Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Release Date

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any insights into this? Regardless of what it's called, when should we expect the next Note to hit the shelves?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly have no idea. But I hope the Note 6 (yes I truly mean 6! Karma for skipping it!) is ultimately released at the normal October 2017 schedule. Let it simmer and cook to a stable completion after what was the Note 7 fiasco! :)

haha spread the good karma!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
A couple of you have ripped on James for this post because there is no question mark and it was even called clickbait.

I do not agree and I appreciate James creating posts for Note fans to help keep us engaged.

Thanks James for the post.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Given the time it takes to design, source parts, and manufacture a phone model, I cannot imagine the [insert name here for Note 8] being launched before the normal cycle. Conjecture is that the rush to get the 7 out might have had something to do with the failures, and if there is any possibility of that being true the very last thing Sammy should be doing is trying to rush the next model out the door even faster...

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I am going to guess they announce it in early August. That's when they had the "Unpacked" event this year. No reason to think it won't be around the same time. I'm going to say Aug 18th, 2017 for a release date. That's perfect for me because that is payday LOL.

It will most definitely be before the iPhone8 launch.

As far as releasing early -- I doubt it.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Note 1 released October 2011
Iphone 2 released June 29, 2007

Note 2 released September 26, 2012 (Wed) (11 months later)
Iphone 3 released July 11, 2008

Note 3 released September 25, 2013 (Wed) (12 months later)
Iphone 4 released June 24, 2010

Note 4 released 17 October, 2014 (Fri) (13 months later )
Iphone 5 released September 12, 2012

Note 5 released August 21, 2015 (Fri) (10 Months later)
Iphone 6 released September 19, 2014

Note 7 released August 19, 2016 (Fri) (12 Months after the Note 5)
Iphone 7 released September 16, 2016

Compared to the Note 5, the Note 7 fell well within the usual development cycle that Samsung had maintained since the initial release of the Note series.

August 18 2017 falls on a Friday
If Samsung stays with their release cycle of the past couple of Notes, then that does seem like a reasonable date to target. If they play it safe by having additonal battery and final testing of the phone they have about three weeks to spare to still beat the Iphone 8 to market in mid September.

It also depends on the reception to the Galaxy S8 - So what happens in March will play a part.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I cant wait. I like the v20 but i miss my note. Debating selling my v20 to get a note 5. Not having the stock apps that i used to use on a daily in annoying.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I cant wait. I like the v20 but i miss my note. Debating selling my v20 to get a note 5. Not having the stock apps that i used to use on a daily in annoying.
I tried... I truly tried going back to my Note 5 but I just could not get used to the (lack of) battery life compared to the Note 7. I ended up with a 4000 mAh Galaxy S7 Active - lasts forever but talk about bored!

isaac lee ishida

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
If Note 8 to exist this year, it will be my first android phone. But according to rumors, the possibility Note 8 will not exist is 60%. But I really hope Note 8 will exist in 2017.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If Note 8 to exist this year, it will be my first android phone. But according to rumors, the possibility Note 8 will not exist is 60%. But I really hope Note 8 will exist in 2017.
I, as well Isaac - aside from the battery fire issue, the Note 7 was the BEST phone I have ever owned! It killed me to have to return it and move to something else. I really hope Samsung listens to the MANY Note 1,2,3,4,5,7 Followers and continues the Model into the future!!!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
A lot of different rumors but the latest I've heard... a 5" S8 and an 6" S8 and with this video below heard the models might have an S-Pen option for both variants and no S-Pen cylo to hold the pen... it would be a loose accessory.

I like the idea of S-Pen being available on the 5" variant because if the 6" phone was bigger than the Note 7 then I wouldn't be as interested in it... I don't like phablets but I like phones in the 5"-5.5" size.

I don't like the idea that the phone wouldnt have a cylo to insert and store the pen within the phone. Having to deal with storing it separately in pocket or a special case to hold it... not a very elegant solution.

And with rumors of S8 release being pushed back to around April... I was willing to wait until February but may not wait at this point. The Note 7 sounded like the perfect phone to try. The S8 I bet will be a monster but I'm not as excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoWt_Y0VTQY&t=61s

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
A lot of different rumors but the latest I've heard... a 5" S8 and an 6" S8 and with this video below heard the models might have an S-Pen option for both variants and no S-Pen cylo to hold the pen... it would be a loose accessory.

I like the idea of S-Pen being available on the 5" variant because if the 6" phone was bigger than the Note 7 then I wouldn't be as interested in it... I don't like phablets but I like phones in the 5"-5.5" size.

I don't like the idea that the phone wouldnt have a cylo to insert and store the pen within the phone. Having to deal with storing it separately in pocket or a special case to hold it... not a very elegant solution.

And with rumors of S8 release being pushed back to around April... I was willing to wait until February but may not wait at this point. The Note 7 sounded like the perfect phone to try. The S8 I bet will be a monster but I'm not as excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoWt_Y0VTQY&t=61s

It probably doesn't have the spen compartment because that was not in the original design plans. When the Note 7 was being nixed back in Oct they probably were already pretty far into the design of the s8 and had no intentions of having a pen with it. Then with the Note 7 recall they probably want to add a pen now in order to retain or win back some of the Note 7 users. Far more easier to simply add the software for it than totally redesigning the phone again to hold the spen.

I would buy the S8 Edge or larger version or whatever they call it as long as they don't go hog wild on the price and want like $900 bucks for the thing and if they don't remove the SD slot. If they remove the SD slot then it's just like the iphone then except cost more.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
...and without the S-Pen Compartment, I'm out - if I have to figure out somewhere to carry the pen? Forget it... the pen would be lost the first week I had it, for sure! They'd better still be coming out with one actual Note body or they've just lost me. I mean, I could carry a stylus right now with my S7 Active to help out with some of my Apps... but I don't - because I'd lose it... it's inconvenient! Hey Samsung... I hope your reading guys!

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
When the Note 8 comes out, I'll buy a used LG V20. No phone is worth $900 or a $1,000 or $500 or $600 more than a relatively new used V20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith