Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 8 shutting down on its own

Lately my Note 8 has been randomly shutting down. When I power it back up, the date and time revert back to what I'm guessing is a factory default, 12/31/2012 at 6:00 pm.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I've tried to Google it but the results are muddled with the Note phones and I can't seem to filter down to the Note 8. I hope it isn't, but I'm beginning to think it's a hardware problem with the battery as the date/time reset is the same as what happens when the battery dies. But this happens regardless of the charge state of the battery.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Note 8 shutting down on its own

Figured this one out. Opened the back cover to have a look and found the connector connecting the battery to the motherboard was misaligned. The wires extending from the battery are a little too short so it put a lot of stress on the connector and one of the side tabs cracked. So one side of the connector was pulling away from the terminal resulting in intermittent contact. When I sat the tablet down after use I probably was jostling it enough to break the connection shutting down the tablet.

I wedged a small piece of metal against the side of the connector with the broken tab to re-align it. I then put a couple pieces of Nomex on top of the connector so that pressure from the back cover will hopefully help keep it in place.

Almost through the day and so far no shutdowns. It should be solid now, but if not I'll have to modify that connection to repair it. But removing the cover for access is pretty easy so it wouldn't be too bad if I had to do that.