Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By unashamedgeek
  • 1 Post By gkantz
  • 1 Post By badMojo69
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the GN8 worth $400...

CNET says...well I wont spoil it for you watch the video.

Global Posts
    5,782 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Is the GN8 worth $400...

In no way ever. I put the relative value of this compared to other devices in this approximate size range at $175. For 400 you could buy a Nexus 10 or an iPad 4, or a Nexus 7 (better small tablet) and have $150 left over.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    In no way ever. I put the relative value of this compared to other devices in this approximate size range at $175. For 400 you could buy a Nexus 10 or an iPad 4, or a Nexus 7 (better small tablet) and have $150 left over.
    But still no digitizer. That is what matters to me, so it was worth it to me. I do a lot of handwriting on it and the stylus is great. Pair that with Papyrus and I have my palm resting on the screen the entire time and it works perfectly. This has been discussed already, but to reiterate it is worth it to me, but it won't be worth it for all users.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Baloney. I have been using this for note taking and handwriting recognition in meetings and trainings and that alone has been invaluable. The S-Pen and the apps that work with it are quite good - not great, but definitely worth the money. The fact that it has such a good screen in a small footprint and the handwriting recognition make all the difference.
    Optimus Prune likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I have an iPad and a Nexus 7. Still worth it for me despite owning both devices for all of the reasons mentioned by the two previous posters. Value is subjective. People have to deal with that.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I only paid $399.99 for mine. Let me know if anyone wants the link...

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

LOL....that one cent discount will draw them in any time. :P

But just so some of you know, Amazon does have it for $379.99. Best price I've seen it so far.

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

350. Would have been a more realistic price. Other than the pen is there any real difference in comparable devices?

Personally, I prefer touchwiz over sense so ill always lean towards samsung in that regard.

Having said that, the tab 3 was recently announced and is an 8" device as well, I wonder how much itll be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Samsung...where we throw things at the wall until something sticks and then we throw more stuff.
    Darth Spock likes this.

I have the Note 10.1 and a Note 8. IMO the build quality seems much better with the 8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Quote Originally Posted by gkantz View Post
    LOL....that one cent discount will draw them in any time. :P

But just so some of you know, Amazon does have it for $379.99. Best price I've seen it so far.
    Actually, I was kidding, and used the above amz price to PM at Best Buy and use some BB coupons to further lower the cost. Making it "worth it" for me. Would have preferred a dark color + 32GB on board, but tese weren't essential features worth waiting adfitional weeks or months to emerge, if ever.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    350. Would have been a more realistic price. Other than the pen is there any real difference in comparable devices?

Personally, I prefer touchwiz over sense so ill always lean towards samsung in that regard.

Having said that, the tab 3 was recently announced and is an 8" device as well, I wonder how much itll be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Tab 3 has significantly lower hardware specs than the Note 8 and while I love the S pen, I would consider giving it up for a tab 3 with othewise equivalent hardware specs and responsiveness to the note 8 (for a commensurate reduction in cost of course). But the announced tab 3 specs are just too far a departure, and I am not interested a budget tab that is that watered down.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums

They haven't officially announced the processor yet, have they? It might be worth it if it has a snapdragon 400. Or at least an ir blaster. After owning a note 8, I can say that the spen is pretty great. Works well, and is very useful in certain professions, I would imagine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I just picked mine up at OfficeMax on Monday, they have a coupon this week for 20% off. My total price with tax was 341.59. It seems like a good deal to me and I haven't seen it mentioned on the forums, so I thought I'd through that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ncvikingx97 View Post
    They haven't officially announced the processor yet, have they? It might be worth it if it has a snapdragon 400. Or at least an ir blaster. After owning a note 8, I can say that the spen is pretty great. Works well, and is very useful in certain professions, I would imagine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Yes, they haven't officially announced the cpu manufacturer but the press release mentions a 1.5 GHz dual core proc vs. the 1.6 GHz quad of the Note 8 and only 1.5 GB of RAM. So any way you slice it... Interestingly, the Tab 3 10.1 uses an intel proc (1.6G dual core) but only 1 GB of RAM if the press release can be believed - so Samsung is really trying to cut corners where they can to push the price point down on their "budget" tab offerings.

True. At this point if they go woth anything other than an s4 or 400 they are severely crippling their budget tablet, and it eont be able to compete with the nexus 7. Although, 1.5 gigs seems to be common practice for samsung now woth their mid range devices, seeing how their new galaxy mega had only 1.5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta