Known Issues with KitKat Update to US WiFi Note 8?

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering whether to pull the trigger on the 4.4.2 update to the US WiFi version of the Note 8. So far based on reading posts here, I have identified two potential issues:

#1 - Some sort of problem writing to the [microSD?] card - but no details of how the problem manifests itself.

#2 - A change to the way the handwriting recognition entry popup window is handled that some people have objected to because they feel it adversely affects their ability to fluidly make recognizable handwritten notes on the fly.

Can anyone shed more light on #1 above? Are their any other known issues with the upgrade (objective and subjective) beyond the two I have listed here? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T217S using AC Forums mobile app

tpiha

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
On #1, indeed KitKat prevents third party programs, such as FolderSync and ES3 file manager, from writing to the SD card. Annoying from Google, as their own My Files program works or Gallery (but way inferior to ES3).

The third party apps still work on the internal card, which makes all security explanations sound hollow. The best explanation I have heard is that Google wants you to put your data into their cloud services for business reasons.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The first is a universal change to the file structure and what apps can and can't do. The second is they have changed it to be like it is on the Note 3 so it will automatically go to the handwriting if you have the pen detached and in my opinion does a better job at recognizing the written characters.

Posted via Android Central App