Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default problem with swiftkey

love swiftkey but i cant seem to get it to work properly on the note 8. i tried the tablet and regular phone versions with no luck....keyboard comes up but no flow or predictions. i have full versions. not sure if its just me or what ive got going wrong.

Default Re: problem with swiftkey

Only problem I have and you will find this out also, is most keyboards on the tablets will not stay as your chosen keyboard. Every time I turn off my GN 10.1 or GN 8, it reverts back to the Samsung Keyboard by default. I just bought the Swype keyboard also, since it was on sale, and same problem. I love the Swiftkey flow on my phone, which works without any problems, but for some reason with the tablet versions of the keyboards, they all revert back to Samsung Keyboard. Supposedly it's a problem on Google's end with the Play Store, but why does it work fine on my Phone?
    Anyways, I'm sure you've done this, but make sure the Flow option is checked in settings under swiftkey flow. Not sure about the predictions part, I don't see that in the settings. Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the app again. That may help. I had one app that froze my Note 8, then I uninstalled and reinstalled it and all is fine now.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB

Hi Karsdroid,

If you've got no predictions whatsoever, make sure that you've fully installed the application. To do so, you may need to click on the SwiftKey icon in your app drawer.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the input, but yes to all of the above....uninstalled thinking something had gotten messed up in the installation, but no luck. actually have checked, unchecked and checked again in the settings. Not sure why tablet keyboards are such a pain. seems like i had similar issues with my transformer prime and just ended up sticking with the native keyboard. it's not a tragedy just wondering if anyone else had found a problem and a solution.

Not sure if this is your problem but I noticed that swiftkey flow and predictions only work when the S Pen is not in use. Not sure why this happens, but it has actually driven me to start using the Samsung keyboard by default now. BTW the samsung keyboard has both predictions and flow on the Note 8 if you look in the settings, so you dont lose much by using it instead.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ok weird....i uninstalled and reinstalled one more time and now its working...with the spen also. i don't know what the deal is, but we'll see if it lasts

Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    ok weird....i uninstalled and reinstalled one more time and now its working...with the spen also. i don't know what the deal is, but we'll see if it lasts
    When you say it's working with the s-pen, do you mean you are able to use the s-pen even though swiftkey is default? I have an issue where I can't use the s-pen if I have swiftkey set as default. When I have the pen out, and tap on an input area, all I get is the swiftkey keyboard, not the writing area for the s-pen... frustrating.

Shawn
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy0846 View Post
    When you say it's working with the s-pen, do you mean you are able to use the s-pen even though swiftkey is default? I have an issue where I can't use the s-pen if I have swiftkey set as default. When I have the pen out, and tap on an input area, all I get is the swiftkey keyboard, not the writing area for the s-pen... frustrating.

Shawn
    wow, that was forever ago and i'm not sure what i was referencing.....however to answer your question, no there is no handwriting recognition with swiftkey, however when clicking on any input area to bring up a keyboard you can switch between installed keyboards quickly by pulling down the notification bar and selecting "select input method" and switch from swiftkey to stock keyboard and therefore handwriting input.