1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Navigation without Wifi?

What is the best way to navigate on a Wifi only Note 8 without WiFi? I know you can download a map from Google offline & when/if you find a wifi connection it will tell you where you are. That is the basically like having a paper map. I found some Apps that look like they use the GPS to turn by turn? Does anyone have real world experience using them, especially in the US vs. France? I thought I read somewhere you could connect to you cell phone via Bluetooth vs. tether and do it that way.

What I am trying to do is navigate using the WiFi only Note 8 (big screen) vs. cell phone (little screen).

Living in Europe there is roaming all around, therefore one needs offline navigation.
    I use the paid offline navigation app Navigon by Garmin and I've experience also in France ... but not in US

You might also look for CoPilot and Sygic, a free app is NavFree ...

Default Re: Navigation without Wifi?

But the note 8 has a GPS chip...

Posted via Android Central App
    the panda has spoken

Quote Originally Posted by dadathepanda View Post
    But the note 8 has a GPS chip...
    Yep, necessary for offline navigation.

As dadathepanda said. There is no need to navigate using wi-fi. The Note 8 has a GPS chip. Just turn it on and you're ready to go. If you want turn by turn directions, look in the Play Store for navigation software.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I know what I did now. I must have just brought up Google Maps and did not navigate to any address. I was thinking it should follow my route like a normal GPS (Garmin). This time, I made sure GPS was on & navigated to an address, all worked as expected. Then for fun I tried without an address again & that basically sucks because the screen turns off & you will drive off the screen without the screen re-adjusting.

Bottom line is - just having a map up is a waste, GPS turn by turn navigation by destination works fine. So no biggie, I will just use a general destination and off to see the wizard.

Only make sure that Maps calculates the turn-by-turn route on the downloaded (cached) area while you're on WiFi.
    Because Maps will indeed turn-by-turn navigate without WiFi, but it won't calculate or recalculate a route without WiFi.
    Thanked by:

I use CoPilot and I like it a lot. It’s fast and easy to use.