Samsung Galaxy s8 Normal, Edge, and Active

PhoneDude8

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I would not buy a phone with a foldable screen, I would try using it for a bit, but I think that is a bit too far. I like the solid and curved screens.

PhoneDude8

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
That would be pretty darn amazing if they could pull it off and keep it in the same price range. However, I wouldn't expect to see a dramatic change on a flagship device before Samsung was convinced the masses would buy it.

Here's what I expect from the 8 line (processor/ram/battery/camera upgrades apply to all)

S8 - 5.1 inch, 64 GB on-board, SD slot, metallic or plastic textured back, shatter-resistant glass
S8 Edge - 5.5 inch, 64 GB on-board, SD slot, metallic or plastic textured back, some type of strengthened or flexible display
S8 Active - 5.5 inch, 64 GB on-board, SD slot, sealed design, some type of strengthened or flexible display
Note 8 - 5.7 inch, 128 GB on-board, SD slot, metallic or plastic textured back, a flat screen design with shatter resistant glass or flexible curved display.

32 GB variants are the norm now, but why stop there? In a few years, 64GB will be the norm and then 128. Is it really that much more expensive to just throw the storage capacity in?

You forgot, Active, available on Verizon, AT&T, and T - Mobile. :p

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You forgot, Active, available on Verizon, AT&T, and T - Mobile. :p

Oh for sure. It's time for that exclusive BS to stop. Actually, for all devices in general. I bet there are a ton of people on other carriers that would enjoy an "Active" device from Samsung. It being a carrier exclusive is an attempt to draw others over to their service. People are going to roll with the carrier that suits them best, whatever device they have or will buy. At the very least, with carrier exclusives, the manufacturer could sell it unlocked for perhaps $20 or $30 more and agree to kick some of it back to the carrier. Everyone wins, but the consumer pays a little bit more.

Whatever device you want, on whichever carrier you want. (Barring the technological hurdles)

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you think Samsung will go all out on the S8?

But I am not switching carriers for one phone.
Never can tell... AT&T might swing you a deal if you switch... providing of course, if their service would be good for you... coverage, cost, etc.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Do you think Samsung will go all out on the S8?

Haha well, this is the speculations and rumours forum after all... I reckon the fiery entry of the note will have no bearing on the S8, they would have a separate team working on that I imagine. In any case, I'm hanging for the S8, I've had the galaxy devices since S2 through to current S7...

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8 4k display - nonsense

I like a high res screen but I'm with you on the battery thing. The annoying thing it that the tech exists for amazing batteries (that don't catch on fire)....
I thought there was some talk about the res changing, depending on use to save the battery...?

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8 "Full Screen"?

They could implement what BlackBerry 10 had, which was swiping up from the bottom of the screen to view your 'current open' apps and then swipe left the return to your home screen. This would not require a home button.

Keen to see what happens.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: S8 timeframe?

This should be the timeframe. If Samsung is smart, they won't rush it.

If the they're competing with the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, they won't rush it, so maybe later in the year. With the N7 discontinued and bad press, they need to up their game. So no rush.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site

So a good 6 months ...at least. I think we are all in the situation now of what to get? I don't want to go back to iPhone, but getting an S7Edge for 6 to 8 months...ughgh. this just sucks

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a used S7 Edge to hold me over until the next Note, or whatever Samsung is going to call it. Samsung has left many of us scrambling.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

I hope samsung does not rush the S8, but if they do i hope they dont make the same mistakes with whatever was causing the battery to over heat in the Note 7.
This sucks... I was hoping to get another Note 7 after i returned my first one. UGh... i do not like LG phones, but i guess i will have to look at the V20. I had an s7 edge it was good, but i liked the Note 7 much better. Maybe a used s7 edge to hold me over... dont really want to go back to the note 5.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a used S7 Edge to hold me over until the next Note, or whatever Samsung is going to call it. Samsung has left many of us scrambling.

Not defending Samsung at all as they should have identified the proper issue at recall 1 before replacing. Though hindsight is obvious 20/20.

However, am sure between gov agencies, media & lawyers, Samsung did not have much choice.
Scary to imagine how hellish life is working at Samsung HQ right now.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Not defending Samsung at all as they should have identified the proper issue at recall 1 before replacing. Though hindsight is obvious 20/20.

However, am sure between gov agencies, media & lawyers, Samsung did not have much choice.
Scary to imagine how hellish life is working at Samsung HQ right now.

I cannot even imagine working at Samsung right now. Working for a carrier has to be bad enough.