Note 8: What are your dream specs?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you could put together your dream specs for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (or whatever it ends up being called)... what would they be?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A Note 7 with enough space, better placement, whatever the problem was, for the battery to stay cool. A larger battery would be nice, but I could do with 3500mAh, but it should be replaceable. 2 16mp cameras. Front speaker output (the bottom output is annoying when you use it for speakerphone). (The same size and layout as the 3 would be a real bonus, so I could keep my Otterboxes.)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Flat screen, get rid of the edges. 5.7" is fine, closer to 6" is better.
SnapDragon 831 or whatever the pro version of the 830 is going to be.
High quality DAC.
Industry leading display.
64 GB base with 128 or 256 GB option, no microSD slot.
3000 mAh or higher non-removable battery, battery must easily last all day every day.
USB 3.1 Type C with PowerDelivery, no Qualcomm QuickCharge of any kind.
Single 12MP 4:3 camera, they're already good at cameras, just keep that trend going.
Ship with Android Oreo, support seamless updates, support all minimum security standards, support all minimum standards for Peeps
Get rid of off screen buttons, support navigation APIs fully.
Support DayDream out of the box. Gear VR is a waste of everyone's time.
Stay with the IP68 - people seem to like that.
Get rid of the all glass design. Plastic or Metal are both better, if you want to keep wireless charging, plastic is easier to do that with.
Slightly increase both top and bottom bezels so there is somewhere to hold the device. Get rid of all logos from the front of the device, get rid of any visible indication of a FPS if it's staying on the front. Flush with the display please.
Dual front facing stereo speakers, top and bottom.
S-Pen obviously needs to be there, it's already made some awesome strides, just keep up the momentum.
One SKU, no carrier versions - one device that works on all networks.
Get rid of the iris scanner, most of touchwiz, including GraceUI, 90% of your bloatware and all that other nonsense. Keep It Simple.
Do. Not. Include. Any. Form. of. Any. Cleaner. or any type of RamMaster or whatever all that junk is. CleanMaster is Malware, not a feature. You installed it on some Note 7 devices and it was totally BS. Don't do that again. Making anti consumer moves like that will get you taken out of the game.

Simple list, right?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
High quality DAC.
3000 mAh or higher non-removable battery, battery must easily last all day every day.
Single 12MP 4:3 camera, they're already good at cameras, just keep that trend going.
Ship with Android Oreo, support seamless updates, support all minimum security standards, support all minimum standards for Peeps
Get rid of the all glass design. Plastic or Metal are both better, if you want to keep wireless charging, plastic is easier to do that with.
Slightly increase both top and bottom bezels so there is somewhere to hold the device. Get rid of all logos from the front of the device, get rid of any visible indication of a FPS if it's staying on the front. Flush with the display please.
S-Pen obviously needs to be there, it's already made some awesome strides, just keep up the momentum.
Get rid of the iris scanner, most of touchwiz, including GraceUI, 90% of your bloatware and all that other nonsense. Keep It Simple.
Do. Not. Include. Any. Form. of. Any. Cleaner. or any type of RamMaster or whatever all that junk is. CleanMaster is Malware, not a feature. You installed it on some Note 7 devices and it was totally BS. Don't do that again. Making anti consumer moves like that will get you taken out of the game.

Simple list, right?

I actually liked the edges on the note7 so I wouldn't mind it being like that on the note8. Barely noticed them. Liked not seeing the bezel like a flat phone. It's the s6 edge plus etc edge i didn't like. Way too edged for me. But if they do flat note8 then i want a all flat note8, not a back curved and front flat like they did with note5. Don't get me wrong note5 a good phone and i can hold it better than i could the s6 edge plus but i prefer either both sides of phone curved or both sides flat.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
High quality DAC.

Simple list, right?

This sounds kind of like ... a better version of the Pixel with an S-Pen?

Anyway:

I'd be happy with a Note 7 that doesn't explode, honestly.
Also, especially if Samsung had the "courage" to offer one SKU, as you said.
With the Note 7, at least they had gone the route of having identical band support between models.

If they can't have that, I would like to have an unlocked model like the S7/S7 Edge in EVERY colorway Samsung offers (hopefully, the same as the Note 7, with one or two more). At the very least, the software needs to be united between all models. None of the mods Verizon should be allowed (changing up Grace UI just so that they could "consolidate Galaxy phone support", removing Samsung cloud, and the other features in the stock Samsung software).

What I'd like to see:

The best processor on the market at the time.
Most recent version of Android available at the time.
The best camera in line with what Samsung usually offers (loved what they did on the 2016 Samsung phones)
USB 3.1
64 - 128GB internal storage, expandable storage via microSD (OR Samsung's new micro-UFS cards)
Every other feature that was on the Note 7, except the BS battery. Would like to have a 3600 mAh battery or more, as was in the S7 Edge.

I'm kind of worried that this will be like the 2015 Samsung phones. Samsung is going to radically change something and delete a feature I really like. And I think the screen/front area is going to radically change, alongside the S8. Hoping that they don't go "all internal storage" again. I don't use the cloud except for certain Google apps and contacts. A phone would need to have 512GB internal storage before I sign off on that.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Note 7 +
1. A larger curved version.
2. 6GB minimum, more preferred. More than whatever the S8 comes with.
3. Bigger battery. A little thicker is ok.
4. Latest & greatest Qualcomm. Clocked faster than the S8.

Ace Red

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
All those ideas are great.
IR blaster a must.
I really liked my original note edge. Not what they did with the s7 or note 7.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
No boom ain't good enough? Okay, how about just add the IR blaster and give me some faster processor. The rest is pretty much a wash with everything out there. A little better camera wouldn't be off the table, the V20 is just sick on the camera side of things.

theshaz

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
OK - my dream list for the Note 8 - All the key features of the Note 7 (Minus the battery issue of course)......
  • Eject-able battery like the SD/SIM card can be ejected but sealed for IP68 water resistance
  • Better, faster and more efficient CPU. Smaller mm chip design, less heat generated.
  • 4K screen for the Gear VR but resolution adjustable like the N7 to save battery when High Res is not needed.
  • Front Speakers

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Note 7 +
1. A larger curved version.
2. 6GB minimum, more preferred. More than whatever the S8 comes with.
3. Bigger battery. A little thicker is ok.
4. Latest & greatest Qualcomm. Clocked faster than the S8.

Interesting. A 'Note edge'?

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
4k display
Newest snapdragon, Exynos CPU
Removable Battery
24/7 pixellike support
Reduced s pen input lag
More premium S pen materials
Make all three of screen buttons physical
Non curved design

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd be happy with the same features that the Note 7 had. It goes without saying that they'd have to make sure that the battery was protected from catching fire. Frankly, I thought the Note 7 was a superior phone in every way. Of course, I'm not the techno-geek that many are and I'm sure that they have better ideas than I do.