Mobile Version on Browser Issue

Kcoolby

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys -

So I just decided to return by Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition my girlfriend got me and went with the Galaxy Note 8.0 for portability. I loved the 2014 edition for watching movies on in the airplane..... but I realized I didn't end up using it for anything else because it was too big and bulky. However, my Note 8.0 - I have been using it none stop because it's just so light and easier to use when on the go.

What do you guys think about my decision? It is hard giving up the screen real-estate - especially for watching movies (even though I have yet to watch movies on my Note 8.0 yet).

Anyways - back to the main issue. So I realized my note 8.0 browser does not always use the mobile version on websites. These include fairly popular websites like amazon, and news articles within yahoo. This is sometimes annoying since the popular websites have mobile browsers designed to fit the screen of the tablet. I found this out when I was comparing my Note 8.0 to the 2014. I would open Amazon and realized the page was different. After doing a little research I realized the 2014 was utilizing the mobile browser and the 8.0 was not. As such, I end up needing to pinch and zoom a lot more on the 8.0. I have tried to look at all the settings within the browser to determine how to fix this. However, no luck. I also hit the menu button while in the browser and noted that the desktop version option is unchecked..... even though the Note 8.0 is still not using the mobile version.

Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks for your help!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys -

So I just decided to return by Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition my girlfriend got me and went with the Galaxy Note 8.0 for portability. I loved the 2014 edition for watching movies on in the airplane..... but I realized I didn't end up using it for anything else because it was too big and bulky. However, my Note 8.0 - I have been using it none stop because it's just so light and easier to use when on the go.

What do you guys think about my decision? It is hard giving up the screen real-estate - especially for watching movies (even though I have yet to watch movies on my Note 8.0 yet).

Anyways - back to the main issue. So I realized my note 8.0 browser does not always use the mobile version on websites. These include fairly popular websites like amazon, and news articles within yahoo. This is sometimes annoying since the popular websites have mobile browsers designed to fit the screen of the tablet. I found this out when I was comparing my Note 8.0 to the 2014. I would open Amazon and realized the page was different. After doing a little research I realized the 2014 was utilizing the mobile browser and the 8.0 was not. As such, I end up needing to pinch and zoom a lot more on the 8.0. I have tried to look at all the settings within the browser to determine how to fix this. However, no luck. I also hit the menu button while in the browser and noted that the desktop version option is unchecked..... even though the Note 8.0 is still not using the mobile version.

Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks for your help!

I am inclined to agree about the size to weight ratio. I have always had a somewhat difficult time holding larger tablets for the few minutes in stores. I couldn't imagine holding them for 2 hours watching a flick. I have a Tab 2 7" and I like it. Screen size is a significant jump from my phone and light enough to hold for prolonged periods of time.

As for the mobile browsers...I think they are starting to give way to mobile apps, which almost function as a mobile website. And that honestly makes sense. Personally, I hate fighting mobile sites on my browser.

Kcoolby

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I am inclined to agree about the size to weight ratio. I have always had a somewhat difficult time holding larger tablets for the few minutes in stores. I couldn't imagine holding them for 2 hours watching a flick. I have a Tab 2 7" and I like it. Screen size is a significant jump from my phone and light enough to hold for prolonged periods of time.

As for the mobile browsers...I think they are starting to give way to mobile apps, which almost function as a mobile website. And that honestly makes sense. Personally, I hate fighting mobile sites on my browser.

Yea - I mean when i'm watching a movie I typically use the case stand. But if i'm browsing the internet in bed or on the couch it's a little difficult to use.

With the mobile browser - I don't understand why the Note 2014 can load all the websites in mobile version but the Note 8.0 can't for those same websites though. And for those specific websites -- they are a lot better using the mobile version (ie: Amazon).

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea - I mean when i'm watching a movie I typically use the case stand. But if i'm browsing the internet in bed or on the couch it's a little difficult to use.

With the mobile browser - I don't understand why the Note 2014 can load all the websites in mobile version but the Note 8.0 can't for those same websites though. And for those specific websites -- they are a lot better using the mobile version (ie: Amazon).

The problem is likely that the given website doesn't recognize the Note 8 as a mobile device and therefore sends a normal desktop version of the page out.

You can try a different browser that will let you manually set the user agent, but that can be a pain.

For now you can set book marks to point to the mobile site (ie: Amazon), or you can just load sites normally then change the "www" in the URL to "m" and the browser will load the mobile page just fine.

wrichards123

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I did the EXACT same thing and came up with the same conclusions.. I LOVE my note 10.1 2014, its a friggin beast, but big and heavy for my everyday lifestyle. I got the note 8.0 thinking it was gonna be close to the note 10.1 2014, it wasnt. the two majr differences IMO note 8.0 is not the same gen android and has the "OLD" s-pen. this gives me problems bouncing back and forth between my note 3, 10.1 and the note 8.0. even if the note 8.0 is , for lack of a better word "inferior", its lack of screen res gives it a quick feeling, everything is fast and such. the note 10.1 2014 is a beast BUT the screen rez and touchwiz impose on the experience ALOT, making the note 8.0 feel faster and more responsive.

all in all both have thier place for what im using them for, but like the OP, I found the 10.1 2014 great for home stuff or such, but for the more portable lifestyle, the note 8.0 is the perfect sweetspot for me. on a side note i LOVE the tab 3-7, but its a bit too slow and no stylus....

on another side note, I have to admit to my origional ingnorance on a post i had here w reguard to the Wacom Bamoo not working on the note 8, 10, 3... to correct this wrong, I have to admit that it DOES work perfectly, but you have to disable in settings s-pen the option to check if pen is docked.....

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys -

So I just decided to return by Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition my girlfriend got me and went with the Galaxy Note 8.0 for portability.

I have a 2014, a non 2014 10.1, a Tab 7 2.0 and an 8. All but the 2014 I have had for a long time. If I had chose only one it would be the 8.

Kcoolby

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your help. I went into best buy and it seemed the note 8 and tabs all had the issue with the mobile browser so I'm not too worried anymore.

I'm glad you guys also agree with me regarding screen size. I'm still strongly debating the 2014 since I am still in love with the screen resolution and the screen size. It makes multi window so much better !

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your help. I went into best buy and it seemed the note 8 and tabs all had the issue with the mobile browser so I'm not too worried anymore.

I'm glad you guys also agree with me regarding screen size. I'm still strongly debating the 2014 since I am still in love with the screen resolution and the screen size. It makes multi window so much better !

Perhaps too much for many but my 10.1 is my coffee table tablet that almost never leaves the house and is in a thin case, and my 8 is for the road in a heavy drop case. The 10.1 is great for movies and books but I don't like lugging in around. (though the 8 for movies, books and magazines is not bad at all.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Amazon for sure uses mobile app. Infact on my note 8 when I go to amazon.com in the browser it automatically uses app by default.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Kcoolby

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Amazon for sure uses mobile app. Infact on my note 8 when I go to amazon.com in the browser it automatically uses app by default.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

i was at both best buy and walmart and all there note 8 and tab 7's and 8's pull amazon up as the desktop version. For both google chrome and android browser. The note 2014 in store uses the mobile version.

Are you running 4.2.2 on the note 8?

And yes Rockets i agree, the 8 for movies isn't too bad. I do see a difference in quality though as the 10.1 is definitely superior. I'm not debating about waiting for the rumored Tab 8.4 though. AMOLED display sounds fabulous and the extra .4 will pretty solidify the purchase for me.