Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What's new with 4.4.2?

    I don't see any major differences and everything seems to be working fine.

    Things I have noticed that are different:
    The e-mail is a little different, selecting multiple e-mails no longer has the trash can option on the tool bar, I have to click the additional options (3 squares) to get delete to appear.
    One nice feature, when I have my bluetooth keyboard connected, the on screen keyboard doesn't keep popping up when I click to enter text. That is a nice improvement.
    Note: I may have spoken too soon, this afternoon the on screen keyboard is popping up again while my bluetooth keyboard is connected. Darn, I don't know what was different when I first wrote this.
    One other addition, when you long press on the input method (left of the space bar) a new option appears with the smiley face (emoji) options, as well as the previous options for voice, various keyboards, etc.
    You also have the option for the handwriting input panel to float. I never found this option for anything but the keyboard before.

    Please share anything that you have uncovered, I'm sure things are hiding in this new release that have yet to be discovered and I find very little on Google relative to the Note 8 and 4.4.2. What I have found on YouTube was in a language I don't speak. One post showed turning multi-window apps into floating windows but I have no clue what he was saying, nor do I know if the US version will even do that.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    Hello, I usually lurk a bit but am going to speak up for once
    I upgraded last night.

    The main thing I noticed right away was that I can't scroll webpages by hovering the S-pen by the edges of the screen. This bums me out since I use this feature a lot.

    Wondering if anyone else has this problem. Any suggestions on how to bring the hover scrolling back?

    I also noticed that they've made some changes to the handwriting-to-text interface within the Samsung keyboard. I do use this a fair bit for journaling & notes, but haven't had a chance to try it out today. (Have always turned the tablet upside-down to not keep triggering the back button with my hand; design flaw but I don't mind too much since the handwriting to text was so good).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by limakilo View Post
    Hello, I usually lurk a bit but am going to speak up for once
    I upgraded last night.

    The main thing I noticed right away was that I can't scroll webpages by hovering the S-pen by the edges of the screen. This bums me out since I use this feature a lot.

    Wondering if anyone else has this problem. Any suggestions on how to bring the hover scrolling back?

    I also noticed that they've made some changes to the handwriting-to-text interface within the Samsung keyboard. I do use this a fair bit for journaling & notes, but haven't had a chance to try it out today. (Have always turned the tablet upside-down to not keep triggering the back button with my hand; design flaw but I don't mind too much since the handwriting to text was so good).
    My scrolling with the s-pen seems to work fine on internet sites. I did notice differences (good ones) in the s-note app, the handwriting to text seems more flexible but I'm not sure if it's different or something I hadn't discovered before. I need to play with it some more. No bad things noticed so far.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    Ugh. I wrote to Samsung and they recommended I do a factory reset. So I did, and still no scrolling w the pen.

    However, now that I've taken a better look, I see that the S-pen will scroll webpages in the stock Android browser. It will also move the home screens for me.

    Is your S-pen doing the hover scroll for apps like Gmail or the Chrome browser? Before I updated, it felt like I could hover scroll through all my usual apps, and now I can't.

    thanks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by limakilo View Post
    Ugh. I wrote to Samsung and they recommended I do a factory reset. So I did, and still no scrolling w the pen.

    However, now that I've taken a better look, I see that the S-pen will scroll webpages in the stock Android browser. It will also move the home screens for me.

    Is your S-pen doing the hover scroll for apps like Gmail or the Chrome browser? Before I updated, it felt like I could hover scroll through all my usual apps, and now I can't.

    thanks.
    It works with Gmail but not with Chrome. It doesn't work in the documents
    I tried either but I don't know if it ever did.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    pstellato73's Avatar

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    I did not get the upgrade yet. I tried a few times over the last few days. I'm in the US and have the wifi only version. Any ideas? Can I get it through kies?

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by pstellato73 View Post
    I did not get the upgrade yet. I tried a few times over the last few days. I'm in the US and have the wifi only version. Any ideas? Can I get it through kies?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I actually got my update with Kies before I saw people posting that it was coming out OTA. Give it a shot.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    New things I stumbled on today:
    I can stop the on-screen keyboard from popping up when I have my Bluetooth keyboard connected. When it is connected, if I pull down on the notifications bar and select choose input method while my Bluetooth keyboard is connected, an on/off toggle is displayed for 'use on-screen keyboard'. I don't know if this is new with 4.4.2, but it's new to me and I discovered it by accident after the upgrade when I was apparently the default until I rebooted and lost the setting. I have it set to off and it's holding now. When I turn off the Bluetooth keyboard the on-screen keyboard functions normally.
    The multi-screen function has two new features - you can set up presets of screen combinations. Once you have opened two sessions from the multi-screen toolbar, scroll to the bottom of the toolbar and three options appear. Edit works as it did before. Create will give you the option to create a new choice on the multi-screen options with the combination of sessions.
    Another multi-screen option is drag and drop which allows you to drag content from one window to the other (eg. drag a picture from the gallery to an e-mail, highlight text in a web page and drag it to an e-mail) .

    I'm pretty sure these functions are new with 4.4.2, if not, I never found them before. Is anything else hiding in this release?
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What's new with 4.4.2?

    Well, still no pen hover scrolling for me in Gmail or Dolphin browser, two apps in which I used to use this feature a lot. But I guess that is a glitch that happened just to me.

    Thanks for sharing re your findings w multi-screen, I will have to try those out.

Similar Threads

  1. Is Waze the best traffic/navigation app? If not what is?
    By Bayarea13 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 06:08 PM
  2. issues with kit kat staying at jellybean 4.3
    By mlbyanks11 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 03:33 PM
  3. Multi-Screen What Happened after KitKat?
    By ScottGeek in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 04:07 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 01:55 PM
  5. problems with native email app since upgrading to OS 4.4.2
    By klhprice in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions