Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default US Kitkat?

Has anyone in the US received the Kitkat update for their wifi Note 8?

Default Re: US Kitkat?

I haven't yet and have been looking for an answer to this.

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts

As standard global rollouts are concerned it seems that international versions first get the updates across Asia and Europe with the Americas eventually getting the update. I believe the update for our GT N5100's in the USA will arrive soon.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I have. today. waiting to decide if I to take the plunge and update!

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US Kitkat?-screenshot_2014-06-02-17-05-34.jpg  

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts

So, 4 hours after my last post.....

Looks like it is here.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.
    biggjohnson2k likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    So, 4 hours after my last post.....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/4a6e7eqe.jpg

Looks like it is here.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.
    I decided to try Kies a few minutes ago and something is downloading. It is taking forever, hope this is it.

It did upgrade. I have no idea what is different, that is for another day. My home screen does look different but that is all I am willing to check tonight. Not impressed so far, what do we gain from this?

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts

My Note 8.0 is rooted so it should come as no surprise the install failed. I have unrooted and will try again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Keep us posted on how it goes please.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Just finish kitkat install in Atlanta. The whole process took under 30 minutes for me. My desktop and icons were fully intact, and everything seems to be running smoothly.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

That is great! Did it delete any of your data in the process?

Houston here and downloading now via Wi-Fi.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

Finish upgrade, will play tomorrow and post coments.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails US Kitkat?-1401769873228.jpg  

My update is downloading now!

It's a subtle update, to say the least. Although the first thing that shows up is that they got rid of the annoying white tab in the middle of the screen for multi-window setup. Now you can just swipe sideways from off the screen.

Of course all the native icons in the status bar are now white. Not sure why they choose to do this but it doesn't hurt anything.

I haven't got the Wireless Printing going, but that seems almost redundant with Google Cloud Printing.

As for performance increase...transitions almost seem slower. But there was nothing wrong with the performance before so this is fine.

Too early to report on battery life, but with my usage (mainly for work and regular access to a charger) battery life was never an issue.

No problems at all in Honolulu other that writing to the card, which I was aware of.

Via my Note 3

So far it's been really good. Works just like my Note 3.0 phone. I wish the Samsung software, like action note and stuff like that would be available for the Note8.0.

712 meg update in progress in the US :-)

My Note 8 updated today too. Louisville KY area. I don't really see any major difference in the screens or functionality. I don't know what I expected but it's not much different. I was hoping for something cool and interesting, I guess. ;-)

The upgrade went well, no problems. It was quick and I didn't lose any data. If I didn't know it happened, I wouldn't know it by looking (without digging into the version settings).

Quote Originally Posted by weirdherald View Post
    My Note 8 updated today too. Louisville KY area. I don't really see any major difference in the screens or functionality. I don't know what I expected but it's not much different. I was hoping for something cool and interesting, I guess. ;-)

The upgrade went well, no problems. It was quick and I didn't lose any data. If I didn't know it happened, I wouldn't know it by looking (without digging into the version settings).
    I upgraded via Kies last night and don't see any major differences and everything seems to be working fine. The e-mail is a little different, selecting multiple e-mails no longer has the trash can option on the tool bar, I have to click the additional options (3 squares) to get delete to appear. One nice feature, when I have my bluetooth keyboard connected, the on screen keyboard doesn't keep popping up when I click to enter text. That is a nice improvement. One other addition, when you long press on the input method (left of the space bar) a new option appears with the smiley face (emoji) options, as well as the previous options for voice, various keyboards, etc.

I have a kindle fire I run n2aos on, updated to kitkat and as you observed, no difference I have run across so I'm not looking for much on the note 8 either. I was surprised they didn't make some cosmetic improvements of some sort but then android has been a good system for my so why tinker I guess :-)

My dsl is kinda klunky so it is still downloading.

Other than the card.

Sent via my Note 8

Since getting the new update my Note 8.0 serms to be running much smoother. I like it.

I received my update today, I live in Georgia!

Haven't been on the forums for a minute. Glad I stumbled upon this thread. Had No idea the Note 8 was getting the KitKat update. Thought we we're getting snuffed like some of my older Samsung tablets. Just checked. Downloading now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Boz

I've noticed a few things. First the good, battery consumption seems to be much better and the transitions between applications seem to be much smoother.
    Now the wierd, I have a Nexus 5 and the ART runtime helped performance greatly. I cannot seem to find that option on my Note.
    Anyone else find it?
    Tony DeLuce likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast