Galaxy Note 8.0: Cracked my screen. Is there a cheap/easy diy fix out there?

cowboys703

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Google brought me to a few sites claiming they had the steps figured out but the comments were filled with either people saying the guide was wrong or the people who responded never came back to say it worked. I brought it into one of those cell phone repair stores and they said it would be about 200 bucks. Looking online and I see the screen+digitizer goes for about 180 while the screen goes for about 40 by itself. Some of the comments I've been seeing say it is pretty much impossible to remove the digitizer from the screen.

If it ends up being that I have to buy both, I'd rather just get a refurbished one off Amazon for an extra 50 bucks. I like to tinker but I'm not very good at it.

Unless, of course, there is another tablet coming out soon that has S-Pen quality function that I have not heard of yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

dudeeg

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Google brought me to a few sites claiming they had the steps figured out but the comments were filled with either people saying the guide was wrong or the people who responded never came back to say it worked. I brought it into one of those cell phone repair stores and they said it would be about 200 bucks. Looking online and I see the screen+digitizer goes for about 180 while the screen goes for about 40 by itself. Some of the comments I've been seeing say it is pretty much impossible to remove the digitizer from the screen.

If it ends up being that I have to buy both, I'd rather just get a refurbished one off Amazon for an extra 50 bucks. I like to tinker but I'm not very good at it.

Unless, of course, there is another tablet coming out soon that has S-Pen quality function that I have not heard of yet?

Hi,

I just fixed my Note8 broken screen a month ago. I was researching a lot what is possible what not. In the end, I bought a complete glass+digitizer+lcd assembly.
In total I had to pay around 120$ for the part. Plus 1 hour disassembly, 3-4 hours assembly.
The only glass+digitizer was a no go, and now I see why. It is almost impossible to separate the glass+digitizer from the LCD as it is glued together with a very strong adhesive. Maybe you can remove it by applying controlled heat, but very-very risky, and you likely end up damaging your LCD. And even if you succeed, you will not be able to glue your LCD with your new touchscreen/glass part.

So, I am happy that I could fix it myself. Still it was not cheap, but 50% of what Samsung wanted for it. I dont read this forum too often, but of you need more info reply or contact me.

Posted via Android Central App

Ixson Ix

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I just changed my samsung note 8.0 digitizer last night successfully.
Online information and tutorial were insufficient, i followed the video tutorial on youtube

I bought the digitizer on ebay with the pry tool x 2 , screwdriver, and T5 torx and
3M 9495le Double Sided VHB Tape, 300 LSE Adhesive from another seller.

I followed exactly the instructions in the video, just few points to take note:

1) use harder card or similar item to separate the digitizer from the lcd.
2) Extra attention is needed at the bottom part where contains menu, home, and esc keys. I accidentally pulled out the menu backlight key during the separation. Now my note 8.0 is functioning without the menu key backlight.
3) Heat gun is recommended over the hair blower for adequate heat energy and fast separation.
4) Rub off the adhesive with fingers then clean it with WD40
5) Prepare the vacuum to clean off the broken glass chips during the separation

My original color was white, i bought a black digitizer to replace, now my note 8.0 is black with white home key, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463