Would you buy a GNote8 today?

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about grabbing one, but I'm pretty torn.

First of all, it isn't exactly new, but it's not exactly old either. It has the hardware to last a while it seems, but Samsung hasn't shown an eagerness for update support it seems. On the other hand, most folks (I think) are happy with the way it worked out of the box.

I'm in it primarily for the stylus -- I'm a graduate student and I want to take handwritten notes on the tablet. I assume there are others who use it for this purpose -- how do you like it?

Ideally, I'd be able to take notes on OneNote. Unfortunately, that's a no-go on Android. Other than the Surface Pro, I don't see any Windows options near this price range, though. The Dell Venue has an active stylus, but terrible reviews thus far. So, I'm thinking of moving on from OneNote for this purpose and looking into Android alternatives for inking.

Of course, I don't want to do that if the wonderful Galaxy Note 8 community here at AC wouldn't advocate getting it at this point as Samsung appears to be on the cusp of releasing a new 8-incher. What say you?

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

bmyers_az

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I in fact did buy a Galaxy Note 8 today. There just doesn't seem to be any comparable product if you're interested in having the real stylus and not a fat fingered capacitive stylus.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought one yesterday and couldn't be happier. At $329 it seems fairly priced and I'm not at all concerned with the specs. The screen, while not retina, is plenty sharp and I find the color saturation to be more pleasing to my eye than my iPad Air. The spen is a huge bonus for me - it's world's beyond what other tablets can do.

I also think it feels really nice in the hand and the audio is good.

The iPad Mini retina will crush it on benchmarks, and while I don't notice any real world difference between the two, the A7 chip is clearly much much more powerful than the Exynos. Does that matter? Not to me. I even like touch wiz.

Bottom line - I'm quite pleased with the Note 8 and think it stands up well against the current crop of tablets.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(5477192)

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a ipad mini for about a year and wanted to return to an Android pad, one similar in size. I picked the GN8 just before C'mas and would still pick one. with my ipad I bought two stylus, each costing over ten $ and neither "wrote" for me like the stylus that came with the Note.

sahmad88

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I use my GN8 everyday. I bought it in May because of the digitizer. I am a teacher and use it in the classroom for writing my notes on as well as using it at meetings and workshops.

I use an app called Lecture Notes to organize my notes. I would highly recommend that app. One thing I like about it is you can turn off touch input in the settings. That way you can write while resting your wrist on the screen. I do have it also set so I can scroll up and down with two fingers. It makes it really easy to navigate and you never get stray marks. It also can store various pens (colors and widths). I also is the export to pdf feature to share my notes.

One thing-if you have a tendency to write large, I would recommend looking at the nite 10.1. I watch some of my students write on it and they really can't fit that much on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The G-Pad looks like a great tablet, but it lacks the digitizer technology that the Note 8 has. That in itself, puts them in totally different categories in my opinion. I think taking notes on the LG with a regular stylus would be like using your finger dipped in ink instead of a ballpoint pen.

Would the Sony Z Ultra work similarly to the Note? I hate and will not own another Samsung product but like the note taking options. The Sony Z Ultra can take touch inputs from a sharp metal stylus for fine point control.

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Would the Sony Z Ultra work similarly to the Note? I hate and will not own another Samsung product but like the note taking options. The Sony Z Ultra can take touch inputs from a sharp metal stylus for fine point control.

Does the Sony have digitizer technology? The S-pen is not just a stylus. It has software and hardware backing it up. That's what sets the Note series apart.

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually the Note series uses a wacom digitizer, which is made for stylus use, it isn't just marketing.

Indeed, this is why I've been so interested. I think I'm going to make a move -- I'd rather have the ability to use an active stylus with OneNote, but Windows tablets just have not yet matured enough, at least in this price range. I love some of the other Android tablets out there, but the digitizer makes it more than just a consumption device which is key for me.

nvarras7

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Have been using mine to take notes at various seminars that I go to, wouldn't like to go back to paper. Takes some getting used to but it's worth it. Highlighting and drawing diagrams with different colors is a breeze.
Build quality is superb, and on the software side there have been no problems.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
My note 8 is what started me to look at android once again otherwise I would still be with Crapple. Love the stylus and wouldn't trade my note 8 or now my note 3 for any apple product.

Actually I when I ordered the note 8, I ordered it and then cancelled the order 3 times. I was going back and forth with it and the ipad mini. Now I am also contemplating the note 10.1 2014 version.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ttechnology

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I may have simply misread your post but found reference to this on the Samsung site and seems that One Note is supported on Android. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.microsoft.office.onenote&token=xEEwfmJk

I also own an Acer WinRT tablet, which seemed to work well until it developed hardware problems after about 6 months. It's been in the competitive price range but is somewhat limited if you really want much more than what it offers out of the box. The Windows Store is still somewhat limited. My big issue with Win8 is how tied it is into Windows Live, XBOX Live, SkyDrive, etc. It's convenient but often seems a bit invasive.

Regards

Last edited:

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I use OneNote extensively for school. I love that I can set it up to automatically sync with all my devices. It is nice to pull up my notes on my tablet and study while on the go. But the down side to one note on Android is that I don't see a way to input handwriting or drawings like there is on Windows. Maybe I'm just missing it but that is a huge feature to me. I need to be able to write in equations and draw chemical structures.

Noted via tapatalk

Last edited:

Max79

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I bought my note as soon as it came out and I love it.

Writing is great on it. But as mentioned by others you have to get used to it. Hand write recognition works pretty well (although some symbols might be an issue like "/"). Inserting images into notes creating diagrams. It is a great tool.

multi-window functionalities is very good as well, and is very handy for some tasks (calculator and writing notes down). Plus, I am not looking for pens anymore, when I need to write somthing down, no more post it or useless papers to write down simple things. Plus, it feels comfortable when using the s pen with the tablet

Wait for the next generation? I would say yes, although dont expect it to be cheeper.

cheers

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
For those wondering, I did pick up the Note 8.0. I'm very fond of it, especially with the Samsung smart case. While there is a OneNote app for Android, it does not support handwriting recognition. This remains a major downside to me as OneNote is unrivaled and I am tied to Office via my work.

This was the only 8 inch tablet with reliable active digitizer input, though. That was most important for now. However, ASUS announced a Vivotab Note 8 that runs full Windows 8.1 with free copy of MS Office, has a Wacom digitizer (same stylus tech as Samsung Note devices), and will start at $300, pretty much what I paid for this. The new Intel Atom processors are really great and are actually up to the task of running that operating system. We'll see when that hits shelves.

Posted via Android Central App