1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Default Will there be another software update

I have the Note 8 which I bought last week at a great price of $229.00. I immediately did the update to 4.2 and find the device to be very nice. One thing it lacks is the ability to move a lot of things to the SD card. Even through My Files app I was unable to transfer files from device memory to SD card. I had to use another app to trick device to move movies out of memory and onto the card. This is a major short coming.

Also ability to move most apps to SD card through Application Manager is lacking and I am only able to move a couple. These same apps are on my Galaxy S4 and move back and forth without a problem.

I think the hardware is strong enough to handle these major needs but my question is does anyone know or suspect Samsung is working on an upgrade to handle this?

I would also like to see that Note 3 S pen app work. That would be cool..

Default Re: Will there be another software update

I have no problem moving files using My File, although I don't really use the app because it's a bit clunky. Nonetheless, I don't see how using a third-party app is a "major shortcoming."

Moving apps to the SD card is app dependent; I don't know why you're having a problem with that if it works on the S4. There could be an issue with the SD card, have you tried formatting?

I wouldn't count on an update at this point. It's a bit of a niche device and Samsung is already releasing their next generation of tablets.

To what Note 3 S Pen app are you referring?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

I moved 4 videos to my Note from my S4 using Wifi direct. It stored on my Note under device memory in a file called Wifidirect. Using My Files App gave me no option to (Move) the files after checking them. I also see that the many apps that are on my S4 can be moved to SD card through Application Manager. These same apps are not showing they can be moved over on my Note. This was an earlier issue with the S4 that Samsung took care of with software update. Was just hoping for same with Note.

The app on the Note 3 I'm talking about with the S Pen is the pie thing that pops up with the S Pen. I think that's really cool and do not see why the Note can't do it too.

Thanks for quick response. Maybe the moving of files is a issue on my Note and I have to do a reset to fix the problem.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Also, regarding the S Note on the Note 3 it has been stated that the file structure of the Note 3 S Note application is different compared to the Note 8's S Note as well as the last gen Note 10.1 and the Note 2. I would also like to see the Note 8 get the newer S Note version. I really like the compatibility between my Note 8 and Note 2 with the S Notes but at some point want to buy a Note 3. But I don't want to lose the perfect sharing ability the Note 8 and Note 2 have with the S Note. So yes it would be great if the Note 8 was updated because I really like mine and intend to keep my Note 8 for a good while.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

There is a possibility the Note 8 will get another update. An article on Pocketnow states:

Samsung will eventually update all versions of its — for now — latest devices (like the Galaxy S 4 and Note III) to Android 4.4 KitKat, as its competitor HTC is doing with the 2013 One flagship, but a recent report claims that the South Koreans will go the extra mile of upgrading 2012 devices too. Now, before we get too excited, the information comes from “a source close to the matter” who has talked to PhanDroid, so treat it accordingly.

The Galaxy Note 2*SGH-i317,*Galaxy S3*SGH-i747,*Galaxy Tab 3*7.0 SM-t217a,*Galaxy S4 Active*SGH-i537,*Galaxy Mega SGH-i527,*Galaxy S4 Zoom*SM-c105a,*Galaxy Note 8.0 SGH-i467, and Galaxy S3 Mini*SM-g730a are all devices mentioned in the report. While you can see both global and US carrier variants enumerated above, the report claims that all these devices are on Samsung’s KitKat upgrade list.

While the information can’t be verified at the moment, some of these devices are definitely capable of running Android KitKat. The question is whether Samsung wants to upgrade these, or would rather prefer to push this year’s and last year’s flagships forward instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    There is a possibility the Note 8 will get another update. An article on Pocketnow states:

While the information can’t be verified at the moment, some of these devices are definitely capable of running Android KitKat. The question is whether Samsung wants to upgrade these, or would rather prefer to push this year’s and last year’s flagships forward instead.

One caveat there is that there are no WiFi-only devices on that list.

Not to say that there won't be some kind of maintenance release, but it looks like WiFi only tabs are going to stay on 4.2.2.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

^ I actually would be happy if that maintenance release did include the newer S Note application. Then I could see a new Note 3 or Note 4 in my future to go along with my Note 8. As for 4.2.2 I am okay with it. I have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav508 View Post
    I moved 4 videos to my Note from my S4 using Wifi direct. It stored on my Note under device memory in a file called Wifidirect. Using My Files App gave me no option to (Move) the files after checking them. I also see that the many apps that are on my S4 can be moved to SD card through Application Manager. These same apps are not showing they can be moved over on my Note. This was an earlier issue with the S4 that Samsung took care of with software update. Was just hoping for same with Note.

The app on the Note 3 I'm talking about with the S Pen is the pie thing that pops up with the S Pen. I think that's really cool and do not see why the Note can't do it too.

Thanks for quick response. Maybe the moving of files is a issue on my Note and I have to do a reset to fix the problem.
    Oh, OK. It isn't called 'Move' in My Files, it uses cut and paste. When you check the boxes for files, you'll get a button at the top next to delete that is an arrow pointing right. Click that, then and it will say (1) item cut up top. Now navigate to where you want to move it and tap the top right icon that looks like two pages (paste). As I said before, the app works, but it's clunky.

Again for moving apps to SD, I don't know.

The Note 3 app you speak of is called Air Command. I believe that was introduced with Android 4.3 on the Note 2 and 3. So I don't think that can be added without Samsung pushing an Android update.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

^ The Note 2 did not get Air Command with the 4.3 update. As for getting the Air Command function to open upon S Pen removal and having that on the Note 8 I am not really as concerned about. I just want the Note 3 to be able to have an S Note created and the Note 8 be able to have it available on it. I use the S Pen a lot on my Note 2 and Note 8 and it just works between the two. I read somewhere the file structure or something was changed with the newer S Note released on the Note 3 and the 2014 Tab 10.1 which is causing incompatibility to older devices like the last gen 10.1 and the Note 2 as well as the Note 8.

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    ^ The Note 2 did not get Air Command with the 4.3 update. As for getting the Air Command function to open upon S Pen removal and having that on the Note 8 I am not really as concerned about. I just want the Note 3 to be able to have an S Note created and the Note 8 be able to have it available on it. I use the S Pen a lot on my Note 2 and Note 8 and it just works between the two. I read somewhere the file structure or something was changed with the newer S Note released on the Note 3 and the 2014 Tab 10.1 which is causing incompatibility to older devices like the last gen 10.1 and the Note 2 as well as the Note 8.

The bit about Air Command was for the OP, but thanks for clarifying about the Note 2 not having it.

Anyhow, have you tried using the cloud functions (either Google or Samsung) with S Note to be able to sync S Notes between both of your devices? I only have one device so I have no idea if that's possible, just a quick thought. The cloud may only be good for backups.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

I use Samsung's cloud syncing ability as well as Google's for different things. As I mentioned previously, the S Note functionality works perfectly between my Note 2 and Note 8. In a couple other threads it has been discussed a little bit about the compatibility problems with the newer devices. Some who have a Note 8 or last gen Note 10.1 were surprised to learn when they got their Note 3 that the S Notes created on the Note 3 seemed to not be showing up on the older device and it was not due to any syncing issues but more of a change in the file structure the newer S Note contained. I will look a bit more into it but I have not seen any other solutions except to ditch the Note 2 and Note 8 and to by a Note 3 and a 2014 Note 10.1. That is not what I want to do. The other thing as discussed here......Transferring S-Notes from Note 2 to Note 3..... is seemingly a fix of sorts but I am hoping to be able in the future write S Notes on either my Note 8 and a Note 3 or 4 and have it just work.

Last edited by ehosey2; 02-07-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

Coming soon ?

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...oid-442-kitkat

Wonder if that includes wifi only versions too?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Landry View Post
    Wonder if that includes wifi only versions too?

Posted via Android Central App
    I assume that would include wifi versions there are few variants of the Note 8.0 but in the post generalized Note 8.0 so i assume that would cover all the variants. Now i hope this update comes very soon. What im really wondering is if this cover Canadian devices. the post mentions devices in the US but nothing about elsewhere! anybody have better insights?