Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "DEVICE OVERHEATING" Message and Apps Closing

Hi, anyone else been having issues with a "Device Overheating" message and the tablet closing all active apps? No matter how few or many apps I have running, several times a day all my apps are closed and I get the Device Overheating warning message. Physically the device doesn't seem warm at all. Also, I didn't start experiencing the problem until the Kitkat update.

Finally called Samsung and after having me do a system re-boot it's still doing it. So I'm shipping it off tomorrow to be repaired. Just curious if anyone else had the issue and if it was resolved with Samsung.Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    23,843 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: "DEVICE OVERHEATING" Message and Apps Closing

Not sure what that could be. Let us know what happens.

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by intelkw View Post
    Hi, anyone else been having issues with a "Device Overheating" message and the tablet closing all active apps? No matter how few or many apps I have running, several times a day all my apps are closed and I get the Device Overheating warning message. Physically the device doesn't seem warm at all. Also, I didn't start experiencing the problem until the Kitkat update.

Finally called Samsung and after having me do a system re-boot it's still doing it. So I'm shipping it off tomorrow to be repaired. Just curious if anyone else had the issue and if it was resolved with Samsung.Thanks in advance!
    Yep, I'm having the same problem on my galaxy note 8.0. I didn't call Samsung yet, I figured I'd check if this was a known issue. It apparently is. I'll see what they say.

Same here. At those times the device does get real hot even when all I'm doing is surfing the net.

I was just curious as to what happened after Samsung "fixed" your note 8.0 as I am having the same issue when we are watching YouTube videos. If my kids use it for longer than 1 hour it starts to flicker (screen) and we either have to put it in front of the fan or turn it off completely as it says that its overheating. It does feel warm on one side so I don't know but I would love to have a fix for this.

I also had this issue which started after I upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2. My Note 8 has been back to Samsung twice, the first time they simply flashed the software to reset it but it kept happening. The second time Samsung diagnosed a faulty battery which they replaced under warranty. So far (one week later) I have not had the 'device overheating' messages.
    My advice would be to get it sent back to them and to keep pushing for a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by tarrumpit View Post
    I also had this issue which started after I upgraded to Kitkat 4.4.2. My Note 8 has been back to Samsung twice, the first time they simply flashed the software to reset it but it kept happening. The second time Samsung diagnosed a faulty battery which they replaced under warranty. So far (one week later) I have not had the 'device overheating' messages.
    My advice would be to get it sent back to them and to keep pushing for a fix.
    This could be what is wrong with mine. Have been getting the overheating message randomly, usually playing games. But if I leave it on the charger.. I can play for hours without getting the message once.

Posted via Android Central App

Mine is doing the same thing. Including the flickering screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

Did anyone figure out what the issue is?

Thanks!

I have the same problem. When the "Device Overheating" sign appears, my "Battery Doctor" app, shows which apps have been running in the background - there are usually more than 40 apps running by themselves! I have to push the "Fix" button to turn them off and then my screen shows that the temperature has dropped by 1-3 degrees. However, my question is, WHY are those apps running in the background? Can I do anything to stop them? They are not apps I would like to delete, but I would like to know when they start.