Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tgusnik
  • 1 Post By jdub1981
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help with micro SD and movies

Hi,

I got my Note a couple days ago, mostly for watching movies while on deployment, where I won't have wifi access. I pretty quickly filled up the internal memory, so I attempted to put the movies, bought on Google Play, onto a micro SD card and deleted them off my internal memory to free up space. However, now I can't play the movies, and I can't seem to find them on the device. Am I doing something wrong? I am very, very new to Android, so please dumb things down for me as best you can. Thanks!

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Default Re: Help with micro SD and movies

Quote Originally Posted by liddie View Post
    Hi,

I got my Note a couple days ago, mostly for watching movies while on deployment, where I won't have wifi access. I pretty quickly filled up the internal memory, so I attempted to put the movies, bought on Google Play, onto a micro SD card and deleted them off my internal memory to free up space. However, now I can't play the movies, and I can't seem to find them on the device. Am I doing something wrong? I am very, very new to Android, so please dumb things down for me as best you can. Thanks!
    You may have to re download them. Im not sure you can move movies to the sd card due to copyright protection schemes. I dont want to suggest anything illegal but if you cant figure it out and you definitely purchased them id suggest the utorrent app from the playstore. Stay safe on your deployment, if you dont mind me asking where are you at?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

you might have the problem I had with the microsd chip not being %100 percent compatable with the note 8.0, if your still having problems swap the chip and see if you still have the same problem...

If you go into File Manager and select external Device and look through the directories can you find them that way? If so, then they are still there. Conceivably, if you can find them through File Manager, you can select the video and play it.

Quote Originally Posted by liddie View Post
    Hi,

The note won't play media on the external sd card. It's well documented. The only work around is to root the phone and do a mod so that the sd card is recognized as the internal memory. If you search the note 2 forums on xda-developers.com you can find the process for rooting and the mod. It's possible KitKat will resolve this issue but who knows how long it will be for that upgrade. Thanks for your service, keep safe and God bless
    rfd177 likes this.

Mine are ending up in the /emulated/0/movies...

I have quite a few movies that I converted from blu-ray to MP4 video. Created a folder called Video on my micro sd, and copied the movies to that folder using Kies. The movies play just fine from the micro sd card using the stock video player on the Note 8. I'm sure your running into a DRM issue seeing the videos were purchased from the Play Store.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

^ What converter did you use ? I own a Note 8.0 and want to do that.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Samsung WatchON movies downloaded to internal memory. How do I move to removable MIcro SD card and what folder should I create so they play? I have that $50 credit that expires 12/29/13 and need to buy another one or two and will not have room on internal memory to download them. It's almost full now. HELP

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post

I use . Not free, but it works great.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

^ Thank you. I will give that a try.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.

It's been about a year but I think I used Virtual Dub to encode, and another freeware to rip, maybe DVD Fab?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I use Brorsoft to rip and convert, then drop the movies onto the micro SD card of my Note 8. I also have a folder labeled "Videos" and use the basic video player. Works great, but not free.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by SIOP; 12-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tgusnik View Post
    The note won't play media on the external sd card. It's well documented. The only work around is to root the phone and do a mod so that the sd card is recognized as the internal memory. If you search the note 2 forums on xda-developers.com you can find the process for rooting and the mod. It's possible KitKat will resolve this issue but who knows how long it will be for that upgrade. Thanks for your service, keep safe and God bless
    What are you talking about? I have a note 8 and note 2, both play movies on an external sd card using mx player.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    Thanked by:
    Bangkok Hound likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post

I use dvd catalyst for all movie conversion to all of our mobil devices

Sent with Galaxy Note 8 via TapaTalk

There is a ton of funkyness with the Galaxy series devices and Micro SD cards. The S4, for example, are notorious for dismounting randomly. Eventually some of them even nuke the SD Cards contents.

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    What are you talking about? I have a note 8 and note 2, both play movies on an external sd card using mx player.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    Must be an issue with my card. Some media will play but not all of it and this include tracks from the same cd or download. Maybe I need to go to a smaller card or use google music to stream instead

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

What ate the exact codecs you are trying to play ie; aac, mp3, wma etc? I use the stock music player app for all my music whether it be downloads or itunes purchase from ptevious iphones. Never once had a problem. Ive had a sandisk 64gb card in my note 2 for over a year and a kingston 32gb in my note 8. I ONLY use mxplayer for movies. Its free and plays anything without problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk