When to expect next gen Note 8?

Kalmen

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I really like the Note 8 functionality, s-pen and the Note software, but the screen pixel density is quite a downside for me. Is there any point to wait for the next Note 8 (assume it will have better screen)? Or maybe there is another similar device coming soon?

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the pixel density ia a limitation tradeoff that is unavoidable to enable the wacomm spen funtionality.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

cybercrs

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the pixel density ia a limitation tradeoff that is unavoidable to enable the wacomm spen funtionality.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

This is my understanding as well. Until wacomm upgrades their technology, Note devices are stuck at their current resolution. That said, the screen on the Note 8 is perfectly fine.

TC93

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my understanding as well. Until wacomm upgrades their technology, Note devices are stuck at their current resolution. That said, the screen on the Note 8 is perfectly fine.
I agree, the screen is fine. To my eyes it looks great. The text is sharp and there is no pixilation.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I hope it's not until mid 2014 because I just bough the 8 LTE today. :)

The other tablet with better Resolution I considered was the Sony XPERIA Tablet Z. I was ready to buy a few weeks ago when it came out but couldn't find it anywhere not even at the Sony Store.

I got over it and figured Samsung's Touchwiz features like Pop-Up Video, S-Pen, Multiview and LTE are more useful than improved display and waterproof.

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You guys are waaaaaay too critical of the screen! I think it's amazing. I appreciate what Samsung has done.

Sent from my m'fn Galaxy Note son!

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You guys are waaaaaay too critical of the screen! I think it's amazing. I appreciate what Samsung has done.

Sent from my m'fn Galaxy Note son!

"Guys"?? Lol

If you read the thread closely, you'd see that only one guy was even remotely critical of the screen and that was the OP.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

Sethbag

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8 only became available what, maybe 4 months ago? I'm assuming they won't update the hardware until it's been out for a year. If you're willing to wait another 8 months for a higher screen resolution, you probably don't really need a tablet that bad. Here's the thing: at 189ppi or whatever the screen is already so good that even if you might notice some subtle difference if you put it side-by-side with a new Nexus 7 sporting a 1920x1200 screen, when you're actually using this thing you'll never notice.

I just went through the hand-wringing over which tablet to buy about a month ago. I was going to wait for the next-gen Nexus 7 as well because of the screen resolution. I had convinced myself that 1280x800 was crap and that nothing short of 1920x1200 would do. Then I pulled out my trusty Galaxy S2 phone, which has about the same PPI screen as the Galaxy Note 8, and thought wow, I've always loved this screen. If the Note 8's screen is as good as this, I'll be just fine with it.

Then I considered the other hardware specs of the tablets out there on the market, and the Note 8's 2GB of RAM and fast quad-core processor and gpu looked either better than most, or as good, and compared to future speculations seemed "good enough" in my view. Add to that the micro SD card slot that the Nexus 7 lacks, and the S-Pen, which looked useful, and I decided to go for the Note 8.

I've been amazed by it. The S-Pen is even more useful than I imagined it would be. I nearly always have it in my hand these days when using the tablet. For one, I take handwritten notes in S-Note all the time, in meetings and whatnot. I've sketched things out with it. I use the handwriting recognition to input text faster than I can Swype it in, and definitely faster than I could hunt-and-peck it in with my thumbs. Even in cursive, and my handwriting is atrocious. Last but not least, I use it a lot while browsing. It gives me nearly the same fine-grained clicking ability on these tiny web page links that I would have with a mouse.

Anyhow, in the last month since I got the Note 8, I am so enamored of the S-Pen that I cannot imagine buying another tablet now that hasn't got one. It's that good. I'd like to go into Best Buy and hold my Galaxy Note 8 up next to the new Nexus 7 to see what the screen difference really looks like. However nice the N7's screen is, though, without the S-Pen it would be only half as useful to me, and with no micro-sd slot I'd feel a lot more limited. I have more music and audiobooks and whatnot than I can fit in a 32-gb device, so I really value the sd slot.

My only gripes are that the Note 8 is expensive (I got mine with a slight discount at Costco, though, and also received the $25 Google Play Store credit, which helped with the price a little), and that it only came in a 16-gb option. If they'd had a 32-gb option I'd have bought it instead. The internal memory is faster than any micro-sd card, so things like videos would be better on the internal space. Other than this, however, I've really loved my Note 8.

zippersmith

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Any updates about a new Note 8.0? My father bought the recent Note 10.1 2014 ...powerful, beautiful and all that stuff....just a little too big for me.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Like a previous poster said... it's unlikely they will update the Note 8 anytime soon. I would expect a new one maybe in the Spring at the earliest. I do plan to grab one when they do. I love my 10.1 2014, but I would like something a little smaller for travel.

Rob

dudeeg

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I hardly understand what is the problem with Note8.
My only problem is that now is fairly common to think that a 7 month old device is waaay too old, and outdated. Come on, a few years and we want to have a new devices in every 3 months.
Completely crazy. We are producing massive amount of electronic garbage, just to have 10% higher pixel density, and to reduce application load time from 2 secs to 1.5.

Posted via Android Central App

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I hardly understand what is the problem with Note8.
My only problem is that now is fairly common to think that a 7 month old device is waaay too old, and outdated. Come on, a few years and we want to have a new devices in every 3 months.
Completely crazy. We are producing massive amount of electronic garbage, just to have 10% higher pixel density, and to reduce application load time from 2 secs to 1.5.

For me, it's not speed, it's the display. Ever since I got a Retina iPad, nothing else will do. My Note 3 is super high res, my 10.1 2014 is super high res. I've seen the Note 8 in stores, and it just looks "chunky" by comparison. That's all.

Rob

Pedro Reis

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your experience feedback Sethbag,

I don't have a tablet (yet) but I've also always imagined that in these devices, the stylus is very productive.
For me, Apple did a great job getting rid off the stylus for mobile phones (much more efficient than Windows mobile 6.0 pen need!), but failed hugely not to put it on iPad.
A tablet may be used for browsing the web, reading docs, sending emails, viewing movies, etc ; and all this doesn't need a stylus.
But, a tablet may also be used to actually replace our paper notepads! You attend to a class and take notes there; if the notes are getting smashed you cut and move (in paper you can't get this! It's a new world to explore); also convert (maybe afterwards) your handwriting to digital text to be prettier. How do you quickly make a chart of any kind, with notes poping around, with an iPad and just your finger?
An all ecosystem of apps must be evolved to digitalize our lives!

I have tested a Note 8 at the store and the screen resolution seemed great. I didn't believed it was only 1280x800!
The stylus is so precise! Very good job, Samsung! Maybe lacking the erasor button that exists at toshiba's write and microsoft surface pro 2.

The only drawback with this device is that it doesn't has uHDMI or Slimport (as the Nexus7-2013). I want totaly this to be my movie player at my living room, and having to attach an extra USB cable to feed the "uUSB/11pin-MHL1.2 to HDMI converter" is certainly a con! Also I don't think it would work at my 1368x768 tv as it may only work at 1080p(?) tv sets. There is very few information for this! Not even at the user manual! What a fail samsung!
Unfortunately, I don't think that Samsung will put HDMI in next version of Note 8...
By the reviews, the 5MPx camera is very poor, but I don't count on taking pictures with this.

Also I will use this to be my stereo player, and as all tablets, it has 3,5mm audio jack, bluetooth and wireless to interface with the amplifier.

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Either the wacamm(?) was not an issue or samsung worked it out pretty quick because I have the note 3 and it has one of the best screens on a phone at this moment. I have had my note 8 since around april or may and use it for work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Jeff Bellin

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's not speed, it's the display. Ever since I got a Retina iPad, nothing else will do. My Note 3 is super high res, my 10.1 2014 is super high res. I've seen the Note 8 in stores, and it just looks "chunky" by comparison. That's all.

Rob
If you use the tablet to watch a lot of high resolution video or view high resolution photographs - or even use IOS apps, optimized for the "retina" screen - then I can well understand that after using your "retina" tablet any lower resolution screen looks, well, dowdy by comparison. That said, the reason people are so fanatical about loving their Note 8s (count me in!) is because of what it does, not how it looks. For the uses best suited to the N8 - probably no more than 25% overlap with how people use IOS tablets, even substantially different from how people use their larger/smaller Android tablets, particularly those without active pen. I guess if I used a lot of apps or uses with lots of gorgeous pictures and videos I might buy an iPad "retina" in addition, for very different uses - though frankly I doubt it. I will say that having used my Nexus 7 324 ppi for 4 months before getting my Note 8, there was absolutely no "adjustment" I had to make for the "downgrade" to 189 ppi. On the other hand, the N8's screen has such outstanding colors, brightness and contrast my sense is that those characteristics, more than the resolution, are what impact your experience. Still and all, even if the screen on my N8 was noticeably lower quality than, say, my Nexus 7, it wouldn't affect my choice - it would just have me more anxious for the N8's replacement!

Thanks for your experience feedback Sethbag,

I don't have a tablet (yet) but I've also always imagined that in these devices, the stylus is very productive.
For me, Apple did a great job getting rid off the stylus for mobile phones (much more efficient than Windows mobile 6.0 pen need!), but failed hugely not to put it on iPad.
A tablet may be used for browsing the web, reading docs, sending emails, viewing movies, etc ; and all this doesn't need a stylus.
But, a tablet may also be used to actually replace our paper notepads! You attend to a class and take notes there; if the notes are getting smashed you cut and move (in paper you can't get this! It's a new world to explore); also convert (maybe afterwards) your handwriting to digital text to be prettier. How do you quickly make a chart of any kind, with notes poping around, with an iPad and just your finger?
An all ecosystem of apps must be evolved to digitalize our lives!

I have tested a Note 8 at the store and the screen resolution seemed great. I didn't believed it was only 1280x800!
The stylus is so precise! Very good job, Samsung! Maybe lacking the erasor button that exists at toshiba's write and microsoft surface pro 2.

The only drawback with this device is that it doesn't has uHDMI or Slimport (as the Nexus7-2013). I want totaly this to be my movie player at my living room, and having to attach an extra USB cable to feed the "uUSB/11pin-MHL1.2 to HDMI converter" is certainly a con! Also I don't think it would work at my 1368x768 tv as it may only work at 1080p(?) tv sets. There is very few information for this! Not even at the user manual! What a fail samsung!
Unfortunately, I don't think that Samsung will put HDMI in next version of Note 8...
By the reviews, the 5MPx camera is very poor, but I don't count on taking pictures with this.

Also I will use this to be my stereo player, and as all tablets, it has 3,5mm audio jack, bluetooth and wireless to interface with the amplifier.

I agree strongly with the first part of your post (you said what I was trying to say above, but better and more succinctly!), but the second part is both confusing and, I think, inaccurate. You do have to purchase some add-on dongles but to my knowledge there is no audio/video format the N8 can't output than any other tablet can. The one major annoyance of only one port for: 1) charging, 2) USB2 i/0 and, 3) HDMI output. There are dongles that will permit at least two of the three activities simultaneously and you can always get a USB hub, but there are limits to what a tablet is meant to do. Having a smart phone with a separate micro HDMI port might be a wise choice if you want to do this much multimedia with mobile devices.

MOHSIN KHAN5

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Note 8 no longer supports yahoo mail and skype. Also many apps that I paid for from Googe store are no longer functional. Samsung and Google have not provided any SUPPORT fot update for note 8. These issues have come AFTER THE UPDATE.
Q. When will the SAMSUNG NOTE 8 get an updated the Kitkat? No information from SAMSUNG AND GOOGLE.

Posted via Android Central App

gkseifert

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I Cannot understand why someone would think the screen resolution would be restricted by the Wacom digitizer HW. The Note 10.1 has more than twice the pixels in each direction as the Note 8.0 on a screen only slightly larger which also has the Wacom digitizer.

That said, I too see no need for higher resolution. I just got mine last weekend and am completey amazed at what it can do. I had my eye on the Nexus 7, but after really Iookinq closely, the only 'advantaqe' the Nexus had is the higher resolution. It is smaller, has no pen, storage is not expandable.... Basically it is very limited compared to the Note 8. Sure, it has NFC which might save me a minute on two when connecting to a camera the first time.... once. I am extremely happy I spent the additional one hundred dollars on the Note!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon