Note 8.0 Multi-user accounts

ozaz

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to get a Galaxy Note tablet to try out Android on a tablet for the first time. One of the features I'd like the tablet to have is multi-user accounts.
I know the Note 10.1 2014 edition has multi-user accounts, but its not clear to me if this is also the case on the Note 8.0

Could someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It should since my Galaxy Tab 3 7" does have the multiuser account since I got it last year with Android 4.2.2.

Sent From Another Galaxy

ozaz

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that Note 8 did not get multi-user support when it was first updated to 4.2.2 (Samsung withheld that functionality from the Note 8 for some reason). However, that was a while ago so I'm wondering if it has been added in a subsequent update.

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I just updated my Note 8 to 4.4.2 yesterday, and it now has the option for multiple users - I was on 4.2.2. and it did NOT have the multi-user option then.

ozaz

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I just updated my Note 8 to 4.4.2 yesterday, and it now has the option for multiple users - I was on 4.2.2. and it did NOT have the multi-user option then.

That's great. Thanks for confirming. Have you tried setting up a second user to check that it works?

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That's great. Thanks for confirming. Have you tried setting up a second user to check that it works?

I haven't really played with it, as I don't need multiple users set up on mine. However, in order to answer your question, I just tried creating a "restricted profile" user, and it appears to work. Although, at first after I did it, I wasn't sure how to switch to that new user. I did a Google search about how it works, and some of the instructions I saw said that it was supposed to show the currently logged in user as an "avatar" in the pull-down settings menu at the top of the screen. Supposedly you could touch the logged in avatar and it would take you back to the lock screen where you could then change users. Note, that this was for multi-user in general, not specific to the Note 8. I don't see that on the Note 8, and I see no EASY way to tell who is logged in at the moment - other than on the lock screen, it looks like the currently logged in user's icon is bigger than the other.

Hope that helps!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The way it works is:
Press the power button, to get the screen dark/off, but don't turn the device completely off.

Than press the home or power button you'll see the multiple users.

Press on the one you want.
Unlock the screen.

That's it!

Sent From The 5th Galaxy Inside The Time Vortex.