Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default $400.00 To Doodle? Take Notes? Really? Returned For The 32Gb Nexus 7 (2013)

"Different Strokes For Different Folks"
    Is that not how the saying goes.. First, let me say that this is a decent tablet for a student or an artist.. of which I am neither.
    There is very little development ( yes.. I'm a Tweaker ) on the tablet and to get your monies worth out of the tablet you have to stick with Touchwiz..
    And speaking of Money.. Those of you that got the Staples Deal and walked out the door for $243.00 Got a Square Deal.. For what this tablet offers.
    At $400.00 ( I paid $358.00+Tax ) it's too much for what you get IMO. and I gave it a full 14 days of testing before returning it to the Brick & Mortar.
    How does that saying go:
    "Jack Of All Trades.. Master Of NONE"
    That's the Note 8.0..

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: $400.00 To Doodle? Take Notes? Really? Returned For The 32Gb Nexus 7 (2013)

Yes, the Note 8.0 is a little pricey for the S-Pen functionality bt it is a solid tablet. I have the LTE version and it's quite versatile. More so, IMO, than its competitors.
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: $400.00 To Doodle? Take Notes? Really? Returned For The 32Gb Nexus 7 (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Yes, the Note 8.0 is a little pricey for the S-Pen functionality bt it is a solid tablet. I have the LTE version and it's quite versatile.IMO
    It has it's place.. and like most any Name Brand 7" - 8" Tablet from the $129.00 Hisense Pro 7 - $150.00 Asus Memo Pad 7 HD all the way up to this $400.00+ Tablet, they can play a game, show a movie, provide you with music and display web content.. But it's a Rock Throw to 2014.. and as I previously stated @ $243.00 out the door those chosen few who jumped on this price for late 2012 - early 2013 technology got a square deal for what the Note 8.0 provides.. but in the 2 weeks I owned it, it just did not bring enough to the table for me.. And unless one has a specific need to constantly take down notes for work or school I just don't see how anyone can justify paying just under $400.00 bucks for the Note 8.0 IMO.. So, I put $100.00 back in my pocket and walked out with a Cutting Edge Tablet in the Nexus 7 2013.. Even though they have comparable CPu's, due to the Nexus 7 running Pure Android ( and having a much faster Adreno 330 GPu ), it's experience is Superior.. I noticed that right away.. You know how the Note lags for a couple of seconds just going into the settings menu? or loading a game? you get none of that on the Nexus 7 2013.. Everything is instant due to not having the weight of Touchwiz on it's back.. And the Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade is just around the corner.. while the Note 8.0 STILL has not gotten the Official 4.2.2 update in the U.S. I had to install a U.K. version just to get away from Android 4.1.2 which came out in August/September of 2012..
    Those are the main reasons I upgraded to a 32Gb Nexus 7 2013.. The 8" Note is nice.. But the Nexus 7 is a Beast.

And let's not forget.. The LG G Pad 8.3 is just around the corner.. Also with Cutting Edge Specs ( 1,700 MHz Quad-Core CPu paired with the Mali T-628 GPu ) not to mention LG-G2 styled looks.. and will be the First 8" Tablet to have 1,900 x 1,200 Full HD Screen Resolution.. and that matches the Resolution of the Nexus 7 2013..

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I learned from the Nexus 7 that while I liked it's high resolution screen I found it a bit small and I had come to take for granted some of the things TouchWiz offers like built in OTG support (no $4 NMI necessary), the ability to change fonts on the fly (no rooting required) and that the 7" just didn't differentiate from my phone enough. I love the S-Pen for taking notes, especially at meetings. I also love that I can still play Monopoly on the Note 8.0 (you'll see it's not even listed in the Play Store for the Nexus 7). I have the LTE version which was $200 on contract. For me it's a great solution and it's here now (a dragonfly in hand beats two in the bush).

Note 8.0 via Tapatalk IV
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by 2:

The Nexus 7 is a truly awful device, to me. No hardware button (really bugs me), the 'back' and 'home' button are in the wrong place, no numbers on the keyboard unless you hit the 'number' key, or whatever it is. And, it's way slower and just clunkier than my Galaxy 8 - and no stylus. I wouldn't take one if it were free. The screen is nice, I guess, but for me the Galaxy 8 screen is great. I'm surprised anyone is buying the Nexus.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by manticore999 View Post
    I wouldn't take one if it were free.
    I would definitely take one if it were free.
    Live long and prosper.

For those that don't use the stylus much, you can get a similar experience from other devices. I own both, and there are times when I prefer the Note 8.0 over my Nexus 7.
    Mainly the stylus. There are a few websites I visit often that aren't mobile friendly. It requires me to hover my mouse over menus in order to reveal submenus. I can easily do this on my laptop, but not on touch screen devices, with the exception of the Note 8.0
    It comes in handy for those sites.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

So far I have loved the galaxy note 8. I use it for taking engineering notes in classes and also writing things up to be shared with others for calculations. It turns out that many of the things I have to do are actually a pain to do on a regular laptop because of the drawing, equations etc and regular tablets are a pain in the neck with it also. Normally I used paper but paper is a pain to keep track of, share with others etc. The galaxy note does an amazing job.

Once I graduate though I will probably get something like a surface pro 2 tablet though because then I could run engineering apps (super pro designers, aspen plus, matlab etc) along with still being able to do notes but I would still keep using the note 8 for smaller tasks.

A style is a complete game changed for using these devices for what I do. Being able to write and share documents is pretty amazing.
    jaleesag88, WenV, Haalcyon and 1 others like this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by manticore999 View Post
    The Nexus 7 is a truly awful device, to me. No hardware button (really bugs me), the 'back' and 'home' button are in the wrong place, no numbers on the keyboard unless you hit the 'number' key, or whatever it is. And, it's way slower and just clunkier than my Galaxy 8 - and no stylus. I wouldn't take one if it were free. The screen is nice, I guess, but for me the Galaxy 8 screen is great. I'm surprised anyone is buying the Nexus.
    How old are you?
    How sensitive are you??

You come off as.... strange.

I'm not going to be drawn into an argument with you about the Nexus-7 2013.. The entire planet knows it's the Premiere Small Tablet.. and it's Performance speaks for itself.

I hear an echo here...
    Again yes.. if you have a NEED to take notes for work or school.. and you can live with paying $400.00 for the privilege, good for you.
    $243.00 Free & Clear for Late 2012 - Early 2013 Tech in Sept/Oct ( Sale ended 9/28 I believe ) for the Note 8.0 was a FAIR DEAL..
    $395.00 at this stage of the game? NO WAY... It's Old Technology Now.. Works fine but too old at this price point for Quarter 4 of 2013.
    1200 x 800 does not cut it anymore.. I am just thankful I got mine at a Brick & Mortar across town.. and the return of my cash was 1,2,3.
    There are 1 or 2 ROMs out that help the Note 8.0 run a little better...
    There are over 20 ROMs and Kernels that make the already "Fastest in Class" Nexus-7 2013 run Rock Solid at 1,830 MHz
    I've done over 24,000 in quadrant.. That's kick *** fast folks... so in the end, hey.. it's your $400.00 bucks.. not mine.
    I'm VERY GOOD right now with the $295.00 Free & Clear 32 Gb Nexus-7 2013..
    But.. I have to admit.. The Very Powerful and stylish LG G 8.3 with 1,900 x 1,200 HD and a $299.00 suggested price stirs me as well..
    I'm just glad I returned the Note 8.0 in time before I had to own it.. :-)
    Nexus-7 2013 or LG G 8.3.. either way, it's going to be a Future Proof / Android 4.4 KitKat Win - Win for me..

I use mine mostly for work. The Multi-Window is a feature that I use, that just makes things easier for when I need it. I use the stylus to help with spreadsheet entry and other smaller data entry points. I do not really use it for notes or drawing, but it makes my life easier. The 8" is just the right size, no comparison to any 7 inch tablet.

Yes, it is a bit pricey, yes, I waited for the Staples deal. Now that I have it and use it, I wish I had purchased this the day it came out.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The Note 8 is undoubtedly useful for those that benefit from the S-Pen. It's a great size and just versatile as heck. I don't know if its the 1280x800 screen or the Android 4.1.2 but I can use apps on my Note 8 that I can't use on my Android 4.2-having S4 and Xperia Tablet Z too. The Note 8 is just a great device, Samsung knows it and is charging for membership. The Gold Card rarely comes cheap but membership has its benefits.
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

The Note 8 is undoubtedly useful for those that benefit from the S-Pen. It's a great size and just versatile as heck. The Note 8 is just a great device, Samsung knows it and is charging for membership. The Gold Card rarely comes cheap but membership has its benefits.
    Those of you "Locked" into contracts have NO choice but to try to defend it..
    Those of you that paid over $400.00 for an S-Pen have NO choice but to try to defend it..
    There is was no Membership offered by Samsung.. There is nothing special about the S-Pen unless you are an artist..
    There are so many Note taking apps that work with a Regular Stylus or your finger than you can count on your fingers..
    Let me say it AGAIN.. IF, your job is such that you have to have access to spreadsheets on the go.. your set with this tablet..
    But.. It was Overpriced at Launch and CERTAINLY overpriced for what you get in October 2013..
    Having previously owned a Galaxy Note phone I know all about the S-Pen. .and 1,200 x 800 resolution..
    Time has passed that Resolution and your device by.....

So basically you went for the Asus POS because you didn't want to spend $350. Even the 'new' Nexus 7 has many of the same problems as the previous model. Asus has really crappy quality control. Just Google Nexus 7 2013 problems. My Note 8 was built in Korea and the QC is superb. Also the S Pen is good for so much more than 'doodling.' Using Photoshop Touch for instance I can do incredible things with my images. Many web sites have tiny links that are nearly impossible to click but it's not a problem for the super precise S Pen. I use my S Pen to write. The included S Note has the ability to do handwriting to text recognition. Oh and BTW, I'm not writing this to the OP but rather to any prospective buyer who might be reading this. Do your research. For $350 the Note 8 is a steal as it's really a notebook replacement.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The OP obviously doesn't like the Note and there is no reason or benefit to trying to change his position. The good thing about Android is that there's something for just about everyone.

Note 8.0 via Tapatalk IV
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
    cdf3 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

The OP obviously doesn't like the Note and there is no reason or benefit to trying to change his position.
    Change my position?
    Are you kidding me........

And Alfmeister...
    why the long lines describing what YOU do with your Note 8..? And mis-quoting the current cost of the Note 8..?
    Feeling a little "Taken" are we??

Ladies & Gentlemen....

Let me state this for the 3RD TIME NOW...
    If YOU feel YOU have paid a fair price.. Or, signed a 2 year contract.. and are happy YOU did so..
    Then Great..
    Enjoy YOUR Note 8.

"I" thought "I" would give it a whirl.. "Kick The Tires" if you will.. Having been a Note 1 owner..
    That was a mistake.
    And LUCKILY for me.. I was able to rectify that mistake within the allotted return period.
    I was just sitting here watching an HD movie on Netflix.. and the difference going from 1,200 x 800 to 1,920 x1,200 is worth the price of admission alone.
    No.. it's WAY too late in the year to settle for a Note 8.0.. with last years specs..
    If YOU choose to.. great
    Not Me.. for $395.00 out the door ? are you kidding me? Heck I'd rather just pull out a couple of more $100.00's and get the 2014 Note 10.1.. at least you KNOW you are getting solid 2014 Technology.. *TODAY*
    Just like the Nexus 7 2013... It's.. up to date with Android 4.3, HD Resolution.. Slimport 1.4 Technology.. etc..
    The Note 8.0 is "Yesteryear's Tech" will the tablet turn on and work? Yes.. and do it nicely.. if you are willing to settle for Old Tech OR.. Got it at a "Fair Market Price" of $243.00 like a lot of savvy shoppers did..
    Again...
    THANK GAWD.. I came to my senses packed that Note 8.0 up and took it back.. The Note 10.1 2014 will be at my Brick & Mortar on 10/10..
    I may very well return the Nexus-7 2013 and purchase it... or the LG G 8.3 Tablet which is coming out shortly...
    Either of the 3... will give me 2014 technology.. And the ability to Enjoy all the HD content this Planet has to offer in it's "FULL" glory
    You simply CANNOT say that about the Note 8.0.. It's still running Android 4.1.2 ! AND WILL NEVER SEE ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT!
    Sorry if that stings some of you....
    But the public NEEDS TO KNOW.. that the 8.0 is Behind the Times at this stage of the game.
    There are Superior Choices just a week or two away.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I would imagine you also feel that No one should buy the Note 2 when they can get a Nexus 4. Not gonna argue that with ya, to each their own. You seem to be very caught up in this "this year's tech vs. next year's tech". I may be mistaken but I thought the Note 8.0 and the Nexus 7 were released in 2013. I also thought they both have 2GB of RAM. You have a higher res screen. I have S-Pen, built in OTG support (no NMI required), I have the ability to change fonts on the fly (no root required), which was a biggy for me. I paid $200 for my Note LTE. When/if I get ready I can move the SIM to my 4G AT&T hot spot. I have a 32GB SD card in my device. I also have very good hand-handwriting recognition in the Note 8.0. I had the '13 Nexus 7. I didn't want it. I wanted the Note 8.0. What else should matter to me? You wanted the Nexus 7...what else should matter to you? I prefer the 8" screen and S-Pen. You prefer the 7" screen and stock Android.

If the Note 8 is not worth the low cost of entry to you (it's ~$400 or less, not $1600) then don't buy it. I have headphones that cost 3x that. Were they a bad deal because I could have got some less expensive ones that had "this year's" tech in them?

Note 8.0 via Tapatalk IV
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 10-04-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Live long and prosper.

burkett1974 likes this.

The OP has invested quite a bit of uncessary time talking about a device he doesn't like. As others have stated, there's no need in trying to convince the OP the value of the Note. He's obviously trolling the Note.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    The OP has invested quite a bit of uncessary time talking about a device he doesn't like.. He's obviously trolling the Note.
    Citizen You Don't Understand...
    I OWNED THIS... THING UP UNTIL A FEW DAYS AGO!
    Troll your Aunt Patut..... I have EVERY RIGHT to speak my mind... I Started the Thread AND if I so choose, WILL HAVE THE LAST WORD IN THIS THREAD.
    AND...... I will respond to any and ALL comments posted here..
    It's MY Thread.
    And if you did not like the title of it... THEN WHY DID YOU BOTHER TO READ IT!.. Move On... Dozens of Thread to read of a technical nature..

This is a Thread stating that the OP was Wise Enough to drop this 2012 - 2013 technology back off this week at the Brick & Mortar's doorstep before he got locked into it....
    Time has passed the Note 8.0 by....

I did just receive word that the LG G Pad 8.3 will be announced next week.. with availability by month's end... Suggested Retail $299.00

The G Pad 8.3 isThinner.. Lighter.. Superior CPu... Superior GPu... Full HD ( 1900 x 1200 ) Display that is a bigger screen but in a slimmer package than the Note 8 plus a Stronger Battery.. and $70.00 dollars cheaper... Unfortunately, the Note 8's singular claim to fame is the S-Pen.. otherwise quite ordinary specs..
    But.. I wanted to give it a shot.. it failed on speed AND price.

The Nexus-7 2013 is not a lock yet for me either... This LG G Pad 8.3 is stacking up very, very, nicely as well.. 2014 Technology is looking better than ever for Tablets!

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Raider you really seem to be having a difficult time realizing that what is good for you isn't good for everyone else. As mentioned earlier you seem to be caught up in having just-released tech. Some are more concerned with having tech that offers them the greatest versatility and usefulness. I've already Noted the attributes of the Note 8.0 that are attractive to myself and others. I also have an S4 and a Sony Xperia Tablet Z. The Note is a better fit in my, and many others, arsenal(s) than the Nexus 7. ...and yes, its unique claim-to-fame is its S-Pen and the utility that offers. That utility cannot simply be replicated by using a finger or 3rd party stylus. This response was written with the S-Pen. Being an audiophile, I can connect either of my headphone amps to this the Note 8 and have bit-perfect audio playback out of the box. The same thing can't be said of the Nexus 7.

Note 8.0 via Tapatalk IV
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderWill View Post
    Citizen You Don't Understand...
    I OWNED THIS... THING UP UNTIL A FEW DAYS AGO!
    Troll your Aunt Patut..... I have EVERY RIGHT to speak my mind... I Started the Thread AND if I so choose, WILL HAVE THE LAST WORD IN THIS THREAD.
    AND...... I will respond to any and ALL comments posted here..
    It's MY Thread.
    And if you did not like the title of it... THEN WHY DID YOU BOTHER TO READ IT!.. Move On... Dozens of Thread to read of a technical nature..

This is a Thread stating that the OP was Wise Enough to drop this 2012 - 2013 technology back off this week at the Brick & Mortar's doorstep before he got locked into it....
    Time has passed the Note 8.0 by....

I did just receive word that the LG G Pad 8.3 will be announced next week.. with availability by month's end... Suggested Retail $299.00

The G Pad 8.3 isThinner.. Lighter.. Superior CPu... Superior GPu... Full HD ( 1900 x 1200 ) Display that is a bigger screen but in a slimmer package than the Note 8 plus a Stronger Battery.. and $70.00 dollars cheaper... Unfortunately, the Note 8's singular claim to fame is the S-Pen.. otherwise quite ordinary specs..
    But.. I wanted to give it a shot.. it failed on speed AND price.

The Nexus-7 2013 is not a lock yet for me either... This LG G Pad 8.3 is stacking up very, very, nicely as well.. 2014 Technology is looking better than ever for Tablets!
    I own this tablet, as well as the Nexus 7,and a few other tablets. Perhaps your budget is limited and you had to return it in order to afford the Nexus 7. Who knows. If you've moved on from Note 8,then why are you still in the Note 8 forum? When I move on from a device I no longer use, I move on from that forum as well, because there's nothing I can no longer gain from visiting that forum. I continue to visit the forums for the devices I own. Obviously you have nothing better to do with your time than to visit the Note 8 forum, and knock a device which didn't suite you. Most of us aren't into having the latest specs, highest benchmarks, and latest ROMs. If it does what I need it to do for what I paid then I'm good. It's serving it's purpose.
    It didn't work out for you and we can obviously see that. You can continue to troll all you want. No one can stop a troll with time on their hands. For all the other readers that's thinking about getting the Note 8 when you happen to see it on sale, it's still a great device.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I own this tablet, as well as the Nexus 7,and a few other tablets. Perhaps your budget is limited and you had to return it in order to afford the Nexus 7. Who knows. If you've moved on from Note 8,then why are you still in the Note 8 forum? When I move on from a device I no longer use, I move on from that forum as well, because there's nothing I can no longer gain from visiting that forum. I continue to visit the forums for the devices I own.
    I visit a lot of the forums because I want to know what experiences people have with various gear, I may learn something useful. I'm not sure why Raider feels the need to share his dislike for the Note 8 but for some reason he does. I'm simply trying to convey that his needs don't reflect someone else's wants.
    Live long and prosper.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Raider you really seem to be having a difficult time realizing that what is good for you isn't good for everyone else.
    What YOU fail to understand is....
    I DON"T CARE what you use.. if you want to be locked into a contract for mobile data and have no idea how easy it is to get that for FREE... Then go for it...

Also.. What you fail to understand is "I" voiced "My" opinion on the Antiquated Device that is the Note 8.0...
    Yes.. it works.. and for the few that have a need to doodle or keep track of a bunch of notes.. go for it..does a good job of preforming that task..
    But.. AT $400.00 BUCKS?
    Your getting RIPPED OFF.. Period. I almost got ripped off as well... Then I wised up at the 11th Hour and rushed the antique Note 8 back to the Brick & Mortar for a prompt refund of my Cash.
    The Note series did do one thing.. It spawned a host of note taking apps.. That do the EXACT same thing as the Antiquated Note 8 does.. for free, On ANY Phone or Tablet.
    Time has simply passed the Note 8 by.
    If my (Thankfully Over) experience with it.. and MY opinion of it bothers you or anyone else.. STOP READING AND RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD.
    It's that simple.

OP states that the Note 8 is old tech and the Nexus 7 trumps it.
    Here are a few things the Note 8 can do that the Nexus 7 can't:

1) Mirror screen to HDMI TV. This can be easily done on the Note 8. Not so much on the Nexus 7. Some have posted different cables they have used for the Nexus 7, but they have also posted less than stellar results.

2) Control TV and other devices. The Note 8 can change the channels and volumes on my TV and Cable box. Nexus 7 can't.

3) External SDcard. My Note 8 comes with 16 GB of internal storage. I've also added a 64GB card. I can place my entire 30 GB music library on my Note 8. Not so on my Nexus 7. I don't have enough room for my music library.

3) OTG support. I can easily read and transfer files from my USB drive using an OTG cable on my Note 8. The Nexus 7 doesn't support it. I had to purchase a 3rd party app in order to do it on my Nexus 7.

4) Edit calendar entries to another account. I have several accounts on my device. There are times when I create an account under my personal account, when it was supposed to be under the account I use for work. On my Note 8 I can easily go back to the calendar event, edit it, and change it to the correct account. Not so on my Nexus 7. I'm unable to change events to another account. Therefore, I have to delete the entire calendar event, and start over using the correct account.

5) Ability to Email Group contacts. On my Note 8 I can send Emails to those in my contact groups. Not so on the Nexus 7. I have to use 3rd party apps such as DW Contacts.

6) Ability to select sub-menus on some HTML sites. There are sites that require you to hover your mouse over a navigation link in order to reveal a sub-menu link on some HTML sites. I can easily do this on my laptop. I can also do this while on the go, thanks to the Note 8 hover capability using the S-Pen. Not so on the Nexus 7.

7) Running multiple apps. I'm able to easily run two apps at the same time on my Note 8. I can also have a shrunken down version of a video playing on the screen while using another app at the same time.

Guess I can do a lot with old tech.. huh?

If you can do everything I'd mention with your Nexus 7, I'd like to know.
    I know I can't. That's why the Note 8 has its place amongst the devices I own. I can do a lot more than just doodle and draw.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by cdf3; 10-06-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    chevyman29 likes this.

I have friends with other tablets and a regular capacitive style is a pain in the neck for engineering work. The equations are just too dang complex and the drawings too complex with way too many fine lines on them. I have seen what my fellow students have produced on other tablets and using capacitive pens.

I agree that most people don't need something like the spen. However, I think it is very useful for engineers. Being able to diagram accurately and put in things like operating lines, write out some very complex equations that writing to text conversion just does not work on (strange symbols etc) is a huge gain. While I was on a plane recently flying to a genetic engineering competition I was not only able to work on problems on my note 8 but I had instant access to all the notes I have taken in class so far this year instead of trying to find pieces of paper while stuck in a airplane seen.

Once I graduate I will definitely keep a tablet with an active digitizer. They are just too useful to stop using them for what I do.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The S pen Note is a great tablet for those that are interested in an extremely versatile device. Samsung, with its Note series has truly made the stylus useful again, IMO.

Note 8.0 LTE via Tapatalk IV
    Live long and prosper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast