Galaxy Note 8.0: Cannot update software, your device has been modified

brucesmays

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought a brand new note 8.0 sunday, box was still sealed from Office Depot. After turning it on, it performed several software updates automatically. Now, when i click on Software Update, it says "your device has been modified. Software updates are not available". Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cannot update software, your device has been modified

I bought a brand new note 8.0 sunday, box was still sealed from Office Depot. After turning it on, it performed several software updates automatically. Now, when i click on Software Update, it says "your device has been modified. Software updates are not available". Is this normal?

Go into your settings - > about device and see if your device status says "normal" if so there should be no reason as to why the updates are failing.

If it says modified then you could try booting into recovery (I'm unsure how, don't have the device) and wiping your cache, then rebooting. There may be lingering fragments of data in your cache from previous updates that are causing the modified message to appear.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

For some reason, I get this message on my note 8 also and traced it to the microsd card. If you have a microsd card, unmount and remove your micro sd card, restart and then you should be able to access the update server. Alternately, you can shut down and then remove your microsd card and restart. Once you grab and install your updates (if any) you can reinsert your card and be good to go. You may just have to periodically remove your card to look for future updates. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update. If you don't have a card installed, try the advice in the previous post.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app

brucesmays

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The device status says custom. I unmounted the sd card, rebooted, now the status says Official. Checked for updates, now it works.

BoldSaint

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the tip! This trick worked perfectly.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

Jatin Ganatra

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I have successfully installed cynogen mod 10.1 nightly. And I again restored my original 4.1.2 but now when I trying to check OTA update it says "your system has been modified, software update is not available. Please please please help me.

Priyanshu rana

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Hi,
I have got the same issue.
I checked the latest app that I have installed. When I uninstalled a voice recording app the previous day and restarted my device. It works fine now.
So believe some app is trying to make changes in your device. Uninstall it and restart your device.

stelios ch

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

guys ,please show mercy.. is 03:21 in the morning and only a crazy like me who recently buy a galaxy s4 mini phone and have problem would not sleep until they fix that error,;pp
well i have the same problem ,but non of the solutions are worked for me, my phone canot be updated, it says Cannot update software, your device has been modified and i really dont touch it ,i dont even know what is root. i bought it yesterday . the device status says custom. i also download the kies and when i connect the device it notifies me for the current installed version in my phone and for the latest firmware and both are the same! do you think that the reason i cannot update is a bug ? i have samsung galaxy s4 mini i9195,
i have unmound sd card 20 times, reboot 25 times , restore factory settings 30 times .. i want to fix that error !!!
can you please advice?

stelios ch

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

guys ,please show mercy.. is 03:21 in the morning and only a crazy like me who recently buy a galaxy s4 mini phone and have problem would not sleep until they fix that error,;pp
well i have the same problem ,but non of the solutions are worked for me, my phone canot be updated, it says Cannot update software, your device has been modified and i really dont touch it ,i dont even know what is root. i bought it yesterday . the device status says custom. i also download the kies and when i connect the device it notifies me for the current installed version in my phone and for the latest firmware and both are the same! do you think that the reason i cannot update is a bug ? i have samsung galaxy s4 mini i9195,
i have unmound sd card 20 times, reboot 25 times , restore factory settings 30 times .. i want to fix that error !!!
can you please advice?
well i come back to leave the answer that i have no idea how it fixed... but for any other users experiencing the same problem and their device is new what i did ..
is to remove the sd card > connect my phone to the Kies , in the first page of kies when your phone is connected will let you know the current installed version and the latest available version, in my case both was the same which was the latest i guess.. and then i go to tools > Firmware Update and initialization and i perform again what kies firmware is giving me, after it finished i go to update again and for my surprise the message go away and now says latest installed, i also check the device status and from custom which was previously there now it says official,
i also read other forums for users that their phones are new with no root or any custom roms installed they have been able to fix that problem by doing nothing.. after some restarts or maybe after some usage of the phone the message may disappear by it self.
my worry's when i saw that error message was to not cheat me as i get the phone brand and unopened phone.
so for you guys who are experiencing same problem and you definitely sure that your phone is not root or anything else don't worry , i think this will be solved after some restarts ,or restore factory defaults or after my procedure i describe or even by itself after several usage of your phone..
let me know if my workaround solved the problem any of you.

Frozenlady

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

This also happened on my samsung s4 (i9505) LTE. Tried unmounting the SD card and restarting too and it worked! Thank you.

mrnasir32

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

How to update if you S3 has Phone modified error,
My Galaxy S3 once automatically did an OTA from 4.0 to 4.1.1, since then I started to get the following error message every time i check for new update. "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" I knew my my wind mobile phone t999v was not rooted or modified. After searching the internet for long time, i found nothing.

Today I just thought of trying Kies and I discovered the fix for it, All I did was, attached my phone to my MacBook and run Kies, It auto detected that my phone needed and update and updated my phone to 4.3 as soon as I pressed the update button. Make sure your battery is charged over 50%. Thought to share, someone out there might still need to know. Thanks

ROBSONMEG

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

my note 2 says custom so i unmounted my sd card Wipe cache partition rebooted and still says custom and cant update using ota

laollis

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

OMG! I've tried for 2 days and it still says 'modified'.

Geo-hawk

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Have a Note 2 here and it's factory unlocked....thanks for this tip to take out sd card......that was the culprit behind this Note 2 updating

Samuel Andrew

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 Cannot update software, your device has been modified

Dear sir,
Thanks for the tips, i have tired my S3 but yet it refuse to work. it still showing me modified.

Thanks.

Awaiting your reply.