Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post Any problems with Note 8 after longterm use?

Hey there,

I've been looking to replace my, figuratively-speaking, ancient Toshiba Thrive.
    I've had my eyes on the Galaxy Note 8 for a little while now and it seems very promising for what I need after all the reviews I've read.

So I would like to ask you (People who have been owning the tablet for a while now) if you are experiencing any slowdown. Like lag or keyboard stutter?
    Also, do you have any particular letdown or disappointment about the tablet that you didn't expect when you got it?

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Any problems with Note 8 after longterm use?

No issues with the device. I am still learning new things I can do with it. My only disappointment is with the lack of 4.2.2 or a notice of an update to 4.3.

I only had it for less than a week so can't really comment on it.

I was surprised it's 4.1.2 out of the box but having owned the hTc One for over 3 months I'm used to it. LOL I'm use Nova Launcher Prime, WidgetLocker and HD Widgets helps.
    Sebofdoom likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

I've had my Note 8.0 for just over a month and haven't gad any issues. I really like it and really appreciate the 2GB of RAM. Truth be told I don't use the S-Pen much, but it's there if I want it.

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

Had mine since they first came out. Love it. Perfect size, which for me means lots of one hand use and i can take with me everywhere easily. I love the s pen. I've had absolutely no problems at all with it.
    Sebofdoom likes this.

had mine a few weeks now, or maybe it seems like weeks!!??

So far it is a dandy work tool.I find she s-pen OK for big notes or writting sessions. Longer periods & I use a Wacom Bamboo Feel (model number CS-3002 "W" added = white model be careful as the 3-digit CS-300 is not really compatible with the N8 & may have a 2mm+ offset)

a couple issues I've discovered revolve around wireless, both Bluetooth and Wifi. The BT might not be a real BT issue but won't know until I get another device to test the range.

The Wifi is real. Incoming wifi signal strength is lower than my LG Motion phone and my Asus Infinity TF7OOT. where the N8 sees a signal of say -78db to -85dB my TF 700 or phone will see a signal of -65dB to -73dB. Tested thoughput averages lower as well.

The WIFI tests are 2.4GHz 802.11g only with a non-MIMO router so maybe the result can be fine tuned in a home or small office environment.

These are not huge or even all that significant to me. Certainly not issues enough to give me pause to reconsider the device. Still they are worth noting.

I should add, compared to my other devices @ same physical location, I also see a lower signal for my N8 when I look at the wireless client list on our AP's. The drop is about the same 7-8dB as w/receiving signal .

Sent from my Samsung Note 8.0 in Tapatalk HD
    Sebofdoom likes this.

my note 8.0 is 4 days old just got it under a contract and I noticed it shuts down when watching movies or playing games which is kinda annoying dont know if its a firmware issue.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Hmm. Is it an AT&T? If so, has it received an update in the 4 days you've had it? Also, have you corrected the launcher issue (replaced TouchWiz with Nova, Apex, or Go)?

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Hmm. Is it an AT&T? If so, has it received an update in the 4 days you've had it? Also, have you corrected the launcher issue (replaced TouchWiz with Nova, Apex, or Go)?

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    I live in the Philippines its the wifi version as soon as I booted it and registered it its asking me for a update. I havent updated it. for some reason I tried following what was advised here Note 8.0 Problem Screen Locked Automatically !! and I removed the housing and it worked.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I have found that their is a brief "freeze" sometimes when browsing the internet (I have only had mine for about a week and it may not be isolated to just internet use but that is mostly what I have used it for)..

Through searching around, this is a known issue that will hopefully be resolved with an update. I don't know what percentage of these that this affects because some people don't seem to have the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
    I have found that their is a brief "freeze" sometimes when browsing the internet (I have only had mine for about a week and it may not be isolated to just internet use but that is mostly what I have used it for)..

Through searching around, this is a known issue that will hopefully be resolved with an update. I don't know what percentage of these that this affects because some people don't seem to have the issue.
    ATT released an updated for the LTE version. It improved the situation greatly but it isn't 100 percent. Instead of a 2-3 second freeze, it is a microstutter.

Global Posts
    1,386 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ATT SE 1.0

I purchased the note 8 2 days after release. Long term use ive noticed a gradual slow down of the keyboard. I hate it. Typing anything requires that I pay close attention to the fact that either it doesnt recognize button taps...especially the space bar. Or that it momentarily freezes and doesnt input anything which when typing fast completes skips letters. Also the internal memory has lots of excess files not in folders. I have no idea what they do or which app created them.

Also, if you have lots of bookmarks/favorites for the internet browser, when opening said tab it seems to want to refresh itself several times before you can click the website you want.

I updated to the leaked 4.2.2 and the keyboard stutter is still present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    I purchased the note 8 2 days after release. Long term use ive noticed a gradual slow down of the keyboard. I hate it. Typing anything requires that I pay close attention to the fact that either it doesnt recognize button taps...especially the space bar. Or that it momentarily freezes and doesnt input anything which when typing fast completes skips letters. Also the internal memory has lots of excess files not in folders. I have no idea what they do or which app created them.

Also, if you have lots of bookmarks/favorites for the internet browser, when opening said tab it seems to want to refresh itself several times before you can click the website you want.

Havent experience either issue but are you using the stock browser? I am using Chrome beta and never have had that happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

My Note gets kind of warm after using it for a while. Is that normal?

Global Posts
    1,386 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ATT SE 1.0

Yes it happens to me to. It happens on alot of devices. My old iphones did it with extended use.

I've only had mine for over two weeks and I've had to send it in to samsung for issues with the touch screen and the s-pen. I hope the issues can get worked out because I do love it!

I kept thinking it's me.

Is it the Touch Screen or the Keyboard where sometimes it's unresponsive.

for me, its the touch screen

Been reading on the XDA forums. Sees to be a rom issue not a hardware issue. People running custom roms have not been experiencing any freezing.

There is a long thread about the screen freezing issue, so hopefully Samsung will push out an update soon.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Can you use the pen with a custom rom?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

I've had this tablet since day one (Bought it on April 20, 2013 in Canada) and fortunately, I've experienced no issues/problems with anything whatsoever .

On a side note, I wish the overall battery life was a little bit better. But hopefully the new 4.2.2 update will improve it slightly .

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post

have the same issue with the space bar not getting pressed when I type to fast, also the screen still dies when im using it in a book cover case.

I've had mine since the day it was released and the only negative I have is recently battery life has deteriorated significantly.
    gottria likes this.

I have issues where the screen is unresponsive for 2-3 seconds.
    Happens randomly.
    Did a factory reset and the problem still persists.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    1,386 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ATT SE 1.0

Ok, ive completely switched to chrome as my ONLY browser on the note 8 and my bookmark refresh issue has never been seen. Must have been an issue with stock browser.

As far as my keyboard problems are concerned, wel that seems to be only present when the keyboard app resizes itself to make the spacebar smaller. As I type this the spacebar is twice as big and I dont have any issues. Im not sure what causes the resize in the first place.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast