My stylus quit working!!

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had my note 8 for 8 months and have used it religiously almost everyday. I use the stylus the majority of the time. It's not responding like it used to and I don't know why. Do these things have batteries and can they be replaced? I don't know what the problem is!

Sent from my m'fn Galaxy Note son!

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried replacing the 'nib' of the S Pen? It's probably worn out. A packet of spare nibs, with the extraction tool, should have been included in the box when you received your Note.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It does look worn, but I can't remember extra parts......I probably threw them away!

Manky Boy

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried replacing the 'nib' of the S Pen? It's probably worn out. A packet of spare nibs, with the extraction tool, should have been included in the box when you received your Note.

Mine definately didnt come with spares, are they all meant to?

Posted via Android Central App

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they are all supposed to come with spare nibs. When they're worn out it does affect performance a great deal. Not sure where you are, I'm in the UK & they are relatively easy to find on the internet. If you do a quick search for Samsung note accessories I'm sure you'll find some. It might be a good idea to invest in a spare pen. I have one which is more like a conventional pen, and has an eraser on the top, really useful so you don't have to toggle the eraser when you want to get rid of something. I also have a Bluetooth S pen HMS1500 which you can connect your 3g tablet & phone to, you can then make and receive calls just like any other Bluetooth device (that's if you don't feel silly holding a pen to your ear & talking into it) I use this all the time - I can leave my phone or tablet on the desk & just have a pen in my pocket.
There are several YouTube videos on how to change the nibs - look out for it with the 10.1 if you can't find it for your model.
Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This really sucks that it won't work. I have to push down very hard for it to work. It's not worth it do I'm back to using my finger and that sucks!!! Guess I'll be looking for parts soon.

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
roguetrader, do you actually own a Note 8? The tip of the Note 8's S-pen is NOT replaceable. owensch1, you'll have to buy a new pen. I've seen them for sale on ebay.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
No, I don't - I have a 10.1 I assumed (obviously wrongly) that the S pen is universal. The tip is bound to wear out with friction though & so it would seem sensible to have spares available.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Regarding your previous post - the Galaxy Note 8 s pen functionality is exactly the same as the Note 2, 10.1 and Note 3. ALL have interchangeable nibs. It seems odd the 8 should be any different. Best Buy, Amazon & Staples all sell replacement pens for the Note 8, and all have interchangeable nibs (black rubber & white plastic).

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
OK - to clear up the matter - checked with Samsung directly, the nibs on the Note 8 absolutely can be changed, and should be when worn out. It's the same as all of the Note range. There is also some info on XDA developers regarding a recent update to JB 4.2 which has in some cases affected pen functionality, although as you say yours is worn, it probably needs replacement. Good luck.

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I didn't think it was worn THAT bad actually. I also just have 4.1.2. So I gotta buy another damn pen??

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Rougetrader, where do I get replacement nibs from? Samsung directly? I'm pretty upset that less than a year of owning it, I have to replace the pen. I seriously use the pen 95% of the time.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine definately didnt come with spares, are they all meant to?

Posted via Android Central App

Neither my LTE or WiFi Notes came with spare nibs like my '14 Note 10.1 did. You may just need to get a new stylus unless extra nibs are very easily obtainable.

Sent from that other Tablet

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So has anyone found where one might purchase extra Note 8 tips? When I bought my Note 8, I was told that they were not replaceable. This thread is the first I've heard otherwise.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a sneaking suspicion that the same nibs that work in the '12 Note 10.1 would work in the Note 8.0. The nibs seem challenging to find. Replacing the S-Pen altogether seems easier, but, of course, at a higher cost, I'm sure.

EDIT:

[NOTE]I JUST REALIZED I HAVE SOME FROM WHEN I HAD A 2012 NOTE 10.1. I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO DROP THEM IN AN EVELOPE AND SEND THEM TO YOU. Just PM me if you're interested.[/NOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox