Foldable vs one or two sided screens

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Read Note 8 might be available in a Foldable screen or a design where both front and back are screen, not sure if I'm crazy about either personally. Of course sometimes you need to see it in action before you can judge.

I'm hoping they don't try to hard to wow everyone and end up giving us something that gets wrong what they already nailed with the Note 7 design.

From what I've read and mock images, looks like the S8 and Edge 8 may be more similar to the Note 7 design minus a pen. I like the pen, but don't need it or use it enough to get a Frankenstein's monster of a phone if they push an innovative but awkward designed Note 8.

I guess as we hear more, these design paths could be the next best thing since sliced, but who knows. It's going to be an annoying wait without our Note 7s and the Note 8 release, or for enough pre-release information if some of us want the Note 8. Especially if the S8 and Edge 8 look amazing when they come out, will make waiting for the Note 8 excruciating.

What do some of you think?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There has already been a phone with a double screen. The Yota phone had a regular screen on one side and an E-Ink on the other. If Samsung were to do that it might be interesting to see how that fares.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't know. I kinda think Sammy won't do anything too off their beaten path. Given the events of '16 they may want to play it relatively safe. Be attractive but not too risky.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I did see a random photo on social media that had a foldable Samsung device. I don't know how I'd feel about it. And double sided seems like something I'd break too easily! But I agree with you, OP: these are probably design innovations that we really need to see in action before we can judge their efficacy or likeability.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Like GD up there mentioned, there was a Yota phone that had a e-ink display on the back of the device to be used as a sort of notification/widget panel. If there IS a second screen, use a low/no power tech like e-ink and have it do notifications, clock, weather widget, etc then it would at least be useful and not some trick gimmick.

But I still don't think they are going to get too fancy or crazy... it's not their style. They are iterative... S begats Note begats S... and I don't think they are going to abandon the current design language. The S7 was a resounding success and the Note WOULD have been had they not tried to get too cute with the tight packaging.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't see Samsung going with a foldable or dual type display with the Note series, especially after the issues they had with the Note 7! Instead I think they will double down and produce a refined version of a Note 7 that's been tested to here and back again for safety. They really can't afford anything less at this point. If they're successful with that then maybe we'll see some risk taking designs going forward. Not that I'm a fan of such anyway, just give me a Note 4 type device with a 6" flat screen and I'd be a very happy camper! :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
What do some of you think?

I think you have some innovative ideas there, and things that Sammy may explore in the future. This year? I think they are going to lick their wounds, make whatever changes are needed to the Note 7 to make it not go kaboom, maybe add a small neato feature here and there, and launch a minor iteration with the vast majority of their time spent making darned sure the battery keeps all the electrons contained safely within.

Personally, I plan on waiting on the [insert new name here] until it's been on the market for a couple months if I jump at all. My Note 4 is still keeping me relatively happy - especially because I can go for that new battery life feeling as often as I need.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This rumor has been around for about 2 years.

Phones have no reason to change much in design, they work pretty well as is. The Moto with the clip on accessories is trying to advertise that their phone is different, but it's basically the same with accessories to get more money from the user.

I don't see Samsung doing much different in light of what happened, except a slightly larger phone then the Note 7.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I feel this is because Samsung needs a win. And given how iffy their reputation is, they're going to need to give S7 owners a reason to upgrade. The same ole, same ole, isn't going to do it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I can't see Samsung going with a foldable or dual type display with the Note series, especially after the issues they had with the Note 7! Instead I think they will double down and produce a refined version of a Note 7 that's been tested to here and back again for safety. They really can't afford anything less at this point. If they're successful with that then maybe we'll see some risk taking designs going forward. Not that I'm a fan of such anyway, just give me a Note 4 type device with a 6" flat screen and I'd be a very happy camper! :)

That is why I got the V20. Large, and flat screen along with IR blaster. No spen but similar in size to Note 4 and does similar stuff. I miss the AMOLED screen though and I still got my S7 edge I'm tempted to use for the better screen but the V20 seems to fly faster and have less lag. The Note 4 was a great device. Had all the features. Removable batter, IR blaster micro SD slot and all.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I feel just keep things simple.

But that being said, without some risk, there will never be any reward and first to market. Maybe play it a lite safe and start the foldable stuff with tablets and if it's a success, slowly introduce it to smartphones. The S range is Samsung bread and butter and I wouldn't mess with it touch until the market is happy with a completely new design. :)

A droid a day, keep the apple away.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I feel just keep things simple.

But that being said, without some risk, there will never be any reward and first to market. Maybe play it a lite safe and start the foldable stuff with tablets and if it's a success, slowly introduce it to smartphones. The S range is Samsung bread and butter and I wouldn't mess with it touch until the market is happy with a completely new design. :)

A droid a day, keep the apple away.
You know, I hope one day to see a Desktop version become foldable at various sizes being Tablet, Laptop, then Smartphone. Now that would truly be epic! No more buying a desktop, a tablet, laptop, And a smartphone. It would be all combined into one. If you need your device to be the size of your tablet, Bam just reduce/collapse the device to that size, if you want it smaller to hold in your pocket reduce it more. Granted the price would be insane , but this is the Future.....waaay into the Future.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow, if that is the case that's a little crazy. I'm on T-Mobile JOD and planned on pre-ordering the S8+ and then order the Note 8 (or whatever it's called) when it's available but if it does indeed have a foldable screen I'll pass. Maybe they will provide two versions of the phone (foldable & non foldable)?

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow, if that is the case that's a little crazy. I'm on T-Mobile JOD and planned on pre-ordering the S8+ and then order the Note 8 (or whatever it's called) when it's available but if it does indeed have a foldable screen I'll pass. Maybe they will provide two versions of the phone (foldable & non foldable)?
Then that would make 4 phones , one with the 6.4 " inch phone, the second a possible 5.8" (or whatever size it said), and the two foldable and unfoldable phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7