Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Internal Storage Mystery?

Hello, I'm recently becoming quite confused about this device's internal storage....

I've been getting the warning messages about low internal storage, so I've been sorting through my files trying to find the space hog/s using ES File Manager:

My internal storage is listed as 8.47GB full out of 9.85GB total.
    But when I highlight all files and folders on the entire internal disk (the folder "sdcard0"...or the identical/dummy file structures in "emulated" etc), it tells me there's only 1.73GB used total.
    I can highlight each folder and file one by one (including all 'hidden' files and folders) and add them all up, or just get the properties of the entire disk at once; any method adds up to there being just 1.73GB worth of files and folders on the disk.

Yet the ES file manager 'homepage' window, AND the samsung settings storage thing both list the internal storage as being 8.47GB used out of 9.85GB total, with 1.38GB free.

Does anyone know what is going on?? The difference between the files listed on the disk and the actual usable space is nearly 7GB. ??

Thanks!

I'm afraid I can't help but am very interested in this as I am to have exactly the same problem. It's happened on my note 2 as well. I'm toying with the idea of restoring to factory to delete everything but don't want to unless I absolutely have to.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Internal Storage Mystery?

My Note 8.0 says 9.75GB of total storage when it is a 16GB device. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    My Note 8.0 says 9.75GB of total storage when it is a 16GB device. What gives?
    That's all that's left after they load the OS and their overlay software. I agree, it's a shock to see that.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    That's all that's left after they load the OS and their overlay software. I agree, it's a shock to see that.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    Why on my other galaxy devices does it show 32GB total for a 32GB device, 16GB for a 16GB device and so forth? My Note 8.0 is a 16GB and says 9.75GB total.

I don't know, but you definitely don't get the personal use of the whole ROM capacity. If you get a 32 GB device, all that's left for you is maybe 26 GB, and there are apps you can use to see exactly how much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I believe that Samsung has given up on the Note 8.0 and they are all heading to the electronics wasteland shortly.

Maybe someone else has seen the same type of thing and can explain it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2