Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckr01
  • 1 Post By chuckr01
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    ScottGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Android 4.1.1, 4.0.3, 4.1

    Question Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

    So, I get the pop up warning about holding the back button to get the multi-screen tab thing on the left edge... but you hold the back button and no tab. ??? Anyone else having this problem? Or know how to get the multi-thingy back? This worked before the KitKat update.

    Thanks...

    ~ScottGeek.
  2. #2  
    rsmin's Avatar

    Posts
    291 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

    Default Re: Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

    Mine works fine. It's no longer on the left side. It's on the right and you no longer have the tab showing

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    ScottGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Android 4.1.1, 4.0.3, 4.1

    Default Re: Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsmin View Post
    Mine works fine. It's no longer on the left side. It's on the right and you no longer have the tab showing

    Sent from my GT-N5110 using AC Forums mobile app
    No tab and on the right of what? I look in under Settings -> Display-> and Multi window setting is grayed out and checked?

    Maybe I'm confused

    ~ScottGeek.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGeek View Post
    No tab and on the right of what? I look in under Settings -> Display-> and Multi window setting is grayed out and checked?

    Maybe I'm confused
    ~ScottGeek.
    When I hold the back button I get the pop-up and when I click OK the multi-window panel opens. To open it on any screen I flick from the right edge of the display (kind of a tricky motion, especially on the home screen, you have to come off the edge to avoid scrolling to the next home screen). My option for multi-window is not greyed out, this may be your problem. This was an issue I had with the upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. I had to do the dreaded factory reset to fix it but others that had the problem back then may have posted a better fix. Search for this problem with that upgrade and see if a better option finally surfaced.

    You might try this, it's a post from the Note 2 forum but the process should be similar since it is a Samsung device

    To clear the system cache (root not needed) do the following (it will NOT affect any personal data, it's only a temporary cache area used by the Android OS. Clearing it periodically can improve system performance):

    - With your Device off simultaneously press and hold Volume Up/Home/power buttons until you see Android System Recovery at the top of the screen and a green android laying down with a Red triangle above him in the center of the screen.
    - Scroll down using the Volume down button and Highlight "wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select
    - When it says Cache wipe complete at the bottom and "reboot system now" is highlight press the power button to reboot.
    ScottGeek likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    ScottGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Android 4.1.1, 4.0.3, 4.1

    Default Re: Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    When I hold the back button I get the pop-up and when I click OK the multi-window panel opens. To open it on any screen I flick from the right edge of the display (kind of a tricky motion, especially on the home screen, you have to come off the edge to avoid scrolling to the next home screen). My option for multi-window is not greyed out, this may be your problem. This was an issue I had with the upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. I had to do the dreaded factory reset to fix it but others that had the problem back then may have posted a better fix. Search for this problem with that upgrade and see if a better option finally surfaced.

    You might try this, it's a post from the Note 2 forum but the process should be similar since it is a Samsung device

    To clear the system cache (root not needed) do the following (it will NOT affect any personal data, it's only a temporary cache area used by the Android OS. Clearing it periodically can improve system performance):

    - With your Device off simultaneously press and hold Volume Up/Home/power buttons until you see Android System Recovery at the top of the screen and a green android laying down with a Red triangle above him in the center of the screen.
    - Scroll down using the Volume down button and Highlight "wipe cache partition" and press the power button to select
    - When it says Cache wipe complete at the bottom and "reboot system now" is highlight press the power button to reboot.
    Thanks... Yeap, tried all of that to stop short of the NUKE option... and Yeap... I finally had to do that Awful Factory Reset.... I will now spend the next few days rebuilding all of my settings... Oh Joy! Oh Rapture!

    On the plus side... Multi-window is not grayed out now... and the right-side swipe works.... and I have an empty Note 8... Apps are still downloading... I wish I wish there was a "Just Image My damn Android Tablet Without requiring Root" App

    I guess the trip to KitKat and losing my Multi-window... it was my turn this time... didn't have that problem when this went from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2.

    Anyway, thanks again for detailed post.

    ~ScottGeek
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGeek View Post
    Thanks... Yeap, tried all of that to stop short of the NUKE option... and Yeap... I finally had to do that Awful Factory Reset.... I will now spend the next few days rebuilding all of my settings... Oh Joy! Oh Rapture!

    On the plus side... Multi-window is not grayed out now... and the right-side swipe works.... and I have an empty Note 8... Apps are still downloading... I wish I wish there was a "Just Image My damn Android Tablet Without requiring Root" App

    I guess the trip to KitKat and losing my Multi-window... it was my turn this time... didn't have that problem when this went from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2.

    Anyway, thanks again for detailed post.

    ~ScottGeek
    Glad you got it going, I never found an alternative to the dreaded reset. I guess its a good time to do some housekeeping and get rid of the stuff you never used and clean up your home screens. There has to be a positive aspect, right? ��
    ScottGeek likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    ScottGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Android 4.1.1, 4.0.3, 4.1

    Default Re: Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    Glad you got it going, I never found an alternative to the dreaded reset. I guess its a good time to do some housekeeping and get rid of the stuff you never used and clean up your home screens. There has to be a positive aspect, right? ��
    You got it.... it's interesting to see what drops off when you get your google acct connected and wait for everything to reload... There a number of old apps that become "un-compatible" with KitKat.... Not many in my case... fun stuff...

    ~ScottGeek.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM
  2. Black screen
    By tetesandra in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM
  3. Locking Power Button with screen lock
    By UnKnowNtwo in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 12:49 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM
  5. Screen Lift
    By jfried8 in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions