Why won't my Note 8 charge or boot?

A

AC Question

Note 8 wont charge or boot, fust freezes on samsunng and flickers!

Hi,
My Galaxy Note 8 was fine yesterday turned off on 12% and when I went to turn it on today it just flickered on the Samsung loading page.
I tried to charge it but it just flickers on the battery charging screen. I tried leaving it on charge for a while but same issue, during one reboot it complained about not being able to mount, and didn't flicker whilst on this error page, but then after a restart went back to flickering.
A month or so ago it had a couple of issues charging due to battery temp. to low. but apart from that its been OK. Is the battery dead, or is it more sinister?
Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 8 wont charge or boot, fust freezes on samsunng and flickers!

Welcome to Android Central! That sounds like more than a battery problem--I would suspect something worse going on with the motherboard.

Beconn

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply P.

Today I turned it on and got a sreen with text offering reboot, reload from ext. storage, factory reset and some others I can't remember. I tried reboot but no luck, so the next time I chose factory reset - This seemed to solve the issue, It turned on as new and went though the registering pages, and was charging. It got up to 40% and now bleeps with the error "charging paused - Battery temperature to low"

Is the motherboard likely to be the cause?
How would I know?

Any answers or suggestions welcome,

Cheers.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The reason why I think it's more likely a failing motherboard is that a failing battery shouldn't cause screen flicker or failure to mount a partition. At most, a failing battery might cause a bootloop, where it tries to boot up, then shuts off, then tries to boot up again, then shuts off, because it doesn't have quite enough charge to complete the boot process. The failure in the motherboard might be causing some erroneous interface with the battery charging circuits, giving you that low battery temp error.