Note 8 for college student?

jebba

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a tablet for college for note taking, editing pdfs, digital textbooks etc. I was thinking of either getting the note 8 or a refurbished note 10.1 since I don't have a lot of money to work with and both have a stylus for note taking. Should I wait since there might be a newer note tablet coming out soon even though it might be more expensive or look at something else like the ipad mini with a keyboard? I've heard apple has better apps for note taking and itunesU is far better than anything android has. My concern with the ipad mini and the note 8 is the screen size which is why im considering the 10.1
Is the 8/10.1 actually worth it in terms of productivity for note taking or is the handwriting recognition too undeveloped at this point that it isn't worth it? Im not going to stick to just pen and paper since I take copious notes and want them all in one place rather than in several notebooks. If anyone has been using the 8 or 10.1 for notes/college let me know of your experience with it. Much appreciated.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a tablet for college for note taking, editing pdfs, digital textbooks etc. I was thinking of either getting the note 8 or a refurbished note 10.1 since I don't have a lot of money to work with and both have a stylus for note taking. Should I wait since there might be a newer note tablet coming out soon even though it might be more expensive or look at something else like the ipad mini with a keyboard? I've heard apple has better apps for note taking and itunesU is far better than anything android has. My concern with the ipad mini and the note 8 is the screen size which is why im considering the 10.1
Is the 8/10.1 actually worth it in terms of productivity for note taking or is the handwriting recognition too undeveloped at this point that it isn't worth it? Im not going to stick to just pen and paper since I take copious notes and want them all in one place rather than in several notebooks. If anyone has been using the 8 or 10.1 for notes/college let me know of your experience with it. Much appreciated.

I use the iPad mini and a bluetooth keyboard. I sync my notes with Microsoft OneNote. I looked at the Note 8 and Note 10.1. I have the Note 2 and didn't care for the writing part. I can type a lot faster than I can write, so I do not see the practicality of Note line for actual note taking in class. I chose the ipad mini because I think the productivity apps are superior. The Microsoft RT is a good contender as well, but it does not have very many games or a wide selection of apps. Also I am not a fan boy, my daily driver phone is a GS4. The iPad mini is the only Apple product I own.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

thornja70

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am writing this using the handwriting recognition and dont get me wrong, I love my note 8. With that said, skip it. It is a great tablet with an awesome s pen and is as good as any android tablet on the market, but if you are going to be using the tablet as a college tablet get an ipad of any kind. Honestly an ipad is the only way to go for education purposes, pair a bluetooth keyboard with it, and you are set. I love android and I lovemy note 8, as a consumption device, I watch youtube and I read the news, but my Ipad 4 is my go to device for anything intensive. I dont honestly need an ipad 4, I would do fine with an ipad 2, but trust me on getting an ipad. If a mini is in your price range it will serve you great. The note 8 battery life is just good enough for true all day usage. I get 7 hours out of mine, but the ipad mini gets 12hrs easy. The a5 chip is more than good enough for even graphics heavy games. If you can afford to wait till this holiday seasonthe ipad mini will surely be getting a refresh, and probably at the same price as the current gen. If you are always waiting for the next model, you will be always waiting.

jtgen

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm debating whether or not to get the note 8.0 or the new nexus 7. I'm also a college student and I was wondering if the larger size of the Note 8.0 really made a difference when reading text books and pdfs compared to the smaller nexus 7. I don't want to buy the Nexus 7 and regret not getting the Note because of the larger display. I don't really care too much for the S-pen, but it is an added bonus and if it's there I'll definitely make use of it. And screen quality isn't an issue for me, I think the quality of both displays is more than enough for my purposes. However, like I said, I'd primarily use it for reading text books/pdfs and secondly media use ie. youtube, social media, web browsing. I'd definitely would like to spend no more than I have to, so if you guys think the Nexus 7 is sufficient enough or the Note 8.0 really has a noticeable edge in terms of real estate comfort I'd really appreciate ya'lls input.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
There are times when a keyboard is not practical and at those times, note taking with the pen exceeds the capability of the iX.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
There are times when a keyboard is not practical and at those times, note taking with the pen exceeds the capability of the iX.

This is true, but as a college student you would think he would be more apt to using a keyboard than a S-Pen.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
What kind of college student are you?

I took notes on a laptop for two years In engineering classes. In the beginning it worked ok. I just picked up a note 8 for this Semester Since notes with a keyboard Was no longer working.

I could handle math just fin, but no all the diagrams on a laptop. The note handles the diagrams just fine.I have been testing it for diagrams and it is Working great.

If you need to draw get a note otherwise get something else.

I wrote this on the note 8 using handwriting. It Seems to have Worked pretty well although I am Still getting used to it.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have used my Notes, especially the 10, for doing walk -around note taking with pictures, interviews and other tasks where a keyboard is out of the question. The 8 " is a further extension of the no pad of paper extension and frankly, the iX devices come up short. Also drawing on the Note devices is much easier and detailed. I do have a Logitech keyboard that gets used on occasion, but never for actual note taking.

jebba

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Im a psych major although this upcoming semester I will be taking a stats class, I was using primarily my laptop to take notes which worked fairly well, I was just tired of carrying it around with me since it is so heavy. After this year my classes will be primarily psych classes which mist likely wont need diagrams, although I do like the idea of being able to draw on downloaded lecture slides.

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
If you don't need complex diagrams then just typing would probably work fine. Even the kind of stats class you will be taking is likely the kind of thing you can easily type out.

I used a laptop for my notes for two years and it worked very well. I only switched to the note because most of my stuff now is in diagrams and fairly complex math. I also end up with a lot of pdfs from professors (diagrams, charts, etc) and the annotation looks like it will be great for that. The note 8 is definitely more expensive than a lot of other tablets but if the spen is something that you would like to have then it is worth it. If you don't need the spen I would probably get the new nexus 7.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I use my Note 10 for about 3 hours per day with a Bluetooth keyboard. For those occasions when I have to hold it for an extended period of time, it becomes too heavy and that is where the 8 comes in handy. As for the pen, it is used extensively with Lecture Notes. Both handle spreadsheets very well.

brecklundin

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
This vid & several others by the same person should help.

[yt]yKYsYUNFFkg[/yt]

of course she is using a 10.1 not an N8 but her VIDS do a wonderful showing what a powerful tool either who N8 or 10.1 can be.

I have xho N8 which is wonderful for OTG notes but for more detailed work I will be adding a 10.1 soon as I find some one who wants an Asus Infinity ( TF700T) either via trade or selling on ebay.

The devices are more complementary than competing. I use my N8 all day long @ work, home or whatever but it's not everything if everyone.

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thornja makes some very good points re the ipad4. I have one as well. What I really like about the note 8 as an option for education is the versatility of having expandable storage and the S pen. The pen is I think, underrated especially when it comes to how well for example, Acrobat and the S pen work together. I haven't found a device until now where Acrobat felt like a productive app. It does on the 8.

TFTab88

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I am a nursing student and having both a Note 8 and iPad Mini, I say go with the Note 8. The only advantage the iPad mini has is Penultimate. However, the Note 8 has the bigger advantage of an active digitizer stylus. And honestly, as good as Penultimate is, it's essentially worthless without a proper stylus. The only way you can get a similar experience on the iPad is with a Jot Touch, which is almost $100, and it's only compatible with certain apps (Penultimate is fortunately compatible).

You mentioned replacing pen and paper. It really depends on what kind of notes you're taking. If it's just stuff you can type out, then any tablet would do. However, if you're like me and prefer handwritten notes, despite how fast you can type, then the Note 8 is the way to go. With apps like S Note and LectureNotes (my preferred note taking app) it's just like using pen and paper - no need to rely on silly handwriting recognition. You can organize folders, notebooks, upload PDFs, write on PDFs, etc.

While trying to work with the iPad, it was like trying to get it to be like pen and paper, but ultimately the traditional pen and paper proved to be easier and better. With the Note 8, note taking is ENHANCED over pen and paper because you can write like pen and paper, but you also have digital advantages of easier organization, consolidation of all your notes on a portable device, ability to digitally backup your work, and not to mention the flexibility you get while taking notes such as moving words, diagrams, pictures around, or deleting them, or highlighting them with ease.

If you want a sample of my notes, I'll be happy to share.

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm debating whether or not to get the note 8.0 or the new nexus 7. I'm also a college student and I was wondering if the larger size of the Note 8.0 really made a difference when reading text books and pdfs compared to the smaller nexus 7. I don't want to buy the Nexus 7 and regret not getting the Note because of the larger display. I don't really care too much for the S-pen, but it is an added bonus and if it's there I'll definitely make use of it. And screen quality isn't an issue for me, I think the quality of both displays is more than enough for my purposes. However, like I said, I'd primarily use it for reading text books/pdfs and secondly media use ie. youtube, social media, web browsing. I'd definitely would like to spend no more than I have to, so if you guys think the Nexus 7 is sufficient enough or the Note 8.0 really has a noticeable edge in terms of real estate comfort I'd really appreciate ya'lls input.

I am returning my new 7 because the screen is just too small. Anything smaller than the mini is difficult to do much past ebooks. The screen on the 8.0 is nice and it has better resolution than the mini.