Chrome screen issue on GN8

GN8newbie

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm a newbie to tablets so my new Note 8 is my first experience of Android. For a very long time I've been a fan of Chrome and have it sync'd between my PC and Laptop. I was obviously delighted to find it pre-loaded on the GN8. However, I think the tablet received a software update a couple of weeks ago and ever since then I've had an annoying problem with Chrome. Quite regularly the top line of a web page will be missing. This was really annoying on pages such as Gmail because the top line is a menu, as it is with this site. After a lot of experimenting I discovered that if I rotate the screen, the top line comes back. It doesn't matter which orientation I open Chrome in. I've tried using App Manager to uninstall the updates to Chrome but that didn't fix the problem. I've also tried using the default browser but I prefer Chrome and would rather fix the problem. I'm now contemplating a full Factory Reset to see what that does but I thought I'd ask here first in case someone knows of a simpler solution. Thanks in advance.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking the full screen browsing experience where the address bar disappears?

Posted via Android Central App

XBBSTORM

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm a newbie to tablets so my new Note 8 is my first experience of Android. For a very long time I've been a fan of Chrome and have it sync'd between my PC and Laptop. I was obviously delighted to find it pre-loaded on the GN8. However, I think the tablet received a software update a couple of weeks ago and ever since then I've had an annoying problem with Chrome. Quite regularly the top line of a web page will be missing. This was really annoying on pages such as Gmail because the top line is a menu, as it is with this site. After a lot of experimenting I discovered that if I rotate the screen, the top line comes back. It doesn't matter which orientation I open Chrome in. I've tried using App Manager to uninstall the updates to Chrome but that didn't fix the problem. I've also tried using the default browser but I prefer Chrome and would rather fix the problem. I'm now contemplating a full Factory Reset to see what that does but I thought I'd ask here first in case someone knows of a simpler solution. Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same problem. I'm surprised there isn't too many people complaining about it. The stock browser doesn't seem to be affected.

beavo451

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I've just resigned to doing the screen rotation fix. I can't replicate the problem consistently either.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I've just resigned to doing the screen rotation fix. I can't replicate the problem consistently either.

Mine just started doing this a few days ago and the rotation trick works for me as well.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a host of problems with the Chrome browser. The pen doesn't register where I point but below that point, screen becomes non responsive, etc. And this only started recently... It must be an update that conflicts with the browser

Posted via Android Central App

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Same problem. I'm guessing that Chrome is asking the device about the screen properties (dimensions), and is getting the incorrect sizing. Happens especially when I leave Chrome, look at another app, and return to Chrome: it doesn't redraw the screen properly, the top of the page is not visible and hyperlink touch spots are off. Perhaps a screen driver problem specific to the Note 8. Somehow Chrome gets the correct screen properties during the Rotate event however and displays (draws) the page properly with everything lined up including top of page, top of frame, and hyperlinks. But given that no other apps seem to be affected, the onus is on the Chrome developers to fix I would think. It sucks because it really takes away from Chrome and makes me want to go back to the stock browser.

Last edited:

GN8newbie

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
JoeinCT, that's a great diagnosis. I hadn't picked up on the misplaced hyperlink touch spots but you're right. As you say, since it doesn't affect other apps the onus is with Chrome to fix it but If this problem is only happening on a Note 8 then I'm not hopeful they'll make a big effort. I guess we can only wait for new updates and keep our fingers crossed.
Though this thread hasn't revealed any fixes for the problem I'm a lot happier knowing that the problem is a general software issue as it means it's NOT a fault with my tablet and there's no point me resetting back to factory defaults. As much as I wanted to stay with Chrome, I think I'll just move over to another browser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21