Galaxy Note 8.0 - Wifi connection problems after update to 4.2.2?

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
After updating my Note 8 (US wifi only GT-N5110 Build JDQ39.N5110UEFMI1) to 4.2.2, I am having problems "switching" between wireless "access points". I have a ZyXEL wireless extender (WRE2205) upstairs, and when I move around the house and it switches back and forth between my main router and the extender, the wifi connection on the Note 8 never transitions smoothly any more (going either way -- from router to extender, or vise-versa). I look at the status bar and I have no wifi connection. When I go into the wifi settings it says "Authentication error occurred" for my SSID. If I then touch my SSID, as if I wanted to connect, up pops the box with "Cancel/Forget/Connect" buttons. I choose "Connect" and I get another box asking for the password -- also, at the bottom of the screen a little notice pops up saying "incorrect password" and then a few seconds later "Successfully connected ...". At this point I can just hit the "cancel" button and it will work properly. I have tried "forgetting" the network and re-adding it -- it didn't help.

I'm having a similar problem with the "enterprise" Cisco AP's at work -- although there it seems that it also can't keep a connection as well as it used to (pre 4.2.2) where there is low signal. Is anyone else seeing either of these behaviors? I have not tried a "Factory Data Reset" yet -- I'm not convinced that will help, but I may get desperate and try it.

p.s. On a GOOD note about the 4.2.2 update, the random screen lag/freeze that I was experiencing with 4.1.2 is GONE. I'm not sure which is worse though, that, or this irritating wifi connection problem...