Lines in Note 8 screen

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So this happened lastnight.... Didnt drop. No hard jarring of any kind. Just happened. Was in use at the time just google casting from chromecast when it happened. Screen does appear to be getting darker though. Any thoughts on why this happened? I did do a factory reset but I didnt think that would fix anything anyway.

Attachments

• gnote8.jpg
    gnote8.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 6

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ouch... looks like hardware damage to me. Might have happened due to overheating or maybe humidity in the air? Sometimes even old water accidents just take time to rust the insides enough to make them fail.

If you reboot your tablet, do the lines appear at the boot logo as well? If they do, it's definitely hardware. If they only appear after the OS has finished loading, then there might still be hope in this being a software bug (but I really don't think it is).

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
appears at all time. At boot and all. does change at times when i put some pressure on it, it slightly changes the lines. Just saw my online purchase from best buy 20 months ago $432 down the drain lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, the pressure and it changes thing does confirm it's hardware. You might be able to replace the screen or just weigh your options and see if a new tablet is in order. Maybe an used one? You can also sell that one for parts if you decide not to fix it. Or if you just want to use it as a Chromecast controller and initiate the streams from there, it might not be that bad to even use with the faulty screen as long as you can see what you're choosing to stream and control.