"DEVICE OVERHEATING" Message and Apps Closing

intelkw

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, anyone else been having issues with a "Device Overheating" message and the tablet closing all active apps? No matter how few or many apps I have running, several times a day all my apps are closed and I get the Device Overheating warning message. Physically the device doesn't seem warm at all. Also, I didn't start experiencing the problem until the Kitkat update.

Finally called Samsung and after having me do a system re-boot it's still doing it. So I'm shipping it off tomorrow to be repaired. Just curious if anyone else had the issue and if it was resolved with Samsung.Thanks in advance!

singersorel

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi, anyone else been having issues with a "Device Overheating" message and the tablet closing all active apps? No matter how few or many apps I have running, several times a day all my apps are closed and I get the Device Overheating warning message. Physically the device doesn't seem warm at all. Also, I didn't start experiencing the problem until the Kitkat update.

Finally called Samsung and after having me do a system re-boot it's still doing it. So I'm shipping it off tomorrow to be repaired. Just curious if anyone else had the issue and if it was resolved with Samsung.Thanks in advance!

Yep, I'm having the same problem on my galaxy note 8.0. I didn't call Samsung yet, I figured I'd check if this was a known issue. It apparently is. I'll see what they say.

i3droid

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I was just curious as to what happened after Samsung "fixed" your note 8.0 as I am having the same issue when we are watching YouTube videos. If my kids use it for longer than 1 hour it starts to flicker (screen) and we either have to put it in front of the fan or turn it off completely as it says that its overheating. It does feel warm on one side so I don't know but I would love to have a fix for this.

tarrumpit

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I also had this issue which started after I upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2. My Note 8 has been back to Samsung twice, the first time they simply flashed the software to reset it but it kept happening. The second time Samsung diagnosed a faulty battery which they replaced under warranty. So far (one week later) I have not had the 'device overheating' messages.
My advice would be to get it sent back to them and to keep pushing for a fix.

mlacla22

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I also had this issue which started after I upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2. My Note 8 has been back to Samsung twice, the first time they simply flashed the software to reset it but it kept happening. The second time Samsung diagnosed a faulty battery which they replaced under warranty. So far (one week later) I have not had the 'device overheating' messages.
My advice would be to get it sent back to them and to keep pushing for a fix.

This could be what is wrong with mine. Have been getting the overheating message randomly, usually playing games. But if I leave it on the charger.. I can play for hours without getting the message once.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8162910)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. When the "Device Overheating" sign appears, my "Battery Doctor" app, shows which apps have been running in the background - there are usually more than 40 apps running by themselves! I have to push the "Fix" button to turn them off and then my screen shows that the temperature has dropped by 1-3 degrees. However, my question is, WHY are those apps running in the background? Can I do anything to stop them? They are not apps I would like to delete, but I would like to know when they start.

dtomkins

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
new to forums so excuses if I do something wrong. I had same overheating message on my tablet. took it in to Samsung repair centre here in wa. they are now telling me it has been "rooted" or "routed" and will not fix it unless I pay. also they will not return it unless I pay a "service fee". just thought you ought to know !

mark_mark_mark

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I was just curious as to what happened after Samsung "fixed" your note 8.0 as I am having the same issue when we are watching YouTube videos. If my kids use it for longer than 1 hour it starts to flicker (screen) and we either have to put it in front of the fan or turn it off completely as it says that its overheating. It does feel warm on one side so I don't know but I would love to have a fix for this.

Having the same issue here..

NJS5

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I had the same overheating problem and a shut down that would not power up again along with a screen overlay after factory reset after upgrading to Kitkat.I visted a Samsung tech who stated a root would fix the screen overlay..however..you will lose all factory warrantees. So, I called Samsung who said they were not aware of this problem. It has not been reported to them Sent my Note 8 to them. Received it back 2 days later..fixed..cost $199!!!
Works fine now. The invoice stated " new data link cable, and parts and labor. "
Using a non issued or approved Samsung charger Symtoms include:
No power
Power cycles (Device powering on and off )
Charging problems
Flickering.
I sent the cable that can with the Note 8!
Hope this helps you avoid a costly repair.

Last edited:

Ken Oshiro

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok, i'm having the same issues also with device overheating. I've performed a factory reset with default apps and still same problem. This basically renders the device useless. I am wondering how much it costs to send it in for repair and if its even worth it to fix. Extremely disappointed here and this experience will make me a SamSung Hater and switch over to Apple's iPad instead.

ganofo

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site

Mine does the same. I had added a memory card. I was told to format it, which I did, made no difference, neither did removing it. Frustrating fault that nobody, including Samsung tech dept don't appear to be able to solve.

Last edited by a moderator:

frescofadhel

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
i had that problem with my samsung galaxy s3 neo . it pause charging and whenever i try to open an app it shows that message " unable to open this application. your device is overheating" but actually it's not . there is a damage in the temperature sensor because of water. i've been searching for a solution in the internet . i put the motherboard in rice, i dried it with air-drier but it doesn't work .but finally i found the solution and it works 100000% . water causes mineral building on the mother board which disrupt the phone functions.so we need to clean it . and finally i found the solution , all you need is alcohol and teeth-brush , clean the motherboard with the alcohol using the brush .

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon