1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Note 8.0 word processing issue- need support for .rtf and .txt

I thought I was really going to like Polaris Office as I found it pre installed on my new Note 8.0. And I did like it, until I went to save something for the first time. My choices were .doc. And .docx. And that's it. I'm a cartoonist and a blogger and a columnist-- I do a *lot* of writing and I often have to share my work with colleagues across a wide range of platforms. So I've gotten into the habit of saving all my documents as .rtfs, since those seem to work just about everywhere with just about any software.

Except, it seems, for Polaris Office, which not only can't make a .rtf but can't open one either. To add to the problem, notes made on SNote save either in the app's native file format or, through Share Via, as .txts. I would like to be able to open these notes, especially those made with handwriting recognition, in a word processor to edit them. I'd also like to be able to resave them in a format my blogging software can handle.

So I need either another word processor for the Note that handles a wider variety of file formats, or some kind of utility I can use to transfer written documents from one file format to another. (I like the WP in Polaris Office well enough, and I don't really need another big office suite app, so the utility would be a good solution.) Emailing things to myself and using either an old version of Word (on my desktop) or Open Office Writer (on my laptop) to resave them in other formats is not a long term solution. I need my Note 8.0 to work as a solo device for writing and editing away from home, since I'm sick of carrying the ThinkPad around.

Any suggestions for apps that will do this very necessary job for me? Thanks!
    Galaxy Note 8.0 white 16GB

ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: Note 8.0 word processing issue- need support for .rtf and .txt

It's a paid app, but Office Suite Pro supports .rtf and .txt files. I'm sure there are others out there, but OSP works well for me.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, it's not cheap, but if it works ... Makes me wish I had my $25 credit, but I guess I got my Note 8.0 too late. Thank you very much. I'd still be interested to find out if I had another, simpler option than downloading a whole new set of office software, but at least I know I have a way to get working.

In more general terms, the only component of a mobile office suite I ever use is the word processor. Is there any way to get a good, solid freestanding WP and not take up valuable app storage real estate with yet another spreadsheet/presentation/whatever combo? I understand that business users need all these things, but they are wasted on me.

ROM
    Stock ICS

It stands to reason that there is one out there somewhere, but I didn't look for it because I need all of the MS Office "big 3" for my job. Any other thoughts, AC readers?

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by yardcoyote View Post
    Makes me wish I had my $25 credit, but I guess I got my Note 8.0 too late.
    I just bought mine at Office Max for $320, registered it last night and still received the $25 Play credit.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Does anybody have any experience with Textmaker Mobile? It's available separately from the rest of the suite for only $5 and on paper it should do what I need. I don't actually plan to use it as a word processor, just to move things from one file format to another. Another option would be to download Kingsoft Office, which is free, since over the last few days its become pretty clear that it's more important to me to be able to work with .txts than .rtfs. Most of the .rtfs either come in or depart from my desktop, and it's easy enough to convert them to or from .docs from there.

And I just found out that Polaris Office will save as a .txt! So Polaris can read a .txt. So why can't it open a ,txt that is saved in S Note?

Thanks for the info on the $25 credit-- I just found out that my husband registered my GT-N5110 to his Gmail account before he gave it to me so he could set it up-- so it's possible my credit is in his account. Is there any way he can transfer it to mine, or should I just buy $25 worth of stuff before I transfer the Note to my Gmail?

He should have gotten an email with a "code" that can be Redeemed on Google Play by anyone.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks. He didn't get an email-- we're going to work on it using advice from the other thread.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

How did you get it for that price? I just got one Saturday there for $399!

I also got the $25 Play credit after registering with Samsung

Sent from my C6603 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Evans View Post
    I just bought mine at Office Max for $320, registered it last night and still received the $25 Play credit.

Meant to reply to you about how you got this for $320

Office Max had a coupon on their web site for 20% off that included tablets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Evans View Post
    Office Max had a coupon on their web site for 20% off that included tablets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Damn it! I even had seen that coupon but was under the impression it was only for the nexus 7! Thanks

And after lunch I'm off to Best Buy to get the Samsung Book cover ($49.99) for $26.75 with a price match from B&H.