 16gb only 9.something is available. Yea it sucks but I got a 64gb mem card for a reason. Only thing that really sux is if you play a large file game.

Last edited:

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah...Samsung...and other manufacturers should stop advertising storage space that doesn't actually exist while they are at it too...when their OS eats into it at least.

nicoled985

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Just take it back then. No point in having it if you feel that way. Or sell it

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...Samsung...and other manufacturers should stop advertising storage space that doesn't actually exist while they are at it too...when their OS eats into it at least.

I absolutely love mine...LOVE IT! So much lighter and faster than my previous ipad. As part of of my $25 credit I bought photoshop touch at $10. Spen makes it so much easier to do stuff, im a beginner at it but it it is awesome.

My only complaint is not with the device at all but with the accessories. The book cover is a POS. I have it only because I needed it. The front is worthless, because it isnt secure when flat against the screen and when propped up in the landscape position and the flap is on a smooth surface it easily slips and falls. That last part is only on my night stand but that where I use this function most. Id say it probably cost $5 at most to make it and worth maybe $25. Definitely not $50.

Glockman4519

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I had been reading some of these posts and wondered the same thing, why don't you just take it back. I am looking to get the pop up browser too but if I can't for what ever reason, I still like the tablet. I have plenty of room and many options to expand my memory of needed. Also, I rooted mine. That gives me way more options and turns this tablet into a kick but machine. Nuff said.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If it makes anyone feel less slighted, I don't seem to have pop-up browser as an option on my Note 2 after the 4.3 update. It used to be an option when I clicked on a link but it's not there any longer. It's not on my Note 8 either, but it never was because mine came with 4.2.2 out of the box. I thought it was a Note 8 missing feature like the lack of S-Pen Keeper. Apparently this option has gone by the wayside. Why things so away with "upgrades" is beyond me, "upgrade" implies improvements, not loss of functionality. :(

Update: I have discovered that Boat Browser for Tablets includes a Floating Boat option that acts like the pop-up browser I used to have on my Note 2.

Last edited: